Go Back   Zukikrawlers > Technical > Technical Section
Photo Gallery Home Forum FlashChat Email

Technical Section Technical, Modifications, Troubleshooting, and Repairs. You better wanna get greasy to be in here!

Old 08-09-2011, 12:21 PM   #1
Reddog1

Reddog1 has a reputation beyond reputeReddog1 has a reputation beyond reputeReddog1 has a reputation beyond reputeReddog1 has a reputation beyond reputeReddog1 has a reputation beyond reputeReddog1 has a reputation beyond reputeReddog1 has a reputation beyond reputeReddog1 has a reputation beyond reputeReddog1 has a reputation beyond reputeReddog1 has a reputation beyond reputeReddog1 has a reputation beyond repute
Dimensions of Zuk compared CJ Jeep

I was at a friends house yesterday, and his Jeep and my Zuk were parked beside each other. He commented that the Zuk looked a lot smaller than the Zuk. My friend runs the Rubicon several times a year. His CJ is fixed up with a lot of good guy stuff, including a V8.

I have had limited exposure to the Jeeps, and never with a Zuke and CJ side by side. I was under the impression the CJ's were much bigger than the Zukes. I was surprised how close they are.

My Zuk has a fiberglass top, with a TT YJ with ML SPOA, on 31x10.5x15 and 8x2-1/2 BS Summit wheels. I think my wheelbase is about 3-inches longer than stock. I also have the TT skid plate.

The jeep was a rag top, CJ, SPUA with 33s . He has no skid plate.

We measured several things on both vehicles. We both found the dimensions of Zuk compared CJ Jeep very interesting.

The storage behind the front seats was the same size, except the jeep was about 6-inches taller, and maybe 1 to 2-inches wider (excluding the wheel wells). Between the wheel wells were the same. He checked the drivers seat, and said the Zuke had more leg room.

The third member on the front axles were both the same height fron the ground. He had spring related stuff hanging below his axle, and said it has hung up there on rocks.

The Zuk frame is 18-inches off the ground with about 2-inches of skid plate below the frame. The frame of the Jeep was the same as the Zuke. He noted his tcase, exhaust and other stuff was lower than my skid plate, and if he had a skid plate his Jeep would have even less ground clearance. He stated his Jeep frequently hung up on rocks.

The Jeep has a 1-inch longer wheel base than the Zuke.

The width, outside tire-to-outside tire was exactly the same. The width of the body, excluding fender flairs, on the Zuke is about 8-inches narrower than the CJ. I do not remember for sure, but I think the Zuke was about 2-inches lower than the CJ, measuring from the ground.

The departure angle was the same on the Zuke and CJ. My Zuke may have a little less departure angle than his CJ. Both vehicles have winches. The bumper on my Zuke could be moved back about 3-inches, flush with my spring shackles.

We did not weigh them. My Zuke weight is about 2,700 pounds. He said his CJ weighed a lot more than that, but did not know how much.

After doing all that measuring, the Zuke still looks smaller than the CJ. I fully understand each Zuke and CJ are setup differently, but we both were still surprised.

Wayne
'91 EFI, DD, Hardtop, Partial EXO, A/C, Warn 8000 winch, 100 AMP GM Alt, Toy Celica P/S, TT YJ SPOA M/L, 5-leaf YJ, DT 8000 shocks, TT Knuckle Over Steering, Mighty Kong, 6.5 TC, Evil Twins, TT Full Skid Plate, Diff Guards, Fuel Tank Skid, Rock Sliders, Anti-Wrap Bar w/Axle Truss, Panhard Bar, Cooper SST - 30x9.5x15, 8" wide 2-1/2" BS wheels, Maxima rear Disc w/ebrake, rear locker, Thumb Throttle, CB Radio, towed 4 down

Last edited by Reddog1; 08-09-2011 at 12:39 PM.
Reddog1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 03:19 PM   #2
maouser

maouser has a reputation beyond reputemaouser has a reputation beyond reputemaouser has a reputation beyond reputemaouser has a reputation beyond reputemaouser has a reputation beyond reputemaouser has a reputation beyond reputemaouser has a reputation beyond reputemaouser has a reputation beyond reputemaouser has a reputation beyond reputemaouser has a reputation beyond reputemaouser has a reputation beyond repute
samurai.....

