Go Back   Zukikrawlers > Technical > Suzuki Engine
Photo Gallery Home Forum FlashChat Email

Suzuki Engine Discuss all your engine questions, troubles, and tech in this area.

Old 07-26-2011, 09:18 AM   #1
Oscello

Oscello has a reputation beyond reputeOscello has a reputation beyond reputeOscello has a reputation beyond reputeOscello has a reputation beyond reputeOscello has a reputation beyond reputeOscello has a reputation beyond reputeOscello has a reputation beyond reputeOscello has a reputation beyond reputeOscello has a reputation beyond reputeOscello has a reputation beyond reputeOscello has a reputation beyond repute
Weber stumbling after vent mod

I was getting tired of my weber stalling while going down hills and someone recommended this mod. Weber Vent Mod

I did the mod as it describes except for the copper tube. I tapped the hole and put a fitting in instead. I throughly cleaned that port out to avoid any junk getting into the jets. Once I got it all back together it started up fine and idles/revs fine. Once I took it out to drive it, it would begin to stumble once the RPMs reached about 3k or so. If I keep my foot in it, the problem does not seem to go away. It seems like a fuel delivery problem to me.

The carb settings are as follows.
-140 primary jet and 140 secondary. (They were already in the carb)
-44.5mm float level (gasket surface of top plate to the bottom of the float)
-fuel pressure regulated to 3psi. (dial type regulator from advance auto)
-mechnical pump
-regular fuel filter

The mixture screw has been fiddled with but the problem does not go away.

I also changed the float level to the reccommended level per the weber instructions, but thats really all that was changed. I will raise the float level tonight, so more fuel will be available in the bowl but I dont have high hopes that that will fix it.

Also the accelerator pump works and sprays fuel into the primary but not the secondary, is this correct? I had never really paid attention to it before but there is a nozzle in the secondary so I assume it should spray fuel also.

Any reccomendations to fix it? Im not really a carb pro but im starting to understand them.
Old 07-26-2011, 04:43 PM   #2
badzook

badzook has a reputation beyond reputebadzook has a reputation beyond reputebadzook has a reputation beyond reputebadzook has a reputation beyond reputebadzook has a reputation beyond reputebadzook has a reputation beyond reputebadzook has a reputation beyond reputebadzook has a reputation beyond reputebadzook has a reputation beyond reputebadzook has a reputation beyond reputebadzook has a reputation beyond repute
Been a while since I screwed with a weber but I do know that that nozzel for the accelerator is only drilled for the one barel.. You can buy them drilled for both but dont need it..

I had a weber that was modded for the same reason but was done differently.

I could be wrong but im pretty sure nothing was done to inside of the float bowl. Mine had been filled in in the center and a small flume looking piece of metal was installed diverting the excess fuel to the primary at the top of the carb.. Maybe some one found a different way to skin a cat.. Mine was done by a guy that went by the name Sarge and was in Illinois. He owned a company named Midwest Performance and was the weber guru. I dont think he's in business but I know he is still out there..

Since it seams the only thing you changed was the float level thats where I would start..Change it back and see what happens..

And it looks like you bought one of those regulators in the picture just throw it away they are crap.. holley makes one that works great. Its a 1-4lb Part #12-804. That could be the whole problem..

Also, I have never had good luck running a mechanical pump with an aftermarket regulator. I have seen lots of guys do it but for me the factory bypass in the mechanical pump would open and kill the engine at higher rpm.. It was fine at idle till you threw your foot down then it would buck like a bull.

Last edited by badzook; 07-26-2011 at 04:51 PM.
badzook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 06:19 PM   #3
Oscello

Oscello has a reputation beyond reputeOscello has a reputation beyond reputeOscello has a reputation beyond reputeOscello has a reputation beyond reputeOscello has a reputation beyond reputeOscello has a reputation beyond reputeOscello has a reputation beyond reputeOscello has a reputation beyond reputeOscello has a reputation beyond reputeOscello has a reputation beyond reputeOscello has a reputation beyond repute
Well the float level was not what I thought it was and after readjusting, it runs better now. I can take it up to 6k in all gears (well maybe not 5th) but if i slow down and do it again it stumbles but only slightly. I think with a little more fine tuning it will be good to go.

