Go Back   Zukikrawlers > General > For the Outdoorsman!
Photo Gallery Home Forum FlashChat Email

For the Outdoorsman! Camping, hunting, fishing, reloading, shooting - whatever you do for outdoor recreation fun.

Old 03-05-2013, 05:20 PM   #1
my996duc1

my996duc1 has a reputation beyond reputemy996duc1 has a reputation beyond reputemy996duc1 has a reputation beyond reputemy996duc1 has a reputation beyond reputemy996duc1 has a reputation beyond reputemy996duc1 has a reputation beyond reputemy996duc1 has a reputation beyond reputemy996duc1 has a reputation beyond reputemy996duc1 has a reputation beyond reputemy996duc1 has a reputation beyond reputemy996duc1 has a reputation beyond repute
GPS - handheld

Was out wheeling around the Calico Ghost Town area last weekend and a buddy had a Garmin handheld GPS that showed all of the trails out there even the small side trails. Was very impressive and came in really handy when exploring.
His was a Garmin GPSmap 60CSx. It was his work GPS so he wasn't sure if it had additional maps bought and loaded on it or if it was just stock.
I see this particular handheld is an older unit now and the retail is almost $600 with different maps costing $50-$100. Looks like a person could end up spending alot of money trying to find the right maps and setup.

Anyone have any experience with this particular GPS ?
Anyone have any other suggestions for a good GPS (cheaper) that shows alot of the offroad trails ?

_
1987 Tintop / 1.6 16V ps & ac / 6.4 t-case Twisted TT / 4.30 R&P Hybrid rear / Double Tough axles / Shrockworks f&r, sides / ARB lockers f&r / Kong & TT full skid / DS disconnect / CV shafts f & r / TT YJ missing links f & r / PW tintop cage / PW 15 gal Tank / 31" x 12.50 - SOLD
my996duc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 05:56 PM   #2
daverbmxer

daverbmxer has a reputation beyond reputedaverbmxer has a reputation beyond reputedaverbmxer has a reputation beyond reputedaverbmxer has a reputation beyond reputedaverbmxer has a reputation beyond reputedaverbmxer has a reputation beyond reputedaverbmxer has a reputation beyond reputedaverbmxer has a reputation beyond reputedaverbmxer has a reputation beyond reputedaverbmxer has a reputation beyond reputedaverbmxer has a reputation beyond repute
No experience with that particular GPS other than playing with it on a store shelf, but it is similar to what I use, and I believe the same maps can be used on both. From what I have seen the Garmin hiking GPS receivers just come with just the base map included. It shows highways, interstates, and perhaps large roads in town. Some come bundled with other maps, but each map set is about $100 more whether you buy it included in the bundle or separately.

I have a Garmin eTrex Legend HCx. I wouldn't suggest getting anything less than this. You may see just an "eTrex Legend". That is not the same as the "H" or "HC" or "HCx" version. The "H" gives it higher precision, since it is WAAS capable. The "C" is for color screen, and "x" for expandable memory. You will not fit many maps on a receiver with just internal memory. Mine is not by any means a new model but it does everything I need it to do for the most part.

If you want the forest service roads and what not to show up on there you will need to get the topographic map pack. It will cover all of the U.S. and shows topography, gravel roads, all city streets, parks, etc.

IMO, if you have a smart phone you may just want to stick with that and buy an app that does all of this. I have a free version of MyTopoMaps and it seems to be great, but it doesn't have all the features of the full $5 version. With the full one you can cache maps to your phone's memory, so when you are out of 3G or 4G you can still use it. It will also cache satellite imagery, something that my receiver will not do anyway. In my mind, the only downfalls to using an iPhone or an Android for this is the ruggedness of it and the battery life. With my receiver I can get 10 to 20 hours of constant use out of it before the batteries are dead. And when it is dead, I just swap in 2 more rechargeable AA batteries. If you have an iPhone I don't think you can swap batteries, and batteries for an Android phone may not be cheap or perhaps not even replaceable either.

I would like to get a small Android tablet.. refurbished one with a 7" screen, GPS receiver built in, Google Play on it, etc for about $150 and install that $5 app that I mentioned and be done with it.

Instead I have something that works awesome but is a bit cumbersome at times..

