Go Back   Zukikrawlers > Zuki Gatherings and Events > Meetings and Wheeling Trips
Photo Gallery Home Forum FlashChat Email

Meetings and Wheeling Trips Post upcoming Meeting & Trips in your area.

Old 09-03-2013, 09:27 PM   #1
skyhiranger

skyhiranger has a reputation beyond reputeskyhiranger has a reputation beyond reputeskyhiranger has a reputation beyond reputeskyhiranger has a reputation beyond reputeskyhiranger has a reputation beyond reputeskyhiranger has a reputation beyond reputeskyhiranger has a reputation beyond reputeskyhiranger has a reputation beyond reputeskyhiranger has a reputation beyond reputeskyhiranger has a reputation beyond reputeskyhiranger has a reputation beyond repute
Moab, Sept. 14-22nd

A few of us KC area guys are headed to Moab on Sept. 14th, gonna wheel the week and head back home the following weekend.
We are planning on meeting up with some guys that have Suzuki LJs and wheel with them a little bit too.
If anyone wants to join us, post up here.
Old 09-04-2013, 06:11 AM   #2
ecoast

ecoast has a reputation beyond reputeecoast has a reputation beyond reputeecoast has a reputation beyond reputeecoast has a reputation beyond reputeecoast has a reputation beyond reputeecoast has a reputation beyond reputeecoast has a reputation beyond reputeecoast has a reputation beyond reputeecoast has a reputation beyond reputeecoast has a reputation beyond reputeecoast has a reputation beyond repute
...WANT but cannot!

tnx for the pm...

have a GREAT time!
what the hell you lookin' down here for?

ecoast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 01:37 AM   #3
zukijames

zukijames has a reputation beyond reputezukijames has a reputation beyond reputezukijames has a reputation beyond reputezukijames has a reputation beyond reputezukijames has a reputation beyond reputezukijames has a reputation beyond reputezukijames has a reputation beyond reputezukijames has a reputation beyond reputezukijames has a reputation beyond reputezukijames has a reputation beyond reputezukijames has a reputation beyond repute
Lucky have fun ! I Sure miss living there!
Old 09-15-2013, 08:46 PM   #4
skyhiranger

skyhiranger has a reputation beyond reputeskyhiranger has a reputation beyond reputeskyhiranger has a reputation beyond reputeskyhiranger has a reputation beyond reputeskyhiranger has a reputation beyond reputeskyhiranger has a reputation beyond reputeskyhiranger has a reputation beyond reputeskyhiranger has a reputation beyond reputeskyhiranger has a reputation beyond reputeskyhiranger has a reputation beyond reputeskyhiranger has a reputation beyond repute
Made it to Moab this afternoon. That pull over the Rockies was a SOB. We were down to 20MPH several times....but we eventually made it over the top, then we had to try to slow down going down the backside.
Gonna start running trails tomorrow morning.
Old 09-16-2013, 08:06 AM   #5
FireCkrEd

FireCkrEd has a reputation beyond reputeFireCkrEd has a reputation beyond reputeFireCkrEd has a reputation beyond reputeFireCkrEd has a reputation beyond reputeFireCkrEd has a reputation beyond reputeFireCkrEd has a reputation beyond reputeFireCkrEd has a reputation beyond reputeFireCkrEd has a reputation beyond reputeFireCkrEd has a reputation beyond reputeFireCkrEd has a reputation beyond reputeFireCkrEd has a reputation beyond repute
Have a great time Sky, wish I was there...
03 XL-7 2wd stock
Living in the State of So. Krawlifornia
FireCkrEd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 04:55 PM   #6
jethrobodean

