Go Back   Zukikrawlers > Technical > Build-up Garage
Photo Gallery Home Forum FlashChat Email

Build-up Garage Showcase your build up! If you are building it, we want to see it!

Old 10-16-2007, 01:03 AM   #1
uglyzuk
hold my beer, watch this!

uglyzuk is on a distinguished road
budget sidekick buggy build

nothin super fansy (actually ugly as heck) but it runs like a champ! it WAS a 1991 sidekick 4door, the guy i bought it from already had it torn down to the floor. i bought it off a guy who has a shop and it was one of his clients daughters daily driver but she rolled it, he got it off them (probably for free would be my guess) and didn't really do anything with it other than hack off the body. so heres the start of a new build, it will be a simple cheap build (as most of my builds as) but it should be fun. has a fuel injected 1.6 motor with manual tranny. it already has 5:38 gears so thats always a plus
the plans are to make it a 3 seater truggy.
i already took all the carpet and the back seat out.
things on the "to-do" list
* weld a cage
* weld spider gears in rear
* put on a 3" body lift
the plan is to have that stuff done by the halloween run at shiloh in a few weeks, after that i might straight axle and i'd like to put in racing harness seats.
here are a few pics...

this is how it looked when i got it:

after i took out the back seat and carpet:

i took this bumper off my old xj before i sold it, i'm gonna use it on the front of this:

88.5 sami with exo cage and 8,000lb winch. tracker rear axle 5.12gears, locked rear.

need some 31s
uglyzuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2007, 01:07 AM   #2
uglyzuk

well got some more work done the last few days.
here is the front bumper, now welded in its place. the radiator isn't mounted yet but this will give yall an idea of how its going to be in there.

what we've got done on the cage so far.

well...thats one way of getting tire clearance!

the bar that will go on the front

88.5 sami with exo cage and 8,000lb winch. tracker rear axle 5.12gears, locked rear.

need some 31s
Old 10-16-2007, 01:10 AM   #3
uglyzuk

now this is how she sits currently after hours of work today. i changed the hubs so it's 4wd now and we got the cage done for the most part. radiator is mounted and i got the fan hoked up on a toggle switch on the dash.

need some 31s
Old 10-16-2007, 01:17 AM   #4
shorty
Zuki SPCA

shorty has a reputation beyond reputeshorty has a reputation beyond reputeshorty has a reputation beyond reputeshorty has a reputation beyond reputeshorty has a reputation beyond reputeshorty has a reputation beyond reputeshorty has a reputation beyond reputeshorty has a reputation beyond reputeshorty has a reputation beyond reputeshorty has a reputation beyond reputeshorty has a reputation beyond repute
Likes like it could be a blast to ride in!!! Not like you would care about damamge!!

Family values = discounted rates at Chuck E. Cheese

Founding member of the post padders union
TX State Rep for Local 10001

pie

shorty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2007, 01:37 AM   #5
uglyzuk

Quote:
Originally Posted by shorty View Post
Likes like it could be a blast to ride in!!! Not like you would care about damamge!!
nope, aint near as nice of a cage as what you got but it will keep us from falling out or getting hurt. i know this isn't the best cage in the world but i'm in no way trying to make it a badass hardcore buggy, just want somthing to cruise trails in.

need some 31s
Old 10-27-2007, 08:41 AM   #6
Nuts

Nuts has a reputation beyond reputeNuts has a reputation beyond reputeNuts has a reputation beyond reputeNuts has a reputation beyond reputeNuts has a reputation beyond reputeNuts has a reputation beyond reputeNuts has a reputation beyond reputeNuts has a reputation beyond reputeNuts has a reputation beyond reputeNuts has a reputation beyond reputeNuts has a reputation beyond repute
have you even been to Haspin Acres? I thought I saw this there a few weeks ago...
Nuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2007, 08:59 PM   #7
crazyatvn

crazyatvn has a reputation beyond reputecrazyatvn has a reputation beyond reputecrazyatvn has a reputation beyond reputecrazyatvn has a reputation beyond reputecrazyatvn has a reputation beyond reputecrazyatvn has a reputation beyond reputecrazyatvn has a reputation beyond reputecrazyatvn has a reputation beyond reputecrazyatvn has a reputation beyond reputecrazyatvn has a reputation beyond reputecrazyatvn has a reputation beyond repute
I have to ask how much did you pay for it?
crazyatvn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2007, 09:32 PM   #8
oklazukguy
The snake says.....