I have my eTrex hooked up via USB to a 10" netbook. The netbook is hooked up via 12 volt power to my cigarette lighter, and the eTrex charges off the netbook. I run a couple programs on the netbook to allow the receiver to communicate with Google Earth and it shows where I am, updated every second. I have cached the area ahead of time into Google Earth, so I do not need to have any sort of internet. I can change the angle, easily zoom, see a track of where I have been, etc. It really does work great, it's just not a small package like a tablet is. If you want more info on that, if you decide to get a hiking GPS and have a small laptop or netbook kicking around I can tell you what to get.

I'm not real up to date with the newer stuff because I haven't researched buying anything in a few years, but I can still probably be of some help if you have further questions.

Ramsey winch, removable doors, 2" exhaust, Warrior rack, ZOR LED rear bumper
daverbmxer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 08:06 PM   #3
Marc017

Marc017 has a reputation beyond reputeMarc017 has a reputation beyond reputeMarc017 has a reputation beyond reputeMarc017 has a reputation beyond reputeMarc017 has a reputation beyond reputeMarc017 has a reputation beyond reputeMarc017 has a reputation beyond reputeMarc017 has a reputation beyond reputeMarc017 has a reputation beyond reputeMarc017 has a reputation beyond reputeMarc017 has a reputation beyond repute
I know that there are quite a few people that can get Garmin's for cheaper rates for their friends. Usually the $600 GPS's go for around the $300 range. It might be worth asking around if you know anybody that gets a deal on them.

www.crossedupcustoms.com
Marc017 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 09:35 PM   #4
Bearcat 74

Bearcat 74 has a reputation beyond reputeBearcat 74 has a reputation beyond reputeBearcat 74 has a reputation beyond reputeBearcat 74 has a reputation beyond reputeBearcat 74 has a reputation beyond reputeBearcat 74 has a reputation beyond reputeBearcat 74 has a reputation beyond reputeBearcat 74 has a reputation beyond reputeBearcat 74 has a reputation beyond reputeBearcat 74 has a reputation beyond reputeBearcat 74 has a reputation beyond repute
Mine is a 60Cx and it is awesome. I use it hunting, hiking, fishing, and ginseng hunting all the time. I got a great deal on mine for $263 delivered and it is one of the best outdoor tools I have ever bought.
Bearcat 74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 11:13 PM   #5
daverbmxer

daverbmxer has a reputation beyond reputedaverbmxer has a reputation beyond reputedaverbmxer has a reputation beyond reputedaverbmxer has a reputation beyond reputedaverbmxer has a reputation beyond reputedaverbmxer has a reputation beyond reputedaverbmxer has a reputation beyond reputedaverbmxer has a reputation beyond reputedaverbmxer has a reputation beyond reputedaverbmxer has a reputation beyond reputedaverbmxer has a reputation beyond repute
A couple of the cheaper ones I found with a quick search:

http://compare.ebay.com/like/2211890...Types&var=sbar

http://www.cellhut.com/Garmin-100042...Fc0-MgodtFcAmg

Ramsey winch, removable doors, 2" exhaust, Warrior rack, ZOR LED rear bumper
daverbmxer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 11:34 PM   #6
igofshn

igofshn has a reputation beyond reputeigofshn has a reputation beyond reputeigofshn has a reputation beyond reputeigofshn has a reputation beyond reputeigofshn has a reputation beyond reputeigofshn has a reputation beyond reputeigofshn has a reputation beyond reputeigofshn has a reputation beyond reputeigofshn has a reputation beyond reputeigofshn has a reputation beyond reputeigofshn has a reputation beyond repute
I have a Garmin Nuvi 2013 street maps. It has all the trails I go to in the desert, sierras and everywhere else.
Old 03-06-2013, 09:20 AM   #7
Hope Springs Hauler

Hope Springs Hauler has a reputation beyond reputeHope Springs Hauler has a reputation beyond reputeHope Springs Hauler has a reputation beyond reputeHope Springs Hauler has a reputation beyond reputeHope Springs Hauler has a reputation beyond reputeHope Springs Hauler has a reputation beyond reputeHope Springs Hauler has a reputation beyond reputeHope Springs Hauler has a reputation beyond reputeHope Springs Hauler has a reputation beyond reputeHope Springs Hauler has a reputation beyond reputeHope Springs Hauler has a reputation beyond repute
I have the 60CSx. It is awesome for what I do.

