Go Back   Zukikrawlers > Zuki Gatherings and Events > Meetings and Wheeling Trips
Photo Gallery Home Forum FlashChat Email

Meetings and Wheeling Trips Post upcoming Meeting & Trips in your area.

Old 10-09-2013, 05:39 PM   #26
geckocycles

geckocycles has a reputation beyond reputegeckocycles has a reputation beyond reputegeckocycles has a reputation beyond reputegeckocycles has a reputation beyond reputegeckocycles has a reputation beyond reputegeckocycles has a reputation beyond reputegeckocycles has a reputation beyond reputegeckocycles has a reputation beyond reputegeckocycles has a reputation beyond reputegeckocycles has a reputation beyond reputegeckocycles has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jfred View Post
I would drive mine everywhere but the 4:16 tcase and 5:12 gearing makes running 60mph at 4k a bit concerning for a 2 hour drive.
Add another 1500 to 2300 rpm for me and another hour. 5.14 and 4.30's
2240 lbs wet. 33x10.50 BFG KM2's, 5.12 T-Case, 4.30 3rds, HD output shaft, Spidy T-Case arms, Gecko Cable Locker, Gecko panhard, Spidy antiwrap bar and trussed housings, 5"x12" Breeze drop links, SPOA front and rear, Gecko Cycles Intake and Cooling manifold with 4 36mm GSXR screamin Mikuni's. 5400 lb Ft and 3000 lb rear winches, ZOR ft bumper, Gecko rear, Calmini HD rear axles, custom made 4Runner drive shafts.
geckocycles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 05:50 PM   #27
geckocycles

geckocycles has a reputation beyond reputegeckocycles has a reputation beyond reputegeckocycles has a reputation beyond reputegeckocycles has a reputation beyond reputegeckocycles has a reputation beyond reputegeckocycles has a reputation beyond reputegeckocycles has a reputation beyond reputegeckocycles has a reputation beyond reputegeckocycles has a reputation beyond reputegeckocycles has a reputation beyond reputegeckocycles has a reputation beyond repute
It has been more than 2 years maybe closer to 3 since I did it. It used to be my favorite trail and we have done speed runs of it in 45 mins before. I guess I will see how much it has changed when I get there.
Breaking is always a concern but being left behind is not. I know I worry about leaving my Sammy to go get help. Lucky that hasn't happened yet. I guess I have been lucky as I wheel by myself all the time. Just don't hop it and you will be fine. You don't have to play on every rock pile either. Take it easy as I will be for the most part. I want to get home and I have to pick up my kid in the SPrings after.
I don't have locker or cromo fronts. Unless it has changed drastically, it can be run open open and if you have enough people you can drag a stock Sammy up it, right RockFrog? LOL Anyway you used to anyway.
I always bring survival gear both in parts and camp stuff no matter what.
2240 lbs wet. 33x10.50 BFG KM2's, 5.12 T-Case, 4.30 3rds, HD output shaft, Spidy T-Case arms, Gecko Cable Locker, Gecko panhard, Spidy antiwrap bar and trussed housings, 5"x12" Breeze drop links, SPOA front and rear, Gecko Cycles Intake and Cooling manifold with 4 36mm GSXR screamin Mikuni's. 5400 lb Ft and 3000 lb rear winches, ZOR ft bumper, Gecko rear, Calmini HD rear axles, custom made 4Runner drive shafts.
Old 10-09-2013, 05:51 PM   #28
geckocycles

I'm surprised none of the other Springs regulars are interested.
Old 10-09-2013, 07:09 PM   #29
Caboose

Caboose has a reputation beyond reputeCaboose has a reputation beyond reputeCaboose has a reputation beyond reputeCaboose has a reputation beyond reputeCaboose has a reputation beyond reputeCaboose has a reputation beyond reputeCaboose has a reputation beyond reputeCaboose has a reputation beyond reputeCaboose has a reputation beyond reputeCaboose has a reputation beyond reputeCaboose has a reputation beyond repute
I asked a few. Most have plans. Rocfrog is unfortunately hindered by an injury or else he'd love to run. MSuites has to work, CatZuk may be interested, Shamrock's words were "I dunno", CsprgsZuk has family plans, and I'm still being a panzy and trying to get a local to go with me atleast . Gecko, are you coming through the Springs on your way to BV too or something? Seems like it's out of the way from Louisville?

