Go Back   Zukikrawlers > Technical > Build-up Garage
Photo Gallery Home Forum FlashChat Email

Build-up Garage Showcase your build up! If you are building it, we want to see it!

Old 04-23-2016, 08:41 PM   #801
Tan Zuk

Tan Zuk has a reputation beyond reputeTan Zuk has a reputation beyond reputeTan Zuk has a reputation beyond reputeTan Zuk has a reputation beyond reputeTan Zuk has a reputation beyond reputeTan Zuk has a reputation beyond reputeTan Zuk has a reputation beyond reputeTan Zuk has a reputation beyond reputeTan Zuk has a reputation beyond reputeTan Zuk has a reputation beyond reputeTan Zuk has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reddog1 View Post
Looking good.

Wayne
Thanks Wayne, guess you and Earl are my only followers any more.
Tan Zuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2016, 08:41 PM   #802
Tan Zuk

Tan Zuk has a reputation beyond reputeTan Zuk has a reputation beyond reputeTan Zuk has a reputation beyond reputeTan Zuk has a reputation beyond reputeTan Zuk has a reputation beyond reputeTan Zuk has a reputation beyond reputeTan Zuk has a reputation beyond reputeTan Zuk has a reputation beyond reputeTan Zuk has a reputation beyond reputeTan Zuk has a reputation beyond reputeTan Zuk has a reputation beyond repute
Got the lower radiator locator support brackets made and welded in place. Was not looking forward to installing these brackets. These were a real challange coming up with an idea and even tougher to get installed and weld.

With the radiator mounted in the new locator brackets with the radiator set at 6 degrees. Ended up with 1in clearence between the fan and radiator.

Got the aluminum radiator locator bosses welded in place. The A/C condensor aluminum brackets are finished and need to be welded in place.

Old 04-23-2016, 09:39 PM   #803
Reddog1

Reddog1 has a reputation beyond reputeReddog1 has a reputation beyond reputeReddog1 has a reputation beyond reputeReddog1 has a reputation beyond reputeReddog1 has a reputation beyond reputeReddog1 has a reputation beyond reputeReddog1 has a reputation beyond reputeReddog1 has a reputation beyond reputeReddog1 has a reputation beyond reputeReddog1 has a reputation beyond reputeReddog1 has a reputation beyond repute
I am sure others are following, just not posting.
'91 EFI, DD, Hardtop, Partial EXO, A/C, Warn 8000 winch, 100 AMP GM Alt, Toy Celica P/S, TT YJ SPOA M/L, 5-leaf YJ, DT 8000 shocks, TT Knuckle Over Steering, Mighty Kong, 6.5 TC, Evil Twins, TT Full Skid Plate, Diff Guards, Fuel Tank Skid, Rock Sliders, Anti-Wrap Bar w/Axle Truss, Panhard Bar, Cooper SST - 30x9.5x15, 8" wide 2-1/2" BS wheels, Maxima rear Disc w/ebrake, rear locker, Thumb Throttle, CB Radio, towed 4 down

Reddog1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2016, 10:23 PM   #804
kneighbarger

kneighbarger has a reputation beyond reputekneighbarger has a reputation beyond reputekneighbarger has a reputation beyond reputekneighbarger has a reputation beyond reputekneighbarger has a reputation beyond reputekneighbarger has a reputation beyond reputekneighbarger has a reputation beyond reputekneighbarger has a reputation beyond reputekneighbarger has a reputation beyond reputekneighbarger has a reputation beyond reputekneighbarger has a reputation beyond repute
Talking

Quote:
Right you are Red Dog, very nice build process Tan Zuk.
I got 1 reply on my recent engine and systems upgrade post.

Ken
kneighbarger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2016, 10:50 PM   #805
OFT

OFT has a reputation beyond reputeOFT has a reputation beyond reputeOFT has a reputation beyond reputeOFT has a reputation beyond reputeOFT has a reputation beyond reputeOFT has a reputation beyond reputeOFT has a reputation beyond reputeOFT has a reputation beyond reputeOFT has a reputation beyond reputeOFT has a reputation beyond reputeOFT has a reputation beyond repute
Nice Terry, 1" radiator/fan clearance is great. On blower in OFT the fan motor is inside the blower belt area.

Your set up is still street rod type friendly IMHO.

Earl
Old 04-24-2016, 02:03 PM   #806
Tan Zuk

Quote:
Yes, Wayne believe you called it judging by the thread count after a new post. There seemed to be much more interaction several years ago, guess people have gotten other interests now.

