Go Back   Zukikrawlers > Members Location > Plains Region
Photo Gallery Home Forum FlashChat Email

Plains Region Texas | Kansas | Nebraska | North Dakota | South Dakota | Oklahoma |Kansas

Old 02-14-2006, 04:34 PM   #1
TX_ZUKI
Administrator

TX_ZUKI has a reputation beyond reputeTX_ZUKI has a reputation beyond reputeTX_ZUKI has a reputation beyond reputeTX_ZUKI has a reputation beyond reputeTX_ZUKI has a reputation beyond reputeTX_ZUKI has a reputation beyond reputeTX_ZUKI has a reputation beyond reputeTX_ZUKI has a reputation beyond reputeTX_ZUKI has a reputation beyond reputeTX_ZUKI has a reputation beyond reputeTX_ZUKI has a reputation beyond repute
Texas OHV Sticker

http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/newsmedi...?req=20060130c

Media Contact for This Release: Tom Harvey, (512) 389-4453, tom.harvey@tpwd.state.tx.us

Jan. 30, 2006

New Off-Highway Vehicle Decal To Fund Trail Grants
AUSTIN, Texas ó As directed by a new state law, the Texas Parks and Wildlife Department is starting a new Texas Off-Highway Vehicle (OHV) Program that requires people who buy a vehicle sold for off road use on public land in Texas to buy an annual decal. Decal sales revenue will fund grants to create or improve motor vehicle parks in Texas.

Decals are not required for OHV use on private lands.

For the first year of the program, the OHV decal will cost $8 and will be current from Jan. 1-Aug. 31, 2006. After the first year, OHV decals will be good from Sep. 1 through the following Aug. 31, matching the TPWD fiscal year.

OHV decals are now available for sale, and game wardens will begin enforcing the new rules. A person caught riding on public land without a decal could be issued a citation and fined.

Decals can be purchased over the phone with a credit card by calling (512) 389-8917. Eventually, decals may be sold over the Internet and at some OHV parks and dealerships.

The 78th Texas Legislature enacted Senate Bill 155 several years ago, which closed all navigable stream beds in Texas, except for some parts of the Canadian and Red Rivers, to motorized recreational vehicles. That law also directed TPWD to ďfacilitate development of sites for motor vehicle recreation other than protected freshwater areas.Ē

The more recent 79th Texas Legislature in 2005 enacted Senate Bill 1311, which created the new OHV decal and program administered by the department.

The department administers another grant program that can fund off-highway vehicle projects. The National Recreational Trails Fund (NRTF) is an 80-20 matching grant that requires recipients to provide an amount equal to 20 percent of the federal grant. Funds come from a portion of the federal gas tax generated by gasoline purchases to utilize off-road recreational vehicles, such as off-road motorcycles and all-terrain vehicles. A federal requirement is that 30 percent of the funds be spent on motorized recreational trail projects, 30 percent on non-motorized trail projects, with the remaining 40 percent discretionary.

ďThere is a growing demand for OHV recreation areas in Texas, and most off-road enthusiasts will tell you there are too few places for people to ride,Ē said Steve Thompson with the TPWD Recreational Grants Branch in Austin.

ďOur agency has been directed by the legislature to provide more OHV opportunities. We want to do that in ways that are safe and environmentally sustainable and that maintain good relations with neighbors and local communities.Ē

The Barnwell Mountain Recreational Area in Northeast Texas is one example of an OHV venue. The Texas Motorized Trails Coalition has operated the 1,800-acre site in Upshur County since 2000. Facilities include showers, restrooms, an air station, pavilion, office and campsites with R/V hookups and electricity. News articles have quoted local officials in nearby Gilmer praising the operation as safe and positive in bringing economic development to the area.

Relatively few public parks or public lands in Texas currently allow OHV recreation. The department is compiling a list of public parks or land where OHV recreation is legal. Shown below, the list currently stands at 16 locations, but it is expected to change as TPWD gets new information. This list of OHV legal sites is in draft form. The list is expected to be complete later this month will eventually be published on the department Web site.

Eisenhower State Park north of Dallas is the only state park that offers OHV recreation, but only in a 10-acre Mini Bike Park within the state park. TPWD wildlife management areas are not open to recreational trail riding; however, ATV use by people with disabilities who have an official placard or license plate is allowed for them to travel to and from hunting or fishing locations in WMAs.