If I were to replace it right now I would move to the 62 series or the Oregon series

detailed maps are not pre loaded (or weren't on mine that I bought new)
Old 03-06-2013, 12:03 PM   #8
jplasse

jplasse has a reputation beyond reputejplasse has a reputation beyond reputejplasse has a reputation beyond reputejplasse has a reputation beyond reputejplasse has a reputation beyond reputejplasse has a reputation beyond reputejplasse has a reputation beyond reputejplasse has a reputation beyond reputejplasse has a reputation beyond reputejplasse has a reputation beyond reputejplasse has a reputation beyond repute
I have same one used for sledding. works great and mine also did not come preloaded with any maps. Very handy
87 Zuk, P&P 1.3, .040 9.5 piston, 40mm CV Carb, w/Thorley Header, YJ SPOA Homemade Fr ML's/Rear Shackles, Diff Guards, DT 8000 Shocks, Tracker PS w/ Cooler, Calmini High Steer, 6.5:1 Tcase, Rock4xFab Twin Sticks, RRO Mega Mount, 2" BL, 32" STT's on 15x10 OMF Beadlocks, TT Belly Skid, Homemade Sliders, Homemade Front/Rear Bumpers, 6k Winch, Onboard Air Viair 450C, GM 100 Alternator, LED Rocklights, Thumb Throttle

jplasse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 08:15 PM   #9
JPR Ram

JPR Ram has a reputation beyond reputeJPR Ram has a reputation beyond reputeJPR Ram has a reputation beyond reputeJPR Ram has a reputation beyond reputeJPR Ram has a reputation beyond reputeJPR Ram has a reputation beyond reputeJPR Ram has a reputation beyond reputeJPR Ram has a reputation beyond reputeJPR Ram has a reputation beyond reputeJPR Ram has a reputation beyond reputeJPR Ram has a reputation beyond repute
I'm have that same unit. It does not come with the map program. But I found some free ones that work great. when I get home I'll find the link to those maps.
1985 Samurai LWB (Canadian Model): 1.6L 16v EFI, 6.5 Transfer case, Toyota's with 5.29's, ARB's, Longfield Dirty 30's, Front YJ's with stretched front, Swing Arm (1-Link) Rear with 14" Coils, 37" Krawler's mounted on Raceline Bead-lock Wheels.
JPR Ram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 01:52 AM   #10
JPR Ram

JPR Ram has a reputation beyond reputeJPR Ram has a reputation beyond reputeJPR Ram has a reputation beyond reputeJPR Ram has a reputation beyond reputeJPR Ram has a reputation beyond reputeJPR Ram has a reputation beyond reputeJPR Ram has a reputation beyond reputeJPR Ram has a reputation beyond reputeJPR Ram has a reputation beyond reputeJPR Ram has a reputation beyond reputeJPR Ram has a reputation beyond repute
Here is the link for the free GPS maps.

http://www.gpsfiledepot.com/index.php

I found them here on ZK's.
1985 Samurai LWB (Canadian Model): 1.6L 16v EFI, 6.5 Transfer case, Toyota's with 5.29's, ARB's, Longfield Dirty 30's, Front YJ's with stretched front, Swing Arm (1-Link) Rear with 14" Coils, 37" Krawler's mounted on Raceline Bead-lock Wheels.
JPR Ram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 12:36 PM   #11
cwright

cwright has a reputation beyond reputecwright has a reputation beyond reputecwright has a reputation beyond reputecwright has a reputation beyond reputecwright has a reputation beyond reputecwright has a reputation beyond reputecwright has a reputation beyond reputecwright has a reputation beyond reputecwright has a reputation beyond reputecwright has a reputation beyond reputecwright has a reputation beyond repute
I use Trimble software on my Smartphone, getting ready to upgrade to a small tablet because I like the software so well and want a bigger picture. If you become an "elite" member for $20 you get access to all the topo maps and it includes forest roads as well. I've been using to explore local stuff here in Santa Fe while 4 wheeling and hiking. All you need is a working GPS in your phone or tablet. I put my phone in "airplane mode" to conserve the battery and I'm getting over 7 hrs w/o charging. Plus i can al;ways plug into my power outlet in the Zuk when needed.
Old 04-08-2013, 08:39 PM   #12
Chance

Chance is an unknown quantity at this point
I have a Garmin Dakota. I also wanted the 60CSX a few years ago but went against it for the same reasons. Honestly, I don't use mine near as much as my iPhone with MotionX Gps. That is unless I'm going somewhere without cell data coverage.

The Dakota is pretty nice though. The software that interfaces it with my Mac is pretty awesome too. I do think I'd get another. Expedition Portal has a pretty good section dedicated to navigation stuff too if you need more literature.
Chance is offline   Reply With Quote