oklazukguy has a reputation beyond reputeoklazukguy has a reputation beyond reputeoklazukguy has a reputation beyond reputeoklazukguy has a reputation beyond reputeoklazukguy has a reputation beyond reputeoklazukguy has a reputation beyond reputeoklazukguy has a reputation beyond reputeoklazukguy has a reputation beyond reputeoklazukguy has a reputation beyond reputeoklazukguy has a reputation beyond reputeoklazukguy has a reputation beyond repute
Dude, you gotta stop fabbing when you're drunk!

Seriously, looks like it could be a fun little ride.
oklazukguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2007, 12:20 AM   #9
Bass Man

Bass Man has a reputation beyond reputeBass Man has a reputation beyond reputeBass Man has a reputation beyond reputeBass Man has a reputation beyond reputeBass Man has a reputation beyond reputeBass Man has a reputation beyond reputeBass Man has a reputation beyond reputeBass Man has a reputation beyond reputeBass Man has a reputation beyond reputeBass Man has a reputation beyond reputeBass Man has a reputation beyond repute
I would have made a dune rig out of that, but I don't think you have dunes around there...

Man...

This really makes me want to build up my dad's Sidekick again for just dunes!...

If you want budget lift;
Buy 2 4 door Honda Accord rear struts and take the springs out of them and use for rear coils, then go to your local parts house and buy a pair of overload spacers for the front coils.

I would lift it like that ^^^ and weld both diffs and just wheel it dead.
Bass Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2007, 01:02 AM   #10
jackson
im back!

jackson has a reputation beyond reputejackson has a reputation beyond reputejackson has a reputation beyond reputejackson has a reputation beyond reputejackson has a reputation beyond reputejackson has a reputation beyond reputejackson has a reputation beyond reputejackson has a reputation beyond reputejackson has a reputation beyond reputejackson has a reputation beyond reputejackson has a reputation beyond repute
video is gonna be a must and be safe!!!

"The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated."

Proud member of the bigflex padders union Local 10001

http://zuksoffroad.com
jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2007, 01:29 AM   #11
uglyzuk

haha i have some pics from shiloh-ridge for a halloween run (in alto texas) i'll try to post up soon. i think i'm gonna go ahead and straight axle it and lift her a decent amount, then time to actually make that cage decent, i wouldn't trust it to a very rough roll yet. ok i need advice from you guys though, i haven't wheeled a sami in a few years and i need some brushing up on my knowledge. would a sami axle work under the front of this thing or is it drasticly shorter? if shorter (which if i remember right i think it is by a good amount) what would be my best bet? i was thinking about jeep axles but then i'd have to re-gear 2 axles because i wont be able to find a set geared near as low as i have right now. is there a front axle that would be close to the size as my stock rear axle that way i'd only have to worry about regearing one axle opposed to too. i like my 5: 38 gears! i dont plan on running over 31s so i figure my rear will still be fine, if i can find a front somewhat close in size to run with it. otherwise i might be going a little wider. not really wanting to run full width axles though cause i enjoy driving really tight trails (aka 4wheeler trails). thanks for any help you can give me!
-jordan-

need some 31s
Old 10-31-2007, 01:33 AM   #12
uglyzuk

need some 31s
Old 10-31-2007, 01:34 AM   #13
uglyzuk

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeeSnuts View Post
have you even been to Haspin Acres? I thought I saw this there a few weeks ago...
nope, never heard of the place, i cant believe someone else has a rig near as ugly as mine though