Also the vent mod works as far as I can tell. Before if I slammed on the brakes it would bog down, now it does not affect it at all.
Old 07-27-2011, 09:14 PM   #4
Oscello

Well the problem was back today when i went to start it. Seems like it runs fine without the stock filter/hose so I'm going to order a filter to go on top of the carb.
Old 07-27-2011, 11:44 PM   #5
Bass Man

Bass Man has a reputation beyond reputeBass Man has a reputation beyond reputeBass Man has a reputation beyond reputeBass Man has a reputation beyond reputeBass Man has a reputation beyond reputeBass Man has a reputation beyond reputeBass Man has a reputation beyond reputeBass Man has a reputation beyond reputeBass Man has a reputation beyond reputeBass Man has a reputation beyond reputeBass Man has a reputation beyond repute
I know after I did that to mine it would die if I plugged the vent even a little bit. I just leave it open and turned down and it doesn't give me the finger.
Bass Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 06:54 AM   #6
Oscello

When I was testing it last night the vent was open. Its driving me crazy that the carb worked before but now it wont. The fact that the carb "hat" is whats casuing it makes it worse. Once the hat was removed it ran fine, even with the stock air box adapter still attached. Oh well im sure it will get gain a bit of HP now because that adapter is very restrictive.

I know alot of people hate webers but I got it for 25 bucks. I'm going to try to make it work until the engine blows up or I have the money for a engine swap.
Old 07-28-2011, 07:54 AM   #7
crisbee1

crisbee1 has a reputation beyond reputecrisbee1 has a reputation beyond reputecrisbee1 has a reputation beyond reputecrisbee1 has a reputation beyond reputecrisbee1 has a reputation beyond reputecrisbee1 has a reputation beyond reputecrisbee1 has a reputation beyond reputecrisbee1 has a reputation beyond reputecrisbee1 has a reputation beyond reputecrisbee1 has a reputation beyond reputecrisbee1 has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oscello View Post
When I was testing it last night the vent was open. Its driving me crazy that the carb worked before but now it wont. The fact that the carb "hat" is whats casuing it makes it worse. Once the hat was removed it ran fine, even with the stock air box adapter still attached. Oh well im sure it will get gain a bit of HP now because that adapter is very restrictive.

I know alot of people hate webers but I got it for 25 bucks. I'm going to try to make it work until the engine blows up or I have the money for a engine swap.
It won't blow up, It will die a slow painful death as the Weber washes down the cylinder walls, the cylinders will score and you will no longer have compression...
crisbee1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 08:52 AM   #8
Big E

Big E has a reputation beyond reputeBig E has a reputation beyond reputeBig E has a reputation beyond reputeBig E has a reputation beyond reputeBig E has a reputation beyond reputeBig E has a reputation beyond reputeBig E has a reputation beyond reputeBig E has a reputation beyond reputeBig E has a reputation beyond reputeBig E has a reputation beyond reputeBig E has a reputation beyond repute
If you have the 2 piece manifold adapter it is prone to air leaks. They make two types a one piece and a two piece the two piece usually came with the stock air filter adapter and the one piece came with the aftermarket air filter. I never could get the two piece to seal completely so i ordered the one piece.

I got it from Sarge who also did the modification to the carb.

Good luck
Big E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 09:40 AM   #9
Oscello

Quote:
Originally Posted by crisbee1 View Post
It won't blow up, It will die a slow painful death as the Weber washes down the cylinder walls, the cylinders will score and you will no longer have compression...
Im suprised it took this long...........Its not a weber thread until someone has put their 2cents in on how crappy they are. Thanks for the help

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big E View Post
If you have the 2 piece manifold adapter it is prone to air leaks. They make two types a one piece and a two piece the two piece usually came with the stock air filter adapter and the one piece came with the aftermarket air filter. I never could get the two piece to seal completely so i ordered the one piece.

I got it from Sarge who also did the modification to the carb.

