Go Back   Zukikrawlers > Technical > Axle Talk
Photo Gallery Home Forum FlashChat Email

Axle Talk This section is for all your other axle talks, D44, D60, 14bolt, Ford 9" etc. If you have a write up please post it, if you have a axle question ask away.

Old 07-18-2015, 08:33 PM   #1
RunninWild

RunninWild will become famous soon enough
Land rover axles?

I was at pick a part today and noticed an 87 land rover with solid axles still intact and in good shape. Does anyone do this swap? The rover was coil sprung and I'd probably just cut the mounts and go the yj route but I was just curious if there were any advantages or disadvantages of the toyo axle swap? In my area those axles are hard to find and expensive, these looked to be in fairly good shape, had the pumpkin in the right place and had 4 way disc brakes and all the steering still intact. Is there any kits out there for mating them to the transfer case? I don't have much experience doing heavy modifications so I'm thinking this might be too advanced?

If my google skills are worth anything the gear ratio is 3.54 which would be perfect for my diesel swap! Think it might even have an E locker?

this is the donor

Last edited by RunninWild; 07-18-2015 at 08:49 PM.
RunninWild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2017, 10:00 AM   #2
Richard T

Richard T is an unknown quantity at this point
There are no kits, but welding on tabs to match your previous locations would be the same. Land Rovers in that year range are cheap, often with nice interior, but the engines seem to always be junk at 120k miles or less.

I have thought of using them in my Sidekick, but the gearing options are not there for my application. I am running 5.12s now and need to move up for even bigger tires.
Richard T is offline   Reply With Quote