need some 31s
Old 10-31-2007, 07:39 AM   #14
scrubb
I'm a Toys R Us kid

scrubb has a reputation beyond reputescrubb has a reputation beyond reputescrubb has a reputation beyond reputescrubb has a reputation beyond reputescrubb has a reputation beyond reputescrubb has a reputation beyond reputescrubb has a reputation beyond reputescrubb has a reputation beyond reputescrubb has a reputation beyond reputescrubb has a reputation beyond reputescrubb has a reputation beyond repute
You can use the sammy front with some wheel spacers and your kick front third will go in the sammy front. BTW that thing looks really fun. I used to have a 2WD tracker I would wheel. I didnt cut it up like yours because i drove it on the street but it was fun because I didnt care I would take it anywere. My moto was when in doubt throttle out.

scrubb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2007, 01:18 PM   #15
uglyzuk

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrubb View Post
You can use the sammy front with some wheel spacers and your kick front third will go in the sammy front. BTW that thing looks really fun. I used to have a 2WD tracker I would wheel. I didnt cut it up like yours because i drove it on the street but it was fun because I didnt care I would take it anywere. My moto was when in doubt throttle out.
thats what i was thinking i just wasn't sure how much shorter the sami axle was. any idea? and i'm probably gonna end up running swampers (more than likely 28"tsl's or 31" ltb's) think that'd be to much stress with swampers, offset wheels, and spacers?

need some 31s
Old 10-31-2007, 02:41 PM   #16
scrubb
I'm a Toys R Us kid

scrubb has a reputation beyond reputescrubb has a reputation beyond reputescrubb has a reputation beyond reputescrubb has a reputation beyond reputescrubb has a reputation beyond reputescrubb has a reputation beyond reputescrubb has a reputation beyond reputescrubb has a reputation beyond reputescrubb has a reputation beyond reputescrubb has a reputation beyond reputescrubb has a reputation beyond repute
As light weight as your rig is I wouldn't think you would have a problem. I know several people run kick rearends in sammys with spacers up front so what is the differance?

scrubb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2007, 03:34 AM   #17
uglyzuk

stay posted for updates! i just picked up 33" ssr's, 4" lift leaf springs for a cj and i'm about to pick up a straight axle.

need some 31s
Old 11-26-2007, 02:34 AM   #18
uglyzuk

need some 31s
Old 11-27-2007, 01:33 AM   #19
Danazook
Tha Good Hood Killa

Danazook has a reputation beyond reputeDanazook has a reputation beyond reputeDanazook has a reputation beyond reputeDanazook has a reputation beyond reputeDanazook has a reputation beyond reputeDanazook has a reputation beyond reputeDanazook has a reputation beyond reputeDanazook has a reputation beyond reputeDanazook has a reputation beyond reputeDanazook has a reputation beyond reputeDanazook has a reputation beyond repute
if your planning on going bigger and wheeling harder terrain you might want to reconsider you cage setup!!! I spent alot of time and planning when I built mine and it tweaked really bad when I rolled at disney!!!!
Rig 2
87 Zook, 1.3L EFI, CJ rear/RUF, Missing Links Front & Rear, 5.14:1 Tcase, Toys, 33 TSLs
Daily Driver Project
87 Tintop, 2wd, 1.3L, My-Side, Header
Danazook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2007, 06:44 PM   #20
uglyzuk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danazook View Post
if your planning on going bigger and wheeling harder terrain you might want to reconsider you cage setup!!! I spent alot of time and planning when I built mine and it tweaked really bad when I rolled at disney!!!!
eh, i'm not going to go anywhere that extreme. but i agree, plans to strengthin the cage are on the "to do" list. hope to straight axle and make a safe cage over the christmas break (between hunting trips of course). also plan on adding harness seats.

need some 31s
Old 12-13-2007, 02:12 AM   #21
uglyzuk

need some 31s