My issue isn't with you guys. I know you'll get me off the trail at least if something was to happen. My problem is I don't really have someone I can call to come save me in BV with a truck/trailer that's readily available and I wouldn't feel like a thorn for asking. I don't have anything that can tow the sami but I was offered a trailer to use. So basically at this point I'm thinking "shut up and run it". If something happens, I'll bribe one of you with my dashboard pole dancing stripper to bring me into BV so I can try to find a uhaul or a tow truck and get prepared to spend a hefty penny. Ugh I really need to start shopping for a truck. This is like the millionth thing this year that's being a pain in my butt and it'd be avoided if I just had my own truck. Think it may be time to sell the race car and liquidate some of the "parking lot" in back to get something I actually need for a change. But till then, let me talk to the lady and see if I'm allowed to play. This will get her out of dinner with my Mom so I'm sure she'd be all for it
Caboose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 08:20 PM   #30
geckocycles

I'm in the same boat. If something were to happen it would certainly turn into more of an adventure. I don't think about having issues on any trip, I just come prepared as best I can and have a good time no matter what happens. I don't have trailer or tow rig. I'll live and be able to have a much better story of the trip if it is out of the norm. That's how I view every trip otherwise the story is short and indifferent and easily forgotten. I do try to over build for the trails I run and am not into rock crawling where I am pushing the limits anymore. I don't want to break down and have to deal with all that. I believe we are over built for that trail and wouldn't expect any issues unless the build was bad or sometimes shit just happens. You can challenge your rig if you choose to. I did hear just now from a hiker friend of a friend who is going with me that the trails are in very bad shape and doesn't think it a good idea to go. I hear that from every hiker though. They can't believe where we can go and go easily to boot. If it gets over my head I have no trouble turning around and add that trip to yet another story. There are other places to go nearby.
Have you looked at Colo4x4 for a recent trip report? I saw lots of rigs going that way Sat morn.
I prefer to go 285 from my place but if needed could go by way of the springs too. My friend is coming from Castle Rock and meeting me at the trail head Fri. He is going to ride with me. We will figure out camp spot at that point. Do some steaks and what not. I would like to camp by the river but it doesn't really matter. I'll probably show up around 3 fri. and take a look up the trail or may even just do it depending. I doubt that I will have data or cell so we will pick a time to meet at the trail head and have a backup time at the Stagestop restaurant or what ever it is called. Verizon works there, Sprint......well it doesn't work anywhere except at my shop it seems. I don't think I had cell even in Buena VIsta. When I had Verizon I even had internet on the trial.
Old 10-09-2013, 09:50 PM   #31
Caboose

Caboose has a reputation beyond reputeCaboose has a reputation beyond reputeCaboose has a reputation beyond reputeCaboose has a reputation beyond reputeCaboose has a reputation beyond reputeCaboose has a reputation beyond reputeCaboose has a reputation beyond reputeCaboose has a reputation beyond reputeCaboose has a reputation beyond reputeCaboose has a reputation beyond reputeCaboose has a reputation beyond repute
With how horrible my luck is most of the time, I just anticipate the worst. That way if everything goes perfect it classifies it as an awesome trip, even if it wasn't a hard trail . If I do end up going I don't need you to swing by the springs on my account. It'd be out of the way. I'm still trying to figure it out. Girly is throwing a fit now as she works saturday and doesn't want me going completely alone. As of now I don't even have a passenger . Ugh it kills me no one can go to get one last hoorah in before winter haha. Has anyone verified the trail is actually still open since the floods? Last I heard all the FSR and trails here in the Springs (Off stage coach road) are still shut down. I'm sure it's a different story out there though. Do you happen to remember what the speed limit is on 285?
Old 10-10-2013, 08:23 AM   #32
Jfred

Jfred has a reputation beyond reputeJfred has a reputation beyond reputeJfred has a reputation beyond reputeJfred has a reputation beyond reputeJfred has a reputation beyond reputeJfred has a reputation beyond reputeJfred has a reputation beyond reputeJfred has a reputation beyond reputeJfred has a reputation beyond reputeJfred has a reputation beyond reputeJfred has a reputation beyond repute
Speed limit on 285 is 65 for most of it. The trail is open as I have seen reports of people out there from last weekend.
Jfred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 08:27 AM   #33
geckocycles

Located on BLM land. For current conditions call the BLM Royal Gorge Field Office in Salida at (719) 539-7289.