jethrobodean has a reputation beyond reputejethrobodean has a reputation beyond reputejethrobodean has a reputation beyond reputejethrobodean has a reputation beyond reputejethrobodean has a reputation beyond reputejethrobodean has a reputation beyond reputejethrobodean has a reputation beyond reputejethrobodean has a reputation beyond reputejethrobodean has a reputation beyond reputejethrobodean has a reputation beyond reputejethrobodean has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by FireCkrEd View Post
wish I was there...
x2
Old 09-16-2013, 07:17 PM   #7
dadstoybox
THE MOTIVATOR

dadstoybox has a reputation beyond reputedadstoybox has a reputation beyond reputedadstoybox has a reputation beyond reputedadstoybox has a reputation beyond reputedadstoybox has a reputation beyond reputedadstoybox has a reputation beyond reputedadstoybox has a reputation beyond reputedadstoybox has a reputation beyond reputedadstoybox has a reputation beyond reputedadstoybox has a reputation beyond reputedadstoybox has a reputation beyond repute
glad you made it out there, have a great time !

All the women in the world gave birth to children while my mother gave birth to a LEGEND
DTB Enterprises
Haul-A-Round Trailer Mfg.
Well Lit Offroad Lighting
QuadCarrier

Proud member of the bigflex padders union Local 10001
pie

RIP Brother
Zero

WTSS
FOREVER

dadstoybox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 07:26 PM   #8
billsbar

billsbar has a reputation beyond reputebillsbar has a reputation beyond reputebillsbar has a reputation beyond reputebillsbar has a reputation beyond reputebillsbar has a reputation beyond reputebillsbar has a reputation beyond reputebillsbar has a reputation beyond reputebillsbar has a reputation beyond reputebillsbar has a reputation beyond reputebillsbar has a reputation beyond reputebillsbar has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyhiranger View Post
Made it to Moab this afternoon. That pull over the Rockies was a SOB. We were down to 20MPH several times....but we eventually made it over the top, then we had to try to slow down going down the backside.
Gonna start running trails tomorrow morning.
yep that's a bitch of a pull, just the first major hill out of Denver tends to take many vehicles to the side of the road and it doesn't get any better until your over Vail pass. Glad to here you made it safely there have fun
"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children's children what it was once like in the United States where men were free."

- President Ronald Reagan

Spell check people it's free
Proof reading your posts can even help people with the grammers skills of a pet rock.
billsbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 11:50 PM   #9
zukijames

zukijames has a reputation beyond reputezukijames has a reputation beyond reputezukijames has a reputation beyond reputezukijames has a reputation beyond reputezukijames has a reputation beyond reputezukijames has a reputation beyond reputezukijames has a reputation beyond reputezukijames has a reputation beyond reputezukijames has a reputation beyond reputezukijames has a reputation beyond reputezukijames has a reputation beyond repute
We are waiting for pics
Old 09-18-2013, 12:08 AM   #10
skyhiranger

Gonna have to wait until I get back home for pics....and most will be videos anyway. The WiFi connection here at the campground is pretty crappy.

We ran Fins and Things and Hell's Revenge on Monday. Fins and Things was ok. Hell's Revenge was really cool. Did Tipover Challenge....not difficult, unless you want to make it difficult.
Ran Moab Rim and Pritchett Canyon Tuesday. We missed the Waterfall somehow. I had to winch on Chewy Hill and Rocker Knocker. I was able to do the other 3 hard obstacles (I guess I did do the bypass on Rock Pile, since Rock Pile is a near vertical obstacle probably 8' tall or so...but the bypass was pretty tricky) without winching...which I was pretty surprised about.

Hopefully I'll have some good vids to post. Probably be next week, before I get them uploaded and posted.