Good luck
I do have the 2 piece adapter. Ill have to check it for leaks. Thanks
Old 07-28-2011, 09:54 AM   #10
Big E

Big E has a reputation beyond reputeBig E has a reputation beyond reputeBig E has a reputation beyond reputeBig E has a reputation beyond reputeBig E has a reputation beyond reputeBig E has a reputation beyond reputeBig E has a reputation beyond reputeBig E has a reputation beyond reputeBig E has a reputation beyond reputeBig E has a reputation beyond reputeBig E has a reputation beyond repute
here is how my jets are
Main
Prim 134
Sec 140
Air
Prim 170
Sec 160

Above 8000ft
Main
Prim 132
Sec 137
Air
Prim 160
Sec 155
Big E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 11:20 PM   #11
Bass Man

Bass Man has a reputation beyond reputeBass Man has a reputation beyond reputeBass Man has a reputation beyond reputeBass Man has a reputation beyond reputeBass Man has a reputation beyond reputeBass Man has a reputation beyond reputeBass Man has a reputation beyond reputeBass Man has a reputation beyond reputeBass Man has a reputation beyond reputeBass Man has a reputation beyond reputeBass Man has a reputation beyond repute
I don't hate mine but I'm a little more worried about a bad tune now that crisbee brought the washing to my attention... I actually kinda like my weber cuz of how much power I gained over stock (not a stock 1.3l in my rig though) but I'm gonna think about going back to stock and just gearing my rig to take up the power loss of 32's with stock drivetrain.
Old 07-29-2011, 10:22 AM   #12
crisbee1

crisbee1 has a reputation beyond reputecrisbee1 has a reputation beyond reputecrisbee1 has a reputation beyond reputecrisbee1 has a reputation beyond reputecrisbee1 has a reputation beyond reputecrisbee1 has a reputation beyond reputecrisbee1 has a reputation beyond reputecrisbee1 has a reputation beyond reputecrisbee1 has a reputation beyond reputecrisbee1 has a reputation beyond reputecrisbee1 has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bass Man View Post
I don't hate mine but I'm a little more worried about a bad tune now that crisbee brought the washing to my attention... I actually kinda like my weber cuz of how much power I gained over stock (not a stock 1.3l in my rig though) but I'm gonna think about going back to stock and just gearing my rig to take up the power loss of 32's with stock drivetrain.

Smell your oil when you check it.
crisbee1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 05:04 PM   #13
suzq

suzq is an unknown quantity at this point
Weber Carb fix

Well, I just finished the weber carb fix, now I am waiting for the locktite epoxy to dry. When I took the top off my weber I noticed that weber already drilled out the vent tube for me and installed a fitting, which was already routed to my charcoal canister, so all I had to do was fill in the vent in the float bowel.
I lowered my stock float height by about 1.5 mm, so hopefully it will run great uphill. If this works the way the post says it will, it will be the easiest mod I have ever done.
suzq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 08:51 PM   #14
Oscello

Mine runs as normal now since it has the new filter on it.
Old 08-10-2011, 09:57 PM   #15
Jeremy

Jeremy has a reputation beyond reputeJeremy has a reputation beyond reputeJeremy has a reputation beyond reputeJeremy has a reputation beyond reputeJeremy has a reputation beyond reputeJeremy has a reputation beyond reputeJeremy has a reputation beyond reputeJeremy has a reputation beyond reputeJeremy has a reputation beyond reputeJeremy has a reputation beyond reputeJeremy has a reputation beyond repute
Big E may be right as well...i bought a weber and followed the tuning instructions & it runs great with factory air tube and airbox... but i did receive a new one piece carb to intake adapter with my kit which i used... the only problem i have is it doesn't like to be bounced around as in rock crawling. but i don't have stalling on up or downhill. i am also running no emissions junk...that is a big factor i am told...either it all works or it doesn't
"If everyone in the whole world had the same skin color, hair color and eye color, if we were all the same religion, if we all had the same favorite sports teams, drank the same beer, drove the same car, and spoke the same language, if we all hung our toilet paper the same way, listened to the same music, had the same hat size, and used the same toothpaste, mankind....... would still find a reason to divide into at least two groups and kill each other."
Jeremy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 10:36 PM   #16
Bass Man

Weird thing about mine and I've only noticed it on the street since I'm a pavement pounder at the moment (and the competition wheeling I did was pedal to the metal the whole time so not really able to notice anything WOT), but what is weird is I have my float pretty low and when I stop kinda quick it likes to flood out and die or come very close.
Old 08-11-2011, 05:58 PM   #17
suzq

suzq is an unknown quantity at this point
Well, since I did my weber vent tube fix the little beast runs like a cat on speed. I am very very happy....git her done! although now I want the 1.6 16 valve or a VW diesel any thoughts on the way to go gentlemen or ladies.
suzq is offline   Reply With Quote