Go Back   Zukikrawlers > Technical > Build-up Garage
Photo Gallery Home Forum FlashChat Email

Build-up Garage Showcase your build up! If you are building it, we want to see it!

Old 08-05-2014, 12:51 PM   #1
talonxracer

talonxracer has a reputation beyond reputetalonxracer has a reputation beyond reputetalonxracer has a reputation beyond reputetalonxracer has a reputation beyond reputetalonxracer has a reputation beyond reputetalonxracer has a reputation beyond reputetalonxracer has a reputation beyond reputetalonxracer has a reputation beyond reputetalonxracer has a reputation beyond reputetalonxracer has a reputation beyond reputetalonxracer has a reputation beyond repute
New Sidekick project

Well the northern winters have done it's nasty work on my 98' Sidekick, the rockers are completely shot along with the drivers side door jamb, the cab corner(front) is ate up, and 4 body mounts are non-existant at this moment. so I snagged a fairly rust free Tracker from Virginia. This "new to me" tracker is a 96', auto trans. It isn't perfect by any stretch, but at least the rust damage is easily corrected. The plan is to swap bodies(after this one is cleaned and painted), transmissions(5spd to 3spd auto), 4.2 TC gears along with dual sticks and at least 1 ARB(thinking ARB up front and mini spool in the rear right now(going with 235/85/16 Duratracs)

When I got her home,
No soft top and it was starting to rain and why the tarp,

And here she is part way thru the tear down,
seats, carpet and sound deadener removed,

Fenders, grill, headlights and bumpers removed and starting on clearing the engine bay,

MUTANTS for NUKES,,, feel the GLOW !!!
talonxracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 04:59 PM   #2
ecoast

ecoast has a reputation beyond reputeecoast has a reputation beyond reputeecoast has a reputation beyond reputeecoast has a reputation beyond reputeecoast has a reputation beyond reputeecoast has a reputation beyond reputeecoast has a reputation beyond reputeecoast has a reputation beyond reputeecoast has a reputation beyond reputeecoast has a reputation beyond reputeecoast has a reputation beyond repute
you work fast!

nice meeting you; get it done and come back to wheel
what the hell you lookin' down here for?

ecoast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 05:15 PM   #3
talonxracer

talonxracer has a reputation beyond reputetalonxracer has a reputation beyond reputetalonxracer has a reputation beyond reputetalonxracer has a reputation beyond reputetalonxracer has a reputation beyond reputetalonxracer has a reputation beyond reputetalonxracer has a reputation beyond reputetalonxracer has a reputation beyond reputetalonxracer has a reputation beyond reputetalonxracer has a reputation beyond reputetalonxracer has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by ecoast View Post
you work fast!

nice meeting you; get it done and come back to wheel
LOL, I thought I was just tinkering, LOL Things always come apart a lot quicker than getting it back together, at least when dealing with rusty parts.

Nice meeting you all, wish I could have wheeled with you guys a bit, the videos you put up are cool. But as usual when I want to do something I end up with 100 things going on at once with no way to enjoy any of it. I need to learn to say no I don't have the time to help.....(doubtful),,,, LOL

Old 08-08-2014, 01:05 PM   #4
talonxracer

I have the interior completely removed now other than the wiring and heater unit. The under dash framework is bare raw steel, well it is total rust coated to say the least. I took the panel under the steering column hit it with a scotchbrite pad and knocked off the heavy stuff and sprayed it down with EastWood Fast etch, it dissolved the rust completely and left a grey zinc coating in short order(under 30 minutes). I then wiped it down with acetone, primed and sprayed the piece white.

I am very impressed with the ease of the Fast Etch, http://www.eastwood.com/eastwood-s-fast-etch.html

untreated

treated

painted

Last edited by talonxracer; 08-08-2014 at 01:19 PM.
Old 09-06-2014, 10:45 AM   #5
rockmike

rockmike has a reputation beyond reputerockmike has a reputation beyond reputerockmike has a reputation beyond reputerockmike has a reputation beyond reputerockmike has a reputation beyond reputerockmike has a reputation beyond reputerockmike has a reputation beyond reputerockmike has a reputation beyond reputerockmike has a reputation beyond reputerockmike has a reputation beyond reputerockmike has a reputation beyond repute
Any progress on this project? Best get after it bud,farmers almanac is calling for a similar winter this year as last...thats not good for you east coast folks.

Proud member of the bigflex padders union Local 10001

There are obstacles and there are obstacles with consequences.....

Zuk people rule!
in Honor of our fallen brothers.R.I.P. brothers
pie
zero
VB
I'd rather be out wheelin thinkin about God,than sittin in a church on Sunday thinkin about wheelin.
rockmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2014, 01:50 PM   #6
talonxracer

I did some interior stuff, but lately I have been working on the old Sidekick's suspension to address the repeated destruction of the rear U-joints and some corrosion issues. I have it dialed in now to where I am very satisfied, this suspension will be swapped over to the new truck so in a way you could say I was prototyping the suspension..LoL

You are correct Mike, the farmers almanac and the local signs all point to a nasty winter, last year the fall and early winter were rather pleasant, too warm most of the time, but this year we have had a record cool summer and it hasn't improved much at all.

Old 09-06-2014, 01:54 PM   #7
talonxracer

But here are a few pics of the under dash,
before

after

underdash frame