Hopefully the info on this swap is useful to some, still trying to make as interesting and informative as possible.

T
Old 04-24-2016, 02:25 PM   #807
Tan Zuk

Quote:
Originally Posted by kneighbarger View Post
Right you are Red Dog, very nice build process Tan Zuk.
I got 1 reply on my recent engine and systems upgrade post.

Ken
Thanks for the post Ken. It is definately hard to grab interest on a new thread.

The looks of my Zuk alot of people don't care for at all. This changed alittle when I posted pics of the quad carb intake that I machined along with a video of the 1.3 hybrid quad motor running. That seemed to get people to overlook how they felt about the appearence of the Zuk. Seemed there was another group that liked to see the machining and detailed pic posts.

Hope you find the time to continue to follow.
Terry
Old 04-24-2016, 02:41 PM   #808
Tan Zuk

Quote:
Originally Posted by OFT View Post
Nice Terry, 1" radiator/fan clearance is great. On blower in OFT the fan motor is inside the blower belt area.

Your set up is still street rod type friendly IMHO.

Earl
Yes, I was pleased at getting that type of clearence, every 1/4in you can steal adds up. Just took a good look at what could be trimmed off the body without causing any issues or major work to make it presentable.

At quick glance thinking I may beable to get the stock hood latch to work. Not sure yet just have too many higher priority things that need to be completed.

Guess, since most of my building experience has revolved around street rods or custom bikes. It is hard to break away from that mode, particularly since it has worked out for me in the past.

Thanks for the interest Earl

T
Old 04-25-2016, 06:59 AM   #809
mroggenstein

mroggenstein has a reputation beyond reputemroggenstein has a reputation beyond reputemroggenstein has a reputation beyond reputemroggenstein has a reputation beyond reputemroggenstein has a reputation beyond reputemroggenstein has a reputation beyond reputemroggenstein has a reputation beyond reputemroggenstein has a reputation beyond reputemroggenstein has a reputation beyond reputemroggenstein has a reputation beyond reputemroggenstein has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Right you are. I cant wait to see what you do next. very nice clean work
mroggenstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2016, 09:34 AM   #810
Goffycowboy

Goffycowboy has a reputation beyond reputeGoffycowboy has a reputation beyond reputeGoffycowboy has a reputation beyond reputeGoffycowboy has a reputation beyond reputeGoffycowboy has a reputation beyond reputeGoffycowboy has a reputation beyond reputeGoffycowboy has a reputation beyond reputeGoffycowboy has a reputation beyond reputeGoffycowboy has a reputation beyond reputeGoffycowboy has a reputation beyond reputeGoffycowboy has a reputation beyond repute
Goffycowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2016, 06:50 PM   #811
Tan Zuk

Quote:
Originally Posted by mroggenstein View Post
Right you are. I cant wait to see what you do next. very nice clean work
Wow, haven't heard from you in awhile. Glad to see your still checking in. I'm with you on the can't wait to see what I come up with next. I havent got a clue until the next piece of the puzzle needs to have some space to work.

Thanks for the post

Terry
Old 04-25-2016, 06:52 PM   #812
Tan Zuk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goffycowboy View Post
Thanks for taking the time to follow along.

Terry
Old 04-25-2016, 07:05 PM   #813
Tan Zuk

Was getting ready to post some pics when the camera hit the floor. So its dead just got another used one off ebay for 22.00. Can't see spending 500 bucks on a new one since they tend to get damaged by me. Anyway the new used camera will be here Sat.

T

Wow what a night, had troubles posting this and my screen went blank. When it came back up, notice the last images were blank. What is stange is only the last posting pics are gone on 3 seperate websites. Can log into photobucket but only have blank images. Hopefully that gets fixed shortly.

Last edited by Tan Zuk; 04-25-2016 at 08:00 PM.
Old 04-29-2016, 12:22 AM   #814
Tan Zuk

Got my 22.00 camera in today, looks like it is working properly.

Took quite a bit of time coming up with the new mounting brackets for the front bumper. Looks like I got ahead the process, this is why I stress thinking atleast 10 steps in advance before making things perminent. The old mounts were taking up all the room preventing space to route the A/C and powersteering hoses. No dout about it these mounts need to go.