Dimensions
Wheelbase 79.9"
Overall Length 135.0"
Overall Width 60.6"
Overall Height 64.6"
Curb Weight 2,059lbs
Cargo Volume 27.8 cu. ft.
Capacities
Fuel Capacity 10.6 gallons
Engine Oil 3.7 Quarts
Engine Coolant 5.34 Quarts
Transmission Oil 1.38 Quarts
Transfer Case Oil .85 Quarts
Differential Gear Oil (Front) 4.2 U.S. pt.
Differential Gear Oil (Rear) 3.2 U.S. pt.
Engine
Type 1.3-liter, 4-cylinder, in-line 8-valve OHC
Block Aluminum
Bore x Stroke 2.91" x 3.03"
Displacement 80.8 cu. in. (1.3 liter)
Compression Ratio 8.9:1
Firing Order 1-3-4-2
Induction (1986-1989) Carburetor
Induction (1990-1995) Fuel Injection
Horsepower (SAE net) 60 hp @ 6500 rpm (1986-1989)
66 hp @ 6500 rpm (1990-1995)
Torque 76 ft-lbs @ 3500 rpm
Mileage City / Highway 23 / 25 MPG
Transmission
Type 5-Speed
Clutch Dry, single disc, diaphragm spring
Gear Ratio 1st 3.652
2nd 1.947
3rd 1.423
4th 1
5th 0.795 (0.865 after 1988.5)
Reverse 3.466
Transfer Case
Type Manual
Gear Ratio 2.268 (low) 1.409 (high)
Axles
Ring Gear Bolts 10 - 10mm bolts
Ring Gear Diameter 6.90 Inches
Pinion Shaft Diameter/Splines 1.379"/26
Axle Shaft Diameter / Splines .940 / 22 (Front)
1.05 / 26 (Rear)
Axle Tube Material / Diameter / Wall Thickness HREW / 2.56 / .120
Gear Ratio 3.73
Available Aftermarket Ratios 4.57, 5.38
Carrier Breaks None
Recommended Max Tire Size 32-Inches
Pinion Bearing Preload 7.8-14.7 in-lbs
Backlash .004-.006 in.
Ring Gear Torque 58-65 lbs-ft
Carrier Bearing Cap Torque 51-72 lbs-ft
Pinion Nut Torque Zero endplay (crush sleeve)
Suspension Leaf Spring
Important Note: In 1990 the front axle was changed to a 2-pinion type and will not fit the available lockers.
Factory Wheels & Tires
Wheel Type Steel
Wheel Size 15x5
Wheel Bolt Pattern 381 x 127 mm
Tire Size P205/70R15
Brakes
Type Power Assist
Front Disc, floating caliper
Rear Drum leading and trailing
Parking brake Lever-hand operated
Steering
Steering Box Manual
Turning Radius 16.7 ft
Toe In 0.08 - 0.24 in
Caster Angle 3 30'
King Pin Angle 9 00'

maouser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 04:06 PM   #3
billsbar

billsbar has a reputation beyond reputebillsbar has a reputation beyond reputebillsbar has a reputation beyond reputebillsbar has a reputation beyond reputebillsbar has a reputation beyond reputebillsbar has a reputation beyond reputebillsbar has a reputation beyond reputebillsbar has a reputation beyond reputebillsbar has a reputation beyond reputebillsbar has a reputation beyond reputebillsbar has a reputation beyond repute
my brother had a (?) 85 CJ5 and measuring mine to his, his wheel base was like a foot longer but inside tire to inside tire I was about 6 inchs wider
"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children's children what it was once like in the United States where men were free."

- President Ronald Reagan

Spell check people it's free
Proof reading your posts can even help people with the grammers skills of a pet rock.
billsbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 04:12 PM   #4
my996duc1

my996duc1 has a reputation beyond reputemy996duc1 has a reputation beyond reputemy996duc1 has a reputation beyond reputemy996duc1 has a reputation beyond reputemy996duc1 has a reputation beyond reputemy996duc1 has a reputation beyond reputemy996duc1 has a reputation beyond reputemy996duc1 has a reputation beyond reputemy996duc1 has a reputation beyond reputemy996duc1 has a reputation beyond reputemy996duc1 has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by maouser View Post
samurai.....