Last edited by skyhiranger; 09-23-2013 at 10:35 AM.
skyhiranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 02:27 PM   #11
New Guy

New Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNew Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNew Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNew Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNew Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNew Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNew Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNew Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNew Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNew Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNew Guy has a reputation beyond repute
Yeah, Hell's Revenge was a blast. I was the only non-buggy to try this one ledge, couldn't make it up due to a lack of a locker at the time...

pie

New Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 05:35 PM   #12
skyhiranger

Well, we are through running trails out here. I ran my zuk a total of 179 miles and towed it 68 miles to trails this week. I drove on the road to a few trails, so those 179 miles aren't all wheeling miles. We did run several trails this week. I wish we could have ran more. I'll get a list put together and posted at some point. I'll also get pics and vids posted, once I get them uploaded.
None of us had any major problems. None of us broke anything, so that is always good.

Last edited by skyhiranger; 09-20-2013 at 05:40 PM.
Old 09-21-2013, 12:34 AM   #13
airmanwilliams

airmanwilliams has a reputation beyond reputeairmanwilliams has a reputation beyond reputeairmanwilliams has a reputation beyond reputeairmanwilliams has a reputation beyond reputeairmanwilliams has a reputation beyond reputeairmanwilliams has a reputation beyond reputeairmanwilliams has a reputation beyond reputeairmanwilliams has a reputation beyond reputeairmanwilliams has a reputation beyond reputeairmanwilliams has a reputation beyond reputeairmanwilliams has a reputation beyond repute
Any of you heading to lowrangeoffroad before you leave? I want to check out your rigs.
airmanwilliams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 05:20 PM   #14
skyhiranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by airmanwilliams View Post
Any of you heading to lowrangeoffroad before you leave? I want to check out your rigs.
Late answer....but, no.
We headed back home early yesterday. I just got home about an hour ago.
Old 09-22-2013, 07:19 PM   #15
billsbar

billsbar has a reputation beyond reputebillsbar has a reputation beyond reputebillsbar has a reputation beyond reputebillsbar has a reputation beyond reputebillsbar has a reputation beyond reputebillsbar has a reputation beyond reputebillsbar has a reputation beyond reputebillsbar has a reputation beyond reputebillsbar has a reputation beyond reputebillsbar has a reputation beyond reputebillsbar has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyhiranger View Post
Late answer....but, no.
We headed back home early yesterday. I just got home about an hour ago.
probably a good thing you left early

Eisenhower tunnel a few hours ago

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children's children what it was once like in the United States where men were free."

- President Ronald Reagan

Spell check people it's free
Proof reading your posts can even help people with the grammers skills of a pet rock.
billsbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 08:00 PM   #16
skyhiranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by billsbar View Post
probably a good thing you left early

Eisenhower tunnel a few hours ago

Holy shit. Yeah, that wouldn't have been fun to drive through, pulling a trailer (or 5th wheel camper and trailer).

Last edited by skyhiranger; 09-22-2013 at 08:10 PM.
Old 09-23-2013, 10:32 AM   #17
zukijames

Sounds like a good trip! Congrats on son of rock pile(the rock pile bypass I've never made it for my rig its harder than rock pile )
Old 09-23-2013, 10:44 AM   #18
skyhiranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by zukijames View Post
Sounds like a good trip! Congrats on son of rock pile(the rock pile bypass I've never made it for my rig its harder than rock pile )
The problem with the bypass is if you are too wide, the rear tends to slip to the left and the ledge is pretty tall for your left rear tire to climb (for 33-35" tires anyway). It could be done with quite a bit of rock stacking, but we weren't looking to do that. It was very close for my zuk to be able to hug the right side wall and stay on track (stock width samurai axles, 3.5" backspaced 8" wheels, 10.50 wide tires), but it did do it.
Once we looked at Rock Pile, we both decided 80" wheelbase rigs have no business even attempting it. So we both chose the bypass.
I should have some vids posted this week sometime.
Old 09-26-2013, 01:11 PM   #19
skyhiranger

One interesting footnote on the trip....when we were headed home, there was a Samurai trike that passed us twice, coming down the mountain.
From what I could tell, it had a Samurai body from targa back (convertible). The body was white. Neither time, I saw it soon enough to see what the front looked like. So I don't know if it had the samurai drivetrain in it or not. I don't know if it had the samurai rear axle in it either. It looked like it might have had a bench seat in it, as I think there were 3 people riding (in) it.
Anyway, pretty interesting looking, I just wish I would have seen it sooner, to get a better look.
Old 10-08-2013, 03:58 PM   #20
skyhiranger

Our videos are posted here....
http://www.zukikrawlers.com/showthread.php?t=52459
Old 10-08-2013, 04:19 PM   #21
skyhiranger

Here are our daily trip reports....