This problem was appearent when the radiator and condensor were installed and started running mock up lines. Really tryed to work around this issue but it just wasn't going to happen. Now to come up with some new mounting brackets that would be completely out of the way. Got to say this had me thinking of a solution for a couple of days, there really isn't much space left and what ever was to be done was going to be a PITA to accomplish.

Here was the solution, which ended up needing some creative welding and drill holes solutions. The end result was a net gain of 3in after trimming the excess bumper material away.

Needed to do some creative drilling, since the drill didn't fit in the tight space that needed to be drilled. The new bumper brackets were used as a drill jig for proper placement holes to be drilled in the bumper. Noticed the old mounts were used to get the new mounts set in the correct position, then were removed.

Old 04-29-2016, 12:24 AM   #815
Tan Zuk

Since the front bumper is being worked on again needed, figuered might as well get the rest of the cutting for the mods done.
The 4 air vents for radiator air flow. Looks like there is going to be enough room for an 8in fan in front of the condensor, which was ordered today.

Made some aluminum rings to help the appearence of the holes.

Found a spot for the P/S cooler, looks like it will fit on top of the front crossmember. Of course the bumper needs to have some of the lower plate removed. There is a plus side to all this cutting, the bumper seems to be getting lighter.

Old 04-29-2016, 10:52 AM   #816
OFT

OFT has a reputation beyond reputeOFT has a reputation beyond reputeOFT has a reputation beyond reputeOFT has a reputation beyond reputeOFT has a reputation beyond reputeOFT has a reputation beyond reputeOFT has a reputation beyond reputeOFT has a reputation beyond reputeOFT has a reputation beyond reputeOFT has a reputation beyond reputeOFT has a reputation beyond repute
Terry
Really great job of thinking. and modification
Like how you put grill work in vent holes

Earl
Old 04-29-2016, 12:03 PM   #817
Reddog1

Reddog1 has a reputation beyond reputeReddog1 has a reputation beyond reputeReddog1 has a reputation beyond reputeReddog1 has a reputation beyond reputeReddog1 has a reputation beyond reputeReddog1 has a reputation beyond reputeReddog1 has a reputation beyond reputeReddog1 has a reputation beyond reputeReddog1 has a reputation beyond reputeReddog1 has a reputation beyond reputeReddog1 has a reputation beyond repute
Looking super nice.

Wayne
'91 EFI, DD, Hardtop, Partial EXO, A/C, Warn 8000 winch, 100 AMP GM Alt, Toy Celica P/S, TT YJ SPOA M/L, 5-leaf YJ, DT 8000 shocks, TT Knuckle Over Steering, Mighty Kong, 6.5 TC, Evil Twins, TT Full Skid Plate, Diff Guards, Fuel Tank Skid, Rock Sliders, Anti-Wrap Bar w/Axle Truss, Panhard Bar, Cooper SST - 30x9.5x15, 8" wide 2-1/2" BS wheels, Maxima rear Disc w/ebrake, rear locker, Thumb Throttle, CB Radio, towed 4 down

Reddog1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2016, 12:23 PM   #818
Nagtrainer

Nagtrainer has a reputation beyond reputeNagtrainer has a reputation beyond reputeNagtrainer has a reputation beyond reputeNagtrainer has a reputation beyond reputeNagtrainer has a reputation beyond reputeNagtrainer has a reputation beyond reputeNagtrainer has a reputation beyond reputeNagtrainer has a reputation beyond reputeNagtrainer has a reputation beyond reputeNagtrainer has a reputation beyond reputeNagtrainer has a reputation beyond repute

1986 SCORE Class 3 Samurai with DOHC 1.3L Crower Cam & Rods, Fabbed Block girdle, ghetto block guard, GSXR600 ITB's Custom one off header. The Hybrid of Hybrid rear axles with ford 9" Spool and 28 spline axles, Nissan 240SX brakes, Hybrid front axle (in the process of fabbing) Snatch, Panty Liner, Twin Stick, Stage 3 clutch, MicroSquirt, FLIR, Lowrance Navigation, Yaesu 2 way, Parker Air, Sigtronic intercom.
Nagtrainer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2016, 02:21 PM   #819
Quarterpastgone

Quarterpastgone has a reputation beyond reputeQuarterpastgone has a reputation beyond reputeQuarterpastgone has a reputation beyond reputeQuarterpastgone has a reputation beyond reputeQuarterpastgone has a reputation beyond reputeQuarterpastgone has a reputation beyond reputeQuarterpastgone has a reputation beyond reputeQuarterpastgone has a reputation beyond reputeQuarterpastgone has a reputation beyond reputeQuarterpastgone has a reputation beyond reputeQuarterpastgone has a reputation beyond repute
Damn Terry, awesome work as usual. Makes mine look very mundane compared to the level of detail you have. Keep up the good work. You will love the power when done.