Dimensions
Wheelbase 79.9"
Overall Length 135.0"
Overall Width 60.6"
Overall Height 64.6"
Curb Weight 2,059lbs
CJ-5 (1954-1983)
- Wheelbase 81 in (2,057 mm) (1954-1971) 83.5 in (2,121 mm) (1972-1983)
- Length 138.2 in (3,510 mm)
- Width 68.5 in (1,740 mm)
- Height 67.7 in (1,720 mm)
- Curb weight 2,665 lb (1,209 kg)

CJ-7 (1976 - 1986)
- Wheelbase 93.3 in (2,370 mm)
- Length 148 in (3,759 mm)
- Width 68.5 in (1,740 mm)
- Height 67.7 in (1,720 mm)
- Curb weight 2,707 lb (1,228 kg)

from Wikipedia : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jeep_CJ
1987 Tintop / 1.6 16V ps & ac / 6.4 t-case Twisted TT / 4.30 R&P Hybrid rear / Double Tough axles / Shrockworks f&r, sides / ARB lockers f&r / Kong & TT full skid / DS disconnect / CV shafts f & r / TT YJ missing links f & r / PW tintop cage / PW 15 gal Tank / 31" x 12.50 - SOLD

Last edited by my996duc1; 08-09-2011 at 04:18 PM.
my996duc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 09:16 PM   #5
phloop
Bacon is the answer

phloop has a reputation beyond reputephloop has a reputation beyond reputephloop has a reputation beyond reputephloop has a reputation beyond reputephloop has a reputation beyond reputephloop has a reputation beyond reputephloop has a reputation beyond reputephloop has a reputation beyond reputephloop has a reputation beyond reputephloop has a reputation beyond reputephloop has a reputation beyond repute
Compare the Sami to the Willy's/MB and see what you get. It may be an old wives tale but I have read before that the Sami was modeled after the WWII MB Jeep.

Union hall 3B

Living life a half bubble off.

pie

0-1

I'm singing dammit!
phloop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 10:05 PM   #6
Reddog1

Reddog1 has a reputation beyond reputeReddog1 has a reputation beyond reputeReddog1 has a reputation beyond reputeReddog1 has a reputation beyond reputeReddog1 has a reputation beyond reputeReddog1 has a reputation beyond reputeReddog1 has a reputation beyond reputeReddog1 has a reputation beyond reputeReddog1 has a reputation beyond reputeReddog1 has a reputation beyond reputeReddog1 has a reputation beyond repute
My comparison was not based on any manual, it was based on my Zuke, parked beside my neighbor's CJ Jeep. The modifications, as I noted, were as I stated. His wheelbase is stock on his CJ, not stretched or shortened. His axle housings are stock, with the width only influenced by his tire/wheel width.

Wayne
'91 EFI, DD, Hardtop, Partial EXO, A/C, Warn 8000 winch, 100 AMP GM Alt, Toy Celica P/S, TT YJ SPOA M/L, 5-leaf YJ, DT 8000 shocks, TT Knuckle Over Steering, Mighty Kong, 6.5 TC, Evil Twins, TT Full Skid Plate, Diff Guards, Fuel Tank Skid, Rock Sliders, Anti-Wrap Bar w/Axle Truss, Panhard Bar, Cooper SST - 30x9.5x15, 8" wide 2-1/2" BS wheels, Maxima rear Disc w/ebrake, rear locker, Thumb Throttle, CB Radio, towed 4 down

Old 08-09-2011, 10:17 PM   #7
jackson
im back!

jackson has a reputation beyond reputejackson has a reputation beyond reputejackson has a reputation beyond reputejackson has a reputation beyond reputejackson has a reputation beyond reputejackson has a reputation beyond reputejackson has a reputation beyond reputejackson has a reputation beyond reputejackson has a reputation beyond reputejackson has a reputation beyond reputejackson has a reputation beyond repute
my 05 unlimited makes a samurai look very small. the flat fenders are probably the closest in comparisons all around as mentioned.

"The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated."

Proud member of the bigflex padders union Local 10001

http://zuksoffroad.com
jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 11:09 PM   #8
Reddog1

As I posted, we compared my Zuke, modified as I stated, to his CJ Jeep, modified as I stated. Nothing more and nothing less.

I personally expected to see more of a difference than I did.

