Go Back   Zukikrawlers > General > For the Outdoorsman!
Photo Gallery Home Forum FlashChat Email

For the Outdoorsman! Camping, hunting, fishing, reloading, shooting - whatever you do for outdoor recreation fun.

Old 05-01-2013, 10:03 PM   #1
talonxracer

talonxracer has a reputation beyond reputetalonxracer has a reputation beyond reputetalonxracer has a reputation beyond reputetalonxracer has a reputation beyond reputetalonxracer has a reputation beyond reputetalonxracer has a reputation beyond reputetalonxracer has a reputation beyond reputetalonxracer has a reputation beyond reputetalonxracer has a reputation beyond reputetalonxracer has a reputation beyond reputetalonxracer has a reputation beyond repute
Project "Anti-Political Correctness"

I have always been a fan of the Encore for hunting, I figure it is the challenge of a single shot rifle along with the lower weight and shorter length for a specific length barrel. Seeing I had started my AR 300BLK build last spring and had opted to make my own brass and start reloading again, I knew I had to get a barrel for the Encore as well!
But seeing it is a single shot rifle, one acceptable to the sensitive sensibilities of slow Joe Biden, it needed some help to piss off a liberal to no end!!!!!
I started with the frame from my 209x50ML,

The barrel is a Bergera 16.5", 1:8 twist with threaded muzzle. I polished the chamber and installed a stronger locking lug spring. I then installed the barrel on the frame that I have duracoated in 2-tone FDE (I plan on Duracoating the barrel the same as the frame eventually). The short Bergera barrel does have a ever so slightly different profile than the longer length standard profile barrels from either TC or Bergera and a little sanding makes the fit far better on the forend where the barrels first taper begins.

The frame has been completely gone thru by me, a 44lb hammer spring, honed and polished disconnect/sear/hammer/trigger, 3lb trigger spring and 1xoversized hinge pin. Ultra smooth trigger takeup with a 3lb crisp as glass sear release.

The stock set is a Choate rifle butt stock and TC's standard rifle forend. The Choate buttstock has far better ergonomics than TC's standard or pro hunter stocks IMHO. I use a custom end cap on the grip, it helps alot when wearing thicker gloves when hunting, I do have a custom trigger guard being welded up to open up the diminutive trigger guard.

I canabilized the scope off of my 209x50 muzzleloader barrel for now, a 2x7x33 Nikon that has seen far better days! LOL not sure what optics to put on the barrel.

Getting there,,, added a cheek pad from a Choate ultimate varmint stock, mounted a Magpul MOE para-clip on the forend and a QD in the stock, then drilled and tapped the frame to mount a QD barrel for the Magpul MS3 sling. I also drilled and installed threaded inserts into the bottom of the forend to mount a Magpul MOE plastic rail.

Here she is with forgrip and MS3 sling with QD, added two brass threaded inserts to hold the MOE 11 slot rail on the bottom of the forend,

some color applied

Further progress, the muzzle blast is kinda intense, makes ya flinch, the muzzle is about the same distance from your face as a 10" barreled AR15 SBR. So I got a wild idea after looking at some SBR's and off the barrel went to ADCO the first of this week(and it is on its way back already) I am taking the rifle even further from social acceptance, and still stay NY legal, LOL, shortened to 13.5" and then a KX3 pinned on, the shoulder of the threads are right at the end of the forend. Gonna be a unique look for a deer rifle, LOL

Got her finished, I think I may need to spray some clear matt on the stock, it is a satin-ish finish now. Sshe surely looks anti-politicaly correct to me!

MUTANTS for NUKES,,, feel the GLOW !!!
talonxracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 01:02 AM   #2
dadstoybox
THE MOTIVATOR

dadstoybox has a reputation beyond reputedadstoybox has a reputation beyond reputedadstoybox has a reputation beyond reputedadstoybox has a reputation beyond reputedadstoybox has a reputation beyond reputedadstoybox has a reputation beyond reputedadstoybox has a reputation beyond reputedadstoybox has a reputation beyond reputedadstoybox has a reputation beyond reputedadstoybox has a reputation beyond reputedadstoybox has a reputation beyond repute
I think it's pretty sweet looking and hope it works well for you

All the women in the world gave birth to children while my mother gave birth to a LEGEND
DTB Enterprises
Haul-A-Round Trailer Mfg.
Well Lit Offroad Lighting
QuadCarrier

Proud member of the bigflex padders union Local 10001
pie

RIP Brother
Zero

WTSS
FOREVER

dadstoybox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 05:00 AM   #3
FordCustom

FordCustom has a reputation beyond reputeFordCustom has a reputation beyond reputeFordCustom has a reputation beyond reputeFordCustom has a reputation beyond reputeFordCustom has a reputation beyond reputeFordCustom has a reputation beyond reputeFordCustom has a reputation beyond reputeFordCustom has a reputation beyond reputeFordCustom has a reputation beyond reputeFordCustom has a reputation beyond reputeFordCustom has a reputation beyond repute
Awesome..