Monday
We started out running Fins and Things. Tom, one of the LJ guys, was our leader through it. It was an ok trail, but nothing like what I had seen or heard about Moab. Shot a couple vids that I'll post when I get back home.
Then Monday afternoon we worked on Smuz's truck brakes. Since they decided they didn't want to work anymore, coming down the backside of the mtns. We were gonna replace the front pads. Pulled the right side apart and the pads looked like new, so we put it all back together (he had replaced those pads before). We pulled apart the right side and the inside pad was gone. So we replaced them and got it put back together.
Then later in the afternoon, we decided to run Hell's Revenge, since it was in the same area of the park that we had to pay $5 to get into. We hit the trail head a little before 5 and knew we were short on time, so we done a little speed wheeling, so we could make it through it. Ran it right at 2 hours, which I thought was pretty good, since we were unfamiliar with the trail, had the sun in our eyes for a lot of it (so we had to search for the trail), stopped and looked around a little and shot a little vid.
Right at the trailhead is Baby Lion's Back. For someone that hasn't been on Moab rocks like that before, it was a little freaky. Cool, but freaky.
The trail all the way up to Hell's Gate was cool as hell (no pun intended)....now this is Moab. Continued on and made it up to Hell's Gate, looked around, took a pic or two, backtracked back down to the main part of the trail and continued on the last half. We missed the Escaltor, up by the north end.
Hit Tipover Challenge. Shot vids of us going up that. Nothing really too difficult, unless you wanted to make it difficult, or didn't know how to drive.
Looked at the infamous hottub. Holy shit, that doesn't look like it does on video, like it does in person. I thought about going down into it (had no intention of going out the "exit"...I was planning on either backing out or trying to turn around in the bottom and drive back out the entrance), but time was running short and we wanted to be off the trail by dark, since smuz and I were by ourselves on this one.
Went down the Dragon's Tail. Wasn't even sure what it was, until later. It was cool and you really had to pay attention to where you were, as it was steep and narrow at the top.
Got out of the rocks and into the open part of the trail and thought we would have an easy drive to the exit. There were a couple ledge/rock piles we had to navigate to get through the last part. Not big deals, but some neat things that are unexpected.
All in all, we ended up driving 47 miles, according to my slightly fast reading odometer. We drove to the trails, so that was about 20ish miles of it.

Tuesday
Holy shit, what a day of wheeling. We just got back to camp and we left a little after 8am today. Smuz and I are both beat.
I have 98 miles on my zuk now, from the last 2 days of wheeling.
The LJ guys rode with Smuz and I today. Tom rode with Smuz and Phil rode with me and did a lot of shooting video.

We started out running Moab Rim. It was a neat trail with some technical places in it. You had to be pretty precise on your line, or things could go bad fast.
On the first major ledge, Smuz decides to go up it kinda crossways and lifts the right front higher than it should go. So he repositioned a little bit and made it up without too much difficulty. I picked a different line and didn't have any issues.
We made the other technical places without any issues and made it to the top, took a few pics, then headed back down.
When smuz got to the last ledge (the one he had issues with coming up), he decides to take the same line as he did initially. So what happens? The left rear tire comes off the ground about 3 feet. I thought for sure it was going over. But he said later the front shackles/springs hit the ground and that is probably what kept it upright.