Speed limit vary from 35 outside of Denver to 55 and 65 for the rest except through small towns.
Old 10-10-2013, 08:38 AM   #34
geckocycles

You won't be alone except for the drive to and from. There are always people on the trail and for the most part everyone is friendly and willing to help. You can do the bypasses if you want and just hang out and watch others on the rock pile or where ever.

The most thing I had issues with was stock drive shaft stuff. Bring U-Joints at the very least. Even a $10 cheap one will do as a spare.

The trail doesn't seem to get much snow or at least snow that lasts for some reason. You can run it all year long. I love snow wheeling. These things are snow mobiles with a heater.
Old 10-10-2013, 08:49 AM   #35
Jfred

Jfred has a reputation beyond reputeJfred has a reputation beyond reputeJfred has a reputation beyond reputeJfred has a reputation beyond reputeJfred has a reputation beyond reputeJfred has a reputation beyond reputeJfred has a reputation beyond reputeJfred has a reputation beyond reputeJfred has a reputation beyond reputeJfred has a reputation beyond reputeJfred has a reputation beyond repute
I will have a ton of tools with me as well. I can bring some extra drive shafts and birfs with me as I have a few extras.
Old 10-10-2013, 09:26 AM   #36
flashboiler

flashboiler has a reputation beyond reputeflashboiler has a reputation beyond reputeflashboiler has a reputation beyond reputeflashboiler has a reputation beyond reputeflashboiler has a reputation beyond reputeflashboiler has a reputation beyond reputeflashboiler has a reputation beyond reputeflashboiler has a reputation beyond reputeflashboiler has a reputation beyond reputeflashboiler has a reputation beyond reputeflashboiler has a reputation beyond repute
Best thing you can bring is Gecko. .

Your worrying too much, but I'd rather wheel with a guy who worries than just shows up with the same broken crap he wheeled last trip.

I'm out. Got family coming Sunday to cut down two trees and I have to get ready for that. Plus my nephew has the trailer Saturday.
flashboiler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 09:40 AM   #37
geckocycles

Quote:
Originally Posted by flashboiler View Post
Best thing you can bring is Gecko. .

Your worrying too much, but I'd rather wheel with a guy who worries than just shows up with the same broken crap he wheeled last trip.

I'm out. Got family coming Sunday to cut down two trees and I have to get ready for that. Plus my nephew has the trailer Saturday.
I don't know about that but it can't hurt. would be pretty close to the top too
Old 10-10-2013, 10:18 AM   #38
Jfred

Quote:
Originally Posted by geckocycles View Post
I don't know about that but it can't hurt. would be pretty close to the top too
I dont know, your picture shows you on your side.....

Last edited by Jfred; 10-10-2013 at 10:43 AM.
Old 10-10-2013, 10:23 AM   #39
geckocycles

I was changing the shocks. How do you do it?
Old 10-10-2013, 10:41 AM   #40
Jfred

I stand it upright on my spare tire. Is that wrong?
Old 10-10-2013, 02:17 PM   #41
geckocycles

What ever works for you. Who am I to say anybody is wrong.
Old 10-10-2013, 06:16 PM   #42
billsbar

billsbar has a reputation beyond reputebillsbar has a reputation beyond reputebillsbar has a reputation beyond reputebillsbar has a reputation beyond reputebillsbar has a reputation beyond reputebillsbar has a reputation beyond reputebillsbar has a reputation beyond reputebillsbar has a reputation beyond reputebillsbar has a reputation beyond reputebillsbar has a reputation beyond reputebillsbar has a reputation beyond repute
watching the local weather and it looks like it's going to get ugly up there tonight and tomorrow morning.
"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children's children what it was once like in the United States where men were free."

- President Ronald Reagan

Spell check people it's free
Proof reading your posts can even help people with the grammers skills of a pet rock.
billsbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 06:22 PM   #43
billsbar

billsbar has a reputation beyond reputebillsbar has a reputation beyond reputebillsbar has a reputation beyond reputebillsbar has a reputation beyond reputebillsbar has a reputation beyond reputebillsbar has a reputation beyond reputebillsbar has a reputation beyond reputebillsbar has a reputation beyond reputebillsbar has a reputation beyond reputebillsbar has a reputation beyond reputebillsbar has a reputation beyond repute
And a high wind watch along the front range, how fast can you go up 285 with a 60 plus mile an hour headwind? ouch
"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children's children what it was once like in the United States where men were free."

