Go Back   Zukikrawlers > Zuki Gatherings and Events > Trail Reports and Ratings
Photo Gallery Home Forum FlashChat Email

Trail Reports and Ratings Adventures in wheeling. Tell us about your last trip!

Old 07-07-2014, 12:18 PM   #1
Bushmaster

Bushmaster has a reputation beyond reputeBushmaster has a reputation beyond reputeBushmaster has a reputation beyond reputeBushmaster has a reputation beyond reputeBushmaster has a reputation beyond reputeBushmaster has a reputation beyond reputeBushmaster has a reputation beyond reputeBushmaster has a reputation beyond reputeBushmaster has a reputation beyond reputeBushmaster has a reputation beyond reputeBushmaster has a reputation beyond repute
Tuttle Creek ORV Park, Randolph Kansas

July 5th we took a trip to Tuttle Creek ORV park just outside of Randolph, Kansas. This trip was to be the final test of two recently completed samurai before heading to Colorado at the end of July. The white rig broke one t case mount (one of the cheapo, made in India junkers) on a steep climb with a ledge in it. We put a used stocker back in and kept wheelin’. This was our only breakdown of the day. Our Jeep driving friend (you can pick your friends, can’t pick what they wheel) Wally had his Rubicon on 35’s along. He was playing with tire pressure in his new MTRs. Both of the Zuks are on 33 x10.50 KM2. My brother and I were able to go about anywhere the Rubi went. The slightly smaller size of the Zuk gave more line options on many obstacles.

The real highlight of the trip was the crew of people parked next to us. They had a Cherokee, a full size bronco and a old full size long box ¾ ton ford pickup on bald highway treads. All were stock. All were junk. And did I mention they were ? They broke the pickup and would not listen to anyone else’s advice on how to get it on the trailer. They pulled the truck onto the trailer with the Cherokee. But not without almost killing one of them first. And I am not exaggerating at all. They hooked two short straps together to get the length they needed. The way they hooked them together…. They all needed to be lined up and beaten with a tire iron. They looped the straps together and slid a ROCK thru to hold it. It held it just long enough to get about 3 tons of ford pickup stretched behind it and then it happened. The rock went thru the back of the Cherokee like a canon ball. It almost went thru the windshield directly in front of the steering wheel. I think the only thing that kept him alive was that he had poked his head out the side window for a moment so he could hear his friends telling him to mash on the throttle. I looked over and saw him motionless in the truck and I about crapped my pants. The mud on the outside of the windshield looked an awful lot like grey matter. We yelled at the friends that were standing around laughing about it to let them know they needed to see if their friend was OK. He was in shock. I think they were all too dumb to learn a lesson from it. Still makes my stomach hurt thinking about it.

The weather was HOT and humid. Slight south breeze was not adequate, but more would have made too much dust. Traction was great as there was very little mud to be found. Thankfully the rock here is limestone and is much more forgiving than granite. We chalked up our rims pretty good and “barber poled” the rear drive shafts on both Zuks. The diffs and especially the drive flange / yoke / drive shaft is the limiting factor on where these trucks will go. Sometimes you can’t find the right line to clear everything. You have to decide if you want to smash or pass. In Colorado we will be more careful with the drive train.
Bushmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 12:23 PM   #2
Bushmaster

Bushmaster has a reputation beyond reputeBushmaster has a reputation beyond reputeBushmaster has a reputation beyond reputeBushmaster has a reputation beyond reputeBushmaster has a reputation beyond reputeBushmaster has a reputation beyond reputeBushmaster has a reputation beyond reputeBushmaster has a reputation beyond reputeBushmaster has a reputation beyond reputeBushmaster has a reputation beyond reputeBushmaster has a reputation beyond repute

The lineup.

My blue sammy

My twin brothers rig- White Cloud. She looks rough but works like a dream. Actually, the truck looks pretty good in this pic.
Old 07-07-2014, 12:26 PM   #3
Bushmaster

One of the many ledges at Tuttle.

The rock garden at Tuttle changes alot. There were a lot more big rocks / boulders in it this trip. It looked like someone dumped a truckload or two of boulders in. One large rock appeared to have teeth marks from and excavator bucket.
Old 07-07-2014, 12:32 PM   #4
Bushmaster

The park is not huge, a full day will get you through most of it. Plenty of NASTY for big buggies. Easier trails for the less inclined (pun intended) Lots of stock jeeps, side by sides, dirt bikes, trials bikes. There was even an old vw dune buggy cruizing around. I would guess there were over 50 rigs on the trails and we rarely saw anyone.