Wayne

Old 08-10-2011, 11:08 AM   #9
my996duc1

my996duc1 has a reputation beyond reputemy996duc1 has a reputation beyond reputemy996duc1 has a reputation beyond reputemy996duc1 has a reputation beyond reputemy996duc1 has a reputation beyond reputemy996duc1 has a reputation beyond reputemy996duc1 has a reputation beyond reputemy996duc1 has a reputation beyond reputemy996duc1 has a reputation beyond reputemy996duc1 has a reputation beyond reputemy996duc1 has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reddog1 View Post
As I posted, we compared my Zuke, modified as I stated, to his CJ Jeep, modified as I stated. Nothing more and nothing less.

I personally expected to see more of a difference than I did.

Wayne
The stock specs are pretty close so not really suprising with both of them being close to the same size with mods.
Now if your Sami measured/compared close in size to a 4 door or unlimited jeep wrangler, then it would be surprising.

Did you take any pics ?

_
1987 Tintop / 1.6 16V ps & ac / 6.4 t-case Twisted TT / 4.30 R&P Hybrid rear / Double Tough axles / Shrockworks f&r, sides / ARB lockers f&r / Kong & TT full skid / DS disconnect / CV shafts f & r / TT YJ missing links f & r / PW tintop cage / PW 15 gal Tank / 31" x 12.50 - SOLD
Old 08-10-2011, 11:24 AM   #10
Reddog1

I did not take photos. I went to his house to help him cut a tree down, and the conversation came up after he noticed something on my Zuke. It wasn't one of those situations purposely to compare vehicles.

I went on a snow run with him and some of his co-workers this past winter. He voiced concern that my Zuke might not be up to the task. He followed me, so he could help if I had problems. It was only a one day run. He had to be pulled out of the snow three times, ran out of gas, and had to be towed the last 5 miles due to something he broke. He also complained how cold it was in his rag top. I had a real nice run, no issues at all, and my fiberglass top really held the heat in.

Wayne

Old 08-10-2011, 11:42 AM   #11
my996duc1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reddog1 View Post
I did not take photos. I went to his house to help him cut a tree down, and the conversation came up after he noticed something on my Zuke. It wasn't one of those situations purposely to compare vehicles.

I went on a snow run with him and some of his co-workers this past winter. He voiced concern that my Zuke might not be up to the task. He followed me, so he could help if I had problems. It was only a one day run. He had to be pulled out of the snow three times, ran out of gas, and had to be towed the last 5 miles due to something he broke. He also complained how cold it was in his rag top. I had a real nice run, no issues at all, and my fiberglass top really held the heat in.

Wayne
Yeah, one of the reasons i love the little camera on my cell phone. it works great for those unplanned photo opportunites.

I'll bet he thinks differently about the Zuki now

_
Old 08-10-2011, 11:54 AM   #12
Reddog1

I did not have my cell phone, nor my camera. I hardly ever not have one or the other.

I am not sure what he thinks about the Zuk. He never mentions the snow trip. He invited my to go to Spider Lake (Rubicon) with him and a couple of his Jeep friends, and he was looking at my Zuk and stated he thought it might make it. He said I should install my lockers, and I would have a better chance. After he crawled all over and around my Zuk, and compared it to his Jeep, he stated I should have no problem, even with open diffs.

Wayne.

Old 03-06-2012, 05:46 PM   #13
1969dane

1969dane has a brilliant future1969dane has a brilliant future1969dane has a brilliant future1969dane has a brilliant future1969dane has a brilliant future1969dane has a brilliant future1969dane has a brilliant future1969dane has a brilliant future1969dane has a brilliant future1969dane has a brilliant future1969dane has a brilliant future
I have a 69 cj5 and my samurai is about the same size.
1969dane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 06:28 PM   #14
Reddog1

They are sure close. The jeep is a lot heavier, from what I understand.

Wayne

Old 03-07-2012, 01:57 PM   #15
1969dane

1969dane has a brilliant future1969dane has a brilliant future1969dane has a brilliant future1969dane has a brilliant future1969dane has a brilliant future1969dane has a brilliant future1969dane has a brilliant future1969dane has a brilliant future1969dane has a brilliant future1969dane has a brilliant future1969dane has a brilliant future
My old cj is heavier but its got a 225 buick v6 with no top or doors it moves right along. Little quicker than my sammy.
1969dane is offline   Reply With Quote