- President Ronald Reagan

Spell check people it's free
Proof reading your posts can even help people with the grammers skills of a pet rock.
billsbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 08:09 PM   #44
Caboose

I just got the go ahead to go. I'll be leaving probably around 6am, maybe earlier if I can as to give me ample time for the little 1.3 putt me along. Shamrock got back to me and said he and his lady are gonna go now, trailering their sami up there. He's setup alright but likes to blow front axles and birfs. I'll bring the usual stuff I always bring, tools, recovery gear, throttle cable, a ujoint, spare rear drive shaft, typical hose clamps, hose, fluids, wire, etc. Anything you guys would recommend I bring as well as far as parts? I've got some chromo front axles that I haven't installed as I was waiting for a locker... should I bring them along?
Old 10-10-2013, 09:05 PM   #45
Caboose

Gecko, sent you a PM!
Old 10-11-2013, 05:16 AM   #46
geckocycles

I reinjured my shoulder. I was able to finish up a set of manifolds barely. Took a couple of Vicodens and a few beers yesterday afternoon and called it the day. Woke up and the shoulder hurts but I think I will be good enough as long as I don't have to stack rocks or something. Not a very good thing when you may have to pick up a Sammy and throw it over Whale Rock/Waterfall or whatever they are calling it these days. We three should have no problems as long as the trail is still there and in reasonable shape. But throwing NIck up again or another stocker isn't going to happen. In fact I think I hurt my back the last time we drug Nick up that trail and I wasn't much help at Whale at all. Kermit was just a pup then. Poor Kermit. Just goes to show you with enough people you get a stocker up just about anything.

My main concern now is the wind. There are BIG gusts happening here now plus it is raining slightly. I've driven across 285 before many many times in strong winds, blowing snow and 0 degs. It is no fun especially at the bottom of Kenosha to Fairplay. I had the door magnets blow off once, still made it back home but it took 5 hrs from Fairplay. I remember when Zukrider had the Sammy break away flat towing just outside Jefferson. When Guenella was open,that was a good 25 mph bailout. It is closed now. Driving on 25 is out of the question in these conditions. I would get run over. I can go 75 in third or 60 in second no problem except in wind. It is still just a 1.3 with 78lbs compression. There is a good chance having to drive 25 at 45 mph and being thrown all over the road and it may be dark with my son and all the gear. It is not painting a very good, reasonably safe picture.

I planned on leaving here about 11 or earlier today. Meeting a friend who is working in Castle Rock at the trail head. Haven't picked a time yet for sure.

If this wind doesn't stop, I just can't make it. I am in the RV now and it is really rockin. See how the day progresses and try to get a local weather report for tomorrow. Like we can believe anything they say. This is Colorado!
Old 10-11-2013, 07:57 AM   #47
Jfred

I am all loaded up and at work just waiting for 3:30 to get here. I am flat towing up and will hopefully be able to send out a weather report when I get up there from my phone. I will let all of you know how it is. I am loaded down with tools, recovery stuff, air pump, and a small comealong. Its gonna be a sweet trip and I hope all of you can make it up!
Old 10-11-2013, 08:30 AM   #48
Caboose

Been watching BV's weather and trail condition through this.
http://www.everytrail.com/guide/chin...ulch-4x4-trail

The wind is a worry of mine too. Hopefully it dies down. Both shamrock and I will be leaving at 630 and he'll be trailering.
Old 10-11-2013, 09:25 AM   #49
geckocycles

The wind died down here. Looks like rain at 5 pm for a few hours in BV. I'll be leaving here at around 11 and will set up camp at the trail head or at least temp till my friend gets there. I would rather camp someplace else like RUby or maybe on RD 307 by the Mushroom Gulch trail head by the creek crossing or along there. Just like the creek sound but there is also road noise at that spot too and I doubt cell there.
I'll leave a pie plate at the trail head with note.
I hate setting up tent in the rain so camping at the trail head may be the best option. There is a cove on the way to Carnage that is more protected from the wind. Space is limited and so will be camp stuff like no chainsaw or wood pile. My big party tent is a joke in a good rainstorm but I don't think it will rain that much and would be nice to hang in if it is raining.
Old 10-11-2013, 10:21 AM   #50
Jfred

I will be in Fairplay for a mens retreat for church tonight. I plan on getting to the trailhead around 9am to get my driveshaft installed and get the truck warmed up after getting the rig ready. Really looking forward to this trail run. If anyone needs anything please PM me your phone number so I can get anything you might need in Fairplay.