Then we decided to run Pritchett Canyon. There are 6 major obstacles on it. The trail is rated a 5 out of a 5. It makes mention of 2 lockers, a winch and 33" tires on a sign at the beginning. We ran down it quite aways and was both thinking...."Really, this trail is rated a 5"?
Then we hit the first major obstacle...Chewy Hill...it has 2 winch points and we needed them both. Both Smuz and I tried a few different lines, then just decided to winch.

The Waterfall was next, which is the one we missed.

We continued down the trail, then hit Rocker Knocker. Smuz tried the far left climb and couldn't quite make it, so he winched that one.
I also tried the far left climb, didn't work, so I backed down and tried the center line. I started up the center and once the front made up the first bump it started crab walking left and it ended up about where I did when I took the left line. I thought about trying it again, but didn't and just hooked up the winch and pulled myself up. We didn't shoot any video on that one.

We continued on and hit Axle Hill. We both went up the left side, then across the ledge, then on up. Smuz made it up to the ledge, then was worried about being too wide to stay on the ledge, while traversing it sideways, so he hooked his winch up, to help him on up.
Once I made it up the left side, I looked the situation over and decided I could run along the ledge without falling off, then make a hard left and climb the last section to get out. That is what I did, with a bunch of spotting help, and made it up without winching.
We shot video of both of us on this one, so it will be posted later.

A little ways farther down the trail we hit Rock Pile. It consisted of a ledge that had a wall as straight up and as tall as Smuz's 5th wheel camper (and there is not a rock pile there anymore). We both decided to not attempt that one...even with winching.
So we both tried the right bypass. Smuz tried it first and I kept him tight the ledge on the right and he almost made it up, but his samurai was just a little too wide and the rear tires wanted to slide around the rock and into a big hole. So he found a huge ass rock to wrap a strap around and hook the winch cable to, to keep him on line.
I tried the same line as Smuz and I was just narrow enough I could keep my rear end from sliding sideways and with a rock in front of the left rear tire was able to crawl up it without a winch.
We shot video on this one, so I'll post it later.

The last major obstacle consisted of a big slab on the left side and kind of ridge/fin type thing on the right. This obstacle is Yellow Hill. I tried to get smuz up the right side, but the undercut and climb was just too big. I tried moving him left a little and come more up the ridge with the left side tires, but that didn't work either, and he was tired and just wanted out, so he winched on up.
I tried the slab first. Hit it a few times in second, but couldn't get enough traction, even though it was slickrock. It was also dug out a little at the bottom, and I was dragging the rear shackles, which didn't help. So I cut across the corner of the slab, to the ridge, turned left and it actually started to climb the ridge. So I continued on up and was able to make it without winching. We shot video on this one, so it will be posted later.

So out of the 5 major obstacles we attempted, I only winched on 2. Which I was really surprised about.

Then once we got through with the Pritchett Canyon trail, we had to get back to camp. So we hooked up with part of the Behind the Rocks trail and after many, many miles and IDK how many hours, we finally hit road 191 ten miles south of Moab, so then we had a long drive into Moab and back to camp.

All in all, one hell of a day and we can now say we did Pritchett Canyon.

Wednesday
Today we hit Metal Masher. A pretty ho-hum trail, overall. A lot of driving and not much that was too difficult. It had a few places that were kinda challenging, if you wanted to make them challenging....so I tried.
Rock Chucker was an option. But it was just too tall and steep for me to get up and over it.
Aways past that there was some ledges that have about 3 options, I made it up the left set a couple of different times.
Then there is a series of short, almost ripple like ledges, then there is a big ledge, along with a bypass around the left end. I finally made it up the big ledge, once I got the correct line found.

We continued on, then decided to go look at Widowmaker. Smuz and I looked it over for awhile, then decided we were going to try it. I was first up it, then Smuz followed me.
After we got up Widowmaker, I go up another ledge, smuz follows me and immediately rams (more like molests) a tree, after he makes it up.

