Go Back   Zukikrawlers > General > For the Outdoorsman!
Photo Gallery Home Forum FlashChat Email

For the Outdoorsman! Camping, hunting, fishing, reloading, shooting - whatever you do for outdoor recreation fun.

Old 05-24-2013, 09:14 AM   #1
crewcabrob

crewcabrob has a reputation beyond reputecrewcabrob has a reputation beyond reputecrewcabrob has a reputation beyond reputecrewcabrob has a reputation beyond reputecrewcabrob has a reputation beyond reputecrewcabrob has a reputation beyond reputecrewcabrob has a reputation beyond reputecrewcabrob has a reputation beyond reputecrewcabrob has a reputation beyond reputecrewcabrob has a reputation beyond reputecrewcabrob has a reputation beyond repute
Kayak on a soft-top Sami?

Hi Guys,

Looking for a cost effective way to mount a kayak on a soft top. I don't want to get a Safari rack or anything, just looking for some ideas. When the top is off, it's not a problem to sit a 40 pound boat on the windshield header and roll bar. I drive like that with no problem. I just have no idea how to keep one up there when the top is on.

Rob
1992 Samurai, OME YJ lift SPUA from RR, 32" MTR/k, 15x10" Ultra wheels, Corbeau Moab seats front and rear, Truck-lite headlights, Rampage top, 6.5:1 t-case gears, Kong skid/bucket, Shrockwork Bumpers and gas tank skid, hi-mounted rock rails, Smittybilt 8000 lb X2O winch, PIAA LED driving lights, MOAB license plates and road noise like you can't believe!
crewcabrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 11:15 AM   #2
OregonFXSTC

OregonFXSTC has a reputation beyond reputeOregonFXSTC has a reputation beyond reputeOregonFXSTC has a reputation beyond reputeOregonFXSTC has a reputation beyond reputeOregonFXSTC has a reputation beyond reputeOregonFXSTC has a reputation beyond reputeOregonFXSTC has a reputation beyond reputeOregonFXSTC has a reputation beyond reputeOregonFXSTC has a reputation beyond reputeOregonFXSTC has a reputation beyond reputeOregonFXSTC has a reputation beyond repute

This might work. Get it off the top and pad the windshield frame?
Old 05-24-2013, 12:20 PM   #3
billsbar

billsbar has a reputation beyond reputebillsbar has a reputation beyond reputebillsbar has a reputation beyond reputebillsbar has a reputation beyond reputebillsbar has a reputation beyond reputebillsbar has a reputation beyond reputebillsbar has a reputation beyond reputebillsbar has a reputation beyond reputebillsbar has a reputation beyond reputebillsbar has a reputation beyond reputebillsbar has a reputation beyond repute
"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children's children what it was once like in the United States where men were free."

- President Ronald Reagan

Spell check people it's free
Proof reading your posts can even help people with the grammers skills of a pet rock.
billsbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 07:14 PM   #4
talonxracer

talonxracer has a reputation beyond reputetalonxracer has a reputation beyond reputetalonxracer has a reputation beyond reputetalonxracer has a reputation beyond reputetalonxracer has a reputation beyond reputetalonxracer has a reputation beyond reputetalonxracer has a reputation beyond reputetalonxracer has a reputation beyond reputetalonxracer has a reputation beyond reputetalonxracer has a reputation beyond reputetalonxracer has a reputation beyond repute
I used foam blocks to support the boat and then just use straps to secure it down front, rear and to the sides.

MUTANTS for NUKES,,, feel the GLOW !!!
talonxracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 07:07 AM   #5
crewcabrob

crewcabrob has a reputation beyond reputecrewcabrob has a reputation beyond reputecrewcabrob has a reputation beyond reputecrewcabrob has a reputation beyond reputecrewcabrob has a reputation beyond reputecrewcabrob has a reputation beyond reputecrewcabrob has a reputation beyond reputecrewcabrob has a reputation beyond reputecrewcabrob has a reputation beyond reputecrewcabrob has a reputation beyond reputecrewcabrob has a reputation beyond repute
Thanks guys! For now I have padded the windshield frame as suggested with pipe insulation and strapped the sucker down all over the place. Just need to find a sulution for when the top is on too. Looking at Jeep forums too.

Rob
1992 Samurai, OME YJ lift SPUA from RR, 32" MTR/k, 15x10" Ultra wheels, Corbeau Moab seats front and rear, Truck-lite headlights, Rampage top, 6.5:1 t-case gears, Kong skid/bucket, Shrockwork Bumpers and gas tank skid, hi-mounted rock rails, Smittybilt 8000 lb X2O winch, PIAA LED driving lights, MOAB license plates and road noise like you can't believe!
Old 05-30-2013, 08:06 AM   #6
talonxracer

talonxracer has a reputation beyond reputetalonxracer has a reputation beyond reputetalonxracer has a reputation beyond reputetalonxracer has a reputation beyond reputetalonxracer has a reputation beyond reputetalonxracer has a reputation beyond reputetalonxracer has a reputation beyond reputetalonxracer has a reputation beyond reputetalonxracer has a reputation beyond reputetalonxracer has a reputation beyond reputetalonxracer has a reputation beyond repute
These foam blocks are the bomb, they will work with and without the soft top on. a little creative cutting and shaping of the foam with sandpaper will allow the block to stay put on the windshield frame and rear soft top bow. I carried my Perception overflow whitewater kayak everywhere. http://oakorchardcanoe.com/detail.php?product=2320

MUTANTS for NUKES,,, feel the GLOW !!!
talonxracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 12:05 PM   #7
Bill837

Bill837 is an unknown quantity at this point
Depending on how long a boat we are talking about, I would just stuff it in the back upright and strap from the cargo hooks up and around the coaming. I do this when I'm too lazy to toss my Swifty (9.5 feet) up on top of the wifes Blazer.
Bill837 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 02:28 PM   #8
crewcabrob

Thanks Guys!

I look into the blocks.

My boat is 13 feet long. Thats more than I want to try and stuff. Just too long...

Rob
Old 05-31-2013, 05:17 AM   #9
Bill837

Bill837 is an unknown quantity at this point
Oh yeah.........., hell, be careful approaching steep inclines, you might stab a hill
Bill837 is offline   Reply With Quote