Go Back   Zukikrawlers > Technical > Tracker/Sidekick/Grand Vitara/X-90 forums

Photo Gallery Home Forum FlashChat Email

Tracker/Sidekick/Grand Vitara/X-90 forums This section was designed for all later year Zuks.

Old 04-19-2011, 08:18 PM   #1
Nightcrawler

Nightcrawler is an unknown quantity at this point
Lift question for a geo tracker?

I'm wanting to lift my 94' geo tracker. Is there a cheap way to do it without buying a lift kit. I want it to be able to flex more on trails. What would be the best way to do it? Could I just add some new shocks and coils or whats the best way? How hard would a solid axle swap be? What would be the best way to do one?
Nightcrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 10:02 PM   #2
Bowie Kid

Bowie Kid has a reputation beyond reputeBowie Kid has a reputation beyond reputeBowie Kid has a reputation beyond reputeBowie Kid has a reputation beyond reputeBowie Kid has a reputation beyond reputeBowie Kid has a reputation beyond reputeBowie Kid has a reputation beyond reputeBowie Kid has a reputation beyond reputeBowie Kid has a reputation beyond reputeBowie Kid has a reputation beyond reputeBowie Kid has a reputation beyond repute
You can get a 2" lift off e-bay for 150.00. This is donut for the coils and an extension for the front struts. Only other thing you need is new shocks for the back and camber bolts for the struts. 2" for $200.
The fancy kits run upwards of a grand and give you 2.5 to 3"suspension lift and up to 3" body lift and will allow 31" tires.
SAS, well, that's another story.

1987 tintop, VW 1.6 turbo diesel with mods, Volvo 4 speed auto, 6.5 tc, yj's, ft and rear e-lockers, 33's on Yotas.
1991 Tracker30x9.50's, rear locker, 2" body, 2.5" RRO suspension lift.
1970 LJ10 waiting on engine repairs.

[/IMG]
Bowie Kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 10:16 PM   #3
shorty
Zuki SPCA

shorty has a reputation beyond reputeshorty has a reputation beyond reputeshorty has a reputation beyond reputeshorty has a reputation beyond reputeshorty has a reputation beyond reputeshorty has a reputation beyond reputeshorty has a reputation beyond reputeshorty has a reputation beyond reputeshorty has a reputation beyond reputeshorty has a reputation beyond reputeshorty has a reputation beyond repute
I use F150 rear shocks and stock TJ coils and a homemade upper 3 link spacer in the rear. then found the front only coil spacers for $88(shipped) on CL in Missouri or IL near St. Louis.

I only ran a 235/75 All terrain and the rear would completely stuff into the wheel wells and I drove the front driver tire up on a 35" bogger.

Family values = discounted rates at Chuck E. Cheese

Founding member of the post padders union
TX State Rep for Local 10001

pie

shorty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 10:22 PM   #4
Ericyzf359

Ericyzf359 is an unknown quantity at this point
solid axle swap is way simpler then people make it out to be if you can measure and weld then your more the capable of doing it if you go spring over you will achieve about a foot of lift thats about what i got for the rear did jeep coils with 3 inch coil spacers f 150 shocks and limiting straps and built my own custom three link to extend the rear an inch to center it in the wheel well its not to hard
Ericyzf359 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 11:13 PM   #5
Nightcrawler

Yea I can measure and weld just not sure of cost or time it takes. Right now I've got 31s but idk if it's lifted. And the tops of the fenders are bent in cause of bumps.
Not to familiar with trackers so it's all new to me. Any other ways to lift it? Other than body and what has been said or other ways to do what was said?
Old 04-20-2011, 09:02 AM   #6
Ericyzf359

it took me like 3 days to do the solid axle swap if i were to do it again it would take me max 6 hours
Old 04-20-2011, 09:16 AM   #7
New Guy

New Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNew Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNew Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNew Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNew Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNew Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNew Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNew Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNew Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNew Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNew Guy has a reputation beyond repute
Same. sas is a cheap and easy way to get any amount of lift and massive flex. Cost me maybe $200 all told to do the sas in mine.

pie

New Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 07:53 PM   #8
Nightcrawler

What's the best way to do a sas? Leaf springs or track bars or whatever it's called like a jeep or whatever? Which is easiest/hardest?
Old 04-20-2011, 11:44 PM   #9
Ericyzf359

leaf springs is the best way to go if you go spring under axle you just have to extend the samurai drag link a few inches and weld spring hangers very simple you wont need drive line spacers unless you go spring over the tracker calipers and rotors fit rite on with no mods to them so does you third member and differential but i would swap your gears to a samurai steel housing i snapped my tracker diff clean out of my axle the other week costly mistake
Old 04-21-2011, 12:01 AM   #10
New Guy

New Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNew Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNew Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNew Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNew Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNew Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNew Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNew Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNew Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNew Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNew Guy has a reputation beyond repute
So far my aluminum housing is holding up fine, and ask the few people who have seen me wheel. I'm not afraid to beat it around to avoid body damage.

I went spring under and with the axle centered in the wheel wells, a 3" extension of the drag link was way too much... Best to center everything up and personally measure in each case, imo. I was told 3". It didn't work.

Leaf springs makes it easy. Couple of custom-made shackles, spring hangers from LROR or whoever, and... Two of these for shackle hangers. Stock rear leaves are not hard to come by and you can probably find a set here on the site for the cost of the ride.

With factory rear leaves, making the mounting position 9 3/4" back from the bend up in the frame will almost perfectly center the wheels in a SPUA configuration. I assume (we know what that does) that it will also center them in a SPOA configuration as well.

I would recommend SAS only if it is not going to be your DD. It makes your turning radius suck and it isn't half as smooth to ride in unless you go coils... But it also makes them easily compete with Sammis for offroad abilities.

pie

New Guy is offline   Reply With Quote