Quarterpastgone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2016, 02:36 PM   #820
Tan Zuk

Thanks OFT and Reddog for the encouraging compliments.

Glad to see your still following Nag, thought I lost you.

Terry

Last edited by Tan Zuk; 04-29-2016 at 03:16 PM.
Old 04-29-2016, 02:58 PM   #821
Tan Zuk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quarterpastgone View Post
Damn Terry, awesome work as usual. Makes mine look very mundane compared to the level of detail you have. Keep up the good work. You will love the power when done.
I wouldn't sell yourself short yours was the 1st. After all it is way easier for me to come up with a different approach since you showed where there was an issue.

Got to remember I also have a machine shop to help solve fitment issues, not to say it is any easier to do.

Not to worried about getting it all in the rig, may need alittle tech support when it is time to fire it up. Got a guy that thins the harness down to the bare minimum (like 12 wires) and flashes the computer for the deleted items.

Got my induction tube in today, propably start on that after the front area is all fitted for mock up.

Take Care Terry
Old 04-29-2016, 09:01 PM   #822
Tan Zuk

Had a couple of questions on how the rings and mesh were secured to the bumper.

There were (4) #8 32 SS set screws 1 1/4 long used to hold the ring to the bumper and secure the SS mesh on the backside using washers and nylock nuts. Since the rings were only 1/4 in thick, could only get 6 full turns on the set screws. This should be more then enough to hold everthing in place. Will also use some lock tite on the threaded end of the set screw going into the ring.

Here was the process for drilling and tapping a blind hole.

Old 04-30-2016, 10:19 AM   #823
Quarterpastgone

Quarterpastgone has a reputation beyond reputeQuarterpastgone has a reputation beyond reputeQuarterpastgone has a reputation beyond reputeQuarterpastgone has a reputation beyond reputeQuarterpastgone has a reputation beyond reputeQuarterpastgone has a reputation beyond reputeQuarterpastgone has a reputation beyond reputeQuarterpastgone has a reputation beyond reputeQuarterpastgone has a reputation beyond reputeQuarterpastgone has a reputation beyond reputeQuarterpastgone has a reputation beyond repute
12 wire is really thinks down. I would personally not go that bare, being s/c you want knock sensors to trim timing if needed. O2 wiring for fuel control. Granted I wanted it to be a close to factory for PCM monitory for easy of driving and fuel injection control.

Old 04-30-2016, 10:56 AM   #824
Tan Zuk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quarterpastgone View Post
12 wire is really thinks down. I would personally not go that bare, being s/c you want knock sensors to trim timing if needed. O2 wiring for fuel control. Granted I wanted it to be a close to factory for PCM monitory for easy of driving and fuel injection control.
Thanks I will keep that in mind when it is time to send it out. Going to be using Jims Performance to do the wiring, apparently he specializes in these 3.8 swaps. Got his name off Pirate seemed everyone that used him was happy.

Anyway I contacted Jim about 9 months ago to see what his recommendations was for the trans and lockout converter. He didn't want the pcm hooked to it, he also said the harness and pcm would come back in a small box. Jim also mentioned about eliminating unneeded emissions and he would also flash the pcm.

So, he said to wait till I had everything installed and then we would talk about what was actually going to be kept. Think I got the 12 wires off Pirate, since it hasnt been sent out yet I dont have the exact wire count. The stock harness looks like an anaconda now and is in a good sized box waiting to be shipped.

I have seen pics of his harness and it was very thinned out.

Im thinking about using the stock pontiac fuel pump and sticking it in the samurai tank. Just from what I read people were having troubles with the external pumps over heating on longer drives. That is about 6 months away on things to do.

Appreciate the heads up.

Terry

Last edited by Tan Zuk; 04-30-2016 at 11:13 AM.
Old 04-30-2016, 08:21 PM   #825
Quarterpastgone

I have been running an external fuel pump from the beginning and have not had a problem to this point, I have driving it 3 hrs in Atlanta traffic and 8 hrs on the trail. I do have it where it gets plenty of air so that may be why. I also have every ground done in twos for extra security.