Goals of the new OHV program are to establish and maintain a public system of trails and other recreational areas for off-highway vehicles, improve existing trails and other recreational areas and foster responsible use of off-highway vehicles.

The legislation defines ďoff-highway vehicleĒ as either (1) an all-terrain vehicle, as defined by Section 663.001 of the Transportation Code; (2) an off-highway motorcycle; or (3) any other four-wheel drive vehicle not registered to be driven on a highway.

The new decal is required for any OHV operating in Texas on public land or on land purchased with grant funding from TPWD.

Parks and Public Lands in Texas Where the Texas OHV Decal Is Required
Austin/Travis County:

Emma Long City Park (Motorcycles only)
Silverton/Briscoe County:

Lake Mackenzie Recreation Area (ATVís & Motorcycles only)
Pampa/Gray County:

McClellan National Grassland (ATVís & Motorcycles only)
Brenham/Washington County:

US Army Corp of Engineers Lake Summerville/Rocky Creek OHV area (ATVís & Motorcycles only)
Montgomery/Walker & Grimes Counties:

Sam Houston National Forest (ATVís & Motorcycles only)
Brownsville/Cameron County:

Boca Chica Beach (ATVís only)
Gilmer/Upshur County:

Barnwell Mountain Recreational Area (ATVís, Motorcycles & Full Size OHVís)
Pottsboro/Grayson County:

Eisenhower State Park (10 acre Mini Bike Park only)
Fabens/El Paso County:

San Felipe County Park (Dune Buggies, ATVís & Motorcycles)
Trophy Club/Denton County:

Marshall Creek OHV Area (ATVís, Motorcycles & Full Size OHVís)
Big Spring/Howard County:

Moss Creek Lake Recreation Area (ATVís & Motorcycles only)
San Angelo/Tom Green County:

Twin Buttes Reservoir Park (ATVís & Motorcycles only)
Lake Meredith National Recreation Area/Alibates National Monument/Moore & Potter Counties:

Blue Creek OHV Area (ATVís, Motorcycles, Full Size OHVís, Dune Buggies & Sand Rails).
Rosita OHV Area (ATVís, Motorcycles, Full Size OHVís, Dune Buggies & Sand Rails).
Navigable Rivers: (ATVís, Motorcycles, Full Size OHVís, Dune Buggies & Sand Rails).

Canadian River: (Oldham, Potter, Hutchinson, Roberts, & Hemphill Counties) (ATVís, Motorcycles, Full Size OHVís, Dune Buggies & Sand Rails).
Prairie Dog Town Fork of the Red River: (Randall, Armstrong, and Briscoe Counties) (ATVís, Motorcycles, Full Size OHVís, Dune Buggies & Sand Rails).

87' Suzuki Samurai, 1.6 16V EFI-14 Bolt rear Locked, D44 Front Detroit Locker, 5.13 gears,Full Ext./Inter. Cage, 8:1 Transfer Gears, 39.5 Iroks on Trail Ready Beadlocks, Hydro Steering, Big Horn Air Shocks & linked!

TX_ZUKI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2006, 06:20 PM   #2
Itsmejoe231
Krawler

Itsmejoe231 has a reputation beyond reputeItsmejoe231 has a reputation beyond reputeItsmejoe231 has a reputation beyond reputeItsmejoe231 has a reputation beyond reputeItsmejoe231 has a reputation beyond reputeItsmejoe231 has a reputation beyond reputeItsmejoe231 has a reputation beyond reputeItsmejoe231 has a reputation beyond reputeItsmejoe231 has a reputation beyond reputeItsmejoe231 has a reputation beyond reputeItsmejoe231 has a reputation beyond repute
I have mixed feelings about this sticker. Dont get me wrong I think it a good thing that the money will be used for improving trails, parks, and such for OHV's use. Where I have the beef is that it only applies to vehicles that are not registered to be on the highways. There are people that drive there vehicles to the parks and use the trails just as much as trail only vehicles and should be required to buy a sticker as well. After all, they want the same benifit from the sticker as the trail only OHV owners do.

I just think it should be required that all OHV owners buy a sticker including the registered vehicles that use the same trails as we do.

Yes, the registered vehicles have to pay a road tax but none of that money is going to the improvement of our parks and trails. I am sure there will be some that will purchase a sticker for there registered trail rig for the support of the cause and I will praise those who do.