Then we met up with the bypass trail (the LJs took the bypass), and I shot some video of my zuk with a phantom driver, while we were waiting on the LJs. It should be a pretty cool video. I'll post it, when I get back home.

We continued on, on Metal Masher and make it out to the open trail and make the long trek back to the parking area. Damn it sucks that you have to drive so far to get to and from most trails around here.

I now have 129 miles on the odometer. I trailered my zuk 10 miles up and 10 miles back to the parking area today, so those 20 miles aren't counted. Smuz and the LJ guys drove, so they have 20 more miles than I do.
Old 10-08-2013, 04:19 PM   #22
skyhiranger

Thursday
We played in the BFE area today. It took me about 2 hours to find any trails that were much of a challenge. Mainly because we took the far east loop of Strike Ravine, and there doesn't appear to be any offshoot trails in that area.
But once we got to the center part of the area and found the offshoot trails we ended up running part of Lockjaw, Blackout, Dropkick, part of S&M, Green Day, Strike Ravine, Minor Threat, and some other trails that I am not sure what they were. The trails are pretty poorly marked and hard to find (at least for someone not familar with the area). And I didn't have a good map to go by either.

I walked clear up to the Waterfall on Helldorado and didn't see too much that I thought we couldn't do. There are some big rocks right at the start of it and we'd have to take different lines than most people do, but I think we could have done them. There were also some big rocks aways up the trail, that we would have to snake our way through, but didn't look impossible. The big Waterfall at the end has a winch point...so that would have had to have been used. After walking up the trail, I wasn't sure how to get back to the main trail, without backtracking (and we didn't want to winch backwards down the Waterfall), so we didn't go up it.

We originally came down Minor Threat. Then we got to the Helldorado sign, looked over Helldorado, then just went back up Minor Threat.

We climbed several pretty big ledges in the BFE area, but didn't shoot much video though. We shot some coming down a big ledge on Green Day. I think one of the guys might have got some pretty good pics on part of Blackout. We took a pic at the top of Green Day.

I was pretty impressed with the ledges that my zuk could make and didn't really have much problem with.

I've got 150 miles on the zuk now. I trailered about 24 miles today, but Smuz drove his.

Neither of us had any zuk issues today.

Friday
Smuz and I just got back from running Steelbender. It actually wasn't too bad of a trail, as far as challenging obstacles go. It is a damn long trail though...around 15 miles. We shot video on the challenging obstacles (The Wall, The Fall (both up and down, for me), & Witches Step). There were a few kinda tricky ones, but we didn't really have much trouble.

I ran the zuk a total of 179 miles and towed it 68 miles this week.

I didn't have any major issues with my zuk this week.
The left knuckle seal is hanging out, but it was starting to come out before I headed out here. I tightened my lockout hub bolts this morning. Most were a little loose, one was real loose, but a couple were still tight (looks like I need to pull, clean, reloctite and retorque them, when I get back home). The tcase is dripping a little oil. I would guess it is either a seal, or it could be seeping through the stick boot (since I was at some pretty extreme angles a few times this week).

Smuz had a few somewhat major issues, but we were able to do trail fixes on all of them, so there weren't really a big deal, just annoying.
I think he blew 748 fuses that day we ran Pritchett Canyon (ok, maybe that is a slight exaggeration, but it sure seemed like it). He popped the tstat control box fuse for the electric fan a couple of times, because the bracket broke that the tstat control box, then the wires got rubbed through on the water pump pulley and shorted out a couple of times. The other fuse that kept popping was the one he has in place of the fusible link off the battery. It seemed that the little samurai alternator was putting so much charge back to the battery (that was the day we were winching), it kept popping the fuse. We finally put a piece of baling wire in place of the fuse and that took care of that for the rest of the day. He later replaced it with a 40amp fuse and it held fine (but he also hasn't winched since then, so he may want to do some testing, at some point). He also broke 2 polaris tcase mounts that day.