Itsmejoe231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2006, 06:40 PM   #3
Billjohn

Billjohn has a reputation beyond reputeBilljohn has a reputation beyond reputeBilljohn has a reputation beyond reputeBilljohn has a reputation beyond reputeBilljohn has a reputation beyond reputeBilljohn has a reputation beyond reputeBilljohn has a reputation beyond reputeBilljohn has a reputation beyond reputeBilljohn has a reputation beyond reputeBilljohn has a reputation beyond reputeBilljohn has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by Itsmejoe231
I am sure there will be some that will purchase a sticker for there registered trail rig for the support of the cause and I will praise those who do.
Good idea.

Billjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2006, 06:42 PM   #4
Itsmejoe231
Krawler

Itsmejoe231 has a reputation beyond reputeItsmejoe231 has a reputation beyond reputeItsmejoe231 has a reputation beyond reputeItsmejoe231 has a reputation beyond reputeItsmejoe231 has a reputation beyond reputeItsmejoe231 has a reputation beyond reputeItsmejoe231 has a reputation beyond reputeItsmejoe231 has a reputation beyond reputeItsmejoe231 has a reputation beyond reputeItsmejoe231 has a reputation beyond reputeItsmejoe231 has a reputation beyond repute
For some reason I thought you would be one of the ones to buy a sticker for your rig.

Old 02-14-2006, 06:53 PM   #5
TX_ZUKI
Administrator

TX_ZUKI has a reputation beyond reputeTX_ZUKI has a reputation beyond reputeTX_ZUKI has a reputation beyond reputeTX_ZUKI has a reputation beyond reputeTX_ZUKI has a reputation beyond reputeTX_ZUKI has a reputation beyond reputeTX_ZUKI has a reputation beyond reputeTX_ZUKI has a reputation beyond reputeTX_ZUKI has a reputation beyond reputeTX_ZUKI has a reputation beyond reputeTX_ZUKI has a reputation beyond repute
I agree with you Joe, I bet you will find that will change in time.

87' Suzuki Samurai, 1.6 16V EFI-14 Bolt rear Locked, D44 Front Detroit Locker, 5.13 gears,Full Ext./Inter. Cage, 8:1 Transfer Gears, 39.5 Iroks on Trail Ready Beadlocks, Hydro Steering, Big Horn Air Shocks & linked!

Old 02-14-2006, 08:00 PM   #6
01rededge

01rededge is on a distinguished road
I will buy a sticker for both my rigs, whether my Ranger ever sees dirt again or not.

I'd rather pay the money and HOPE it isn't used for anything other than the creation and maintanance of OHV areas.
Old 03-18-2006, 08:48 PM   #7
Billjohn

Billjohn has a reputation beyond reputeBilljohn has a reputation beyond reputeBilljohn has a reputation beyond reputeBilljohn has a reputation beyond reputeBilljohn has a reputation beyond reputeBilljohn has a reputation beyond reputeBilljohn has a reputation beyond reputeBilljohn has a reputation beyond reputeBilljohn has a reputation beyond reputeBilljohn has a reputation beyond reputeBilljohn has a reputation beyond repute
Link no worky...
But this one does.
http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/newsmedi...2006&nrsearch=

Billjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2006, 10:50 PM   #8
Itsmejoe231
Krawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by TX_ZUKI
I agree with you Joe, I bet you will find that will change in time.
So, In time you will not agree with me?

Old 03-19-2006, 01:30 AM   #9
TX_ZUKI
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Itsmejoe231
So, In time you will not agree with me?
Oh damn!

Old 04-11-2006, 09:33 AM   #10
Ruttdigger
IBZ member since '06

Ruttdigger is a glorious beacon of lightRuttdigger is a glorious beacon of lightRuttdigger is a glorious beacon of lightRuttdigger is a glorious beacon of lightRuttdigger is a glorious beacon of lightRuttdigger is a glorious beacon of light
It is my understanding that if you are tagged as a streetable rig then the sticker program doesnt apply...

I sure hope that we get more full size parks... look how crazy it is for atv and bikes.

Hooter's Handwipe
Ruttdigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2006, 03:07 PM   #11
primetime

primetime is on a distinguished road
got 2 for my trail rig & dd. i just did that for the support.
i dont go to any of those parks that require the stickes. just to far. hopefully soon io open in ozona 2hrs away.
all the parks in & around san antonio are private & dont need stickers
primetime is offline   Reply With Quote