FordCustom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 08:15 AM   #4
madzukr
OLD TIMER

madzukr has a reputation beyond reputemadzukr has a reputation beyond reputemadzukr has a reputation beyond reputemadzukr has a reputation beyond reputemadzukr has a reputation beyond reputemadzukr has a reputation beyond reputemadzukr has a reputation beyond reputemadzukr has a reputation beyond reputemadzukr has a reputation beyond reputemadzukr has a reputation beyond reputemadzukr has a reputation beyond repute
that looks bad ass talon.
madzukr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 08:27 AM   #5
midwestracer

midwestracer has a reputation beyond reputemidwestracer has a reputation beyond reputemidwestracer has a reputation beyond reputemidwestracer has a reputation beyond reputemidwestracer has a reputation beyond reputemidwestracer has a reputation beyond reputemidwestracer has a reputation beyond reputemidwestracer has a reputation beyond reputemidwestracer has a reputation beyond reputemidwestracer has a reputation beyond reputemidwestracer has a reputation beyond repute
dam thats sexy
midwestracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 08:31 AM   #6
talonxracer

talonxracer has a reputation beyond reputetalonxracer has a reputation beyond reputetalonxracer has a reputation beyond reputetalonxracer has a reputation beyond reputetalonxracer has a reputation beyond reputetalonxracer has a reputation beyond reputetalonxracer has a reputation beyond reputetalonxracer has a reputation beyond reputetalonxracer has a reputation beyond reputetalonxracer has a reputation beyond reputetalonxracer has a reputation beyond repute
Thnx guys!

Yeah she shoots nice, with a lead sled shooting rest I can produce groupings under 1/2" at 100 yards and at 300 yards I was getting groups right at 1.25". Excellent groups for a short barreled gun.

Old 05-03-2013, 10:12 AM   #7
crazyunclechris19

crazyunclechris19 has a reputation beyond reputecrazyunclechris19 has a reputation beyond reputecrazyunclechris19 has a reputation beyond reputecrazyunclechris19 has a reputation beyond reputecrazyunclechris19 has a reputation beyond reputecrazyunclechris19 has a reputation beyond reputecrazyunclechris19 has a reputation beyond reputecrazyunclechris19 has a reputation beyond reputecrazyunclechris19 has a reputation beyond reputecrazyunclechris19 has a reputation beyond reputecrazyunclechris19 has a reputation beyond repute
Sweet
87 tintop, snatch, evil twins, yota axles, yj spoa, ott steering,thong,mybiguns,tiboron seats,gm altenator,header, sumo driveshafts,rock rails, custom bumpers, 17" black rock rims 285 75 17s,1.6 16 valve, t bra, hella lights, roof rack

"Once, during prohibition, I was forced to live for days on nothing but food and water." W.C.Fields
crazyunclechris19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 01:29 PM   #8
Mullet

Mullet has a reputation beyond reputeMullet has a reputation beyond reputeMullet has a reputation beyond reputeMullet has a reputation beyond reputeMullet has a reputation beyond reputeMullet has a reputation beyond reputeMullet has a reputation beyond reputeMullet has a reputation beyond reputeMullet has a reputation beyond reputeMullet has a reputation beyond reputeMullet has a reputation beyond repute
Ummmm....will you marry me ?

Not really but that is sweet !
Old 05-03-2013, 01:49 PM   #9
talonxracer

LOL,,,,,

Well i went shooting this morning and of course the State Troopers had a "inspection/registration" checkpoint set up headed into town. The Trooper looked into the sidekick and seen the rifle in the gun rack and asked if it was a firearm, I said of course it was, they wanted to see it and run the serial #'s, The young troopers were rather taken aback by what they thought was an Encore with a suppressor, they tried their damndest to make the barrel under 16" when they measured it, 16.25" every time! LOL The older troopers really liked the weapon, said it had "character", LOL

Old 05-03-2013, 07:28 PM   #10
madzukr
OLD TIMER

madzukr has a reputation beyond reputemadzukr has a reputation beyond reputemadzukr has a reputation beyond reputemadzukr has a reputation beyond reputemadzukr has a reputation beyond reputemadzukr has a reputation beyond reputemadzukr has a reputation beyond reputemadzukr has a reputation beyond reputemadzukr has a reputation beyond reputemadzukr has a reputation beyond reputemadzukr has a reputation beyond repute
was wondering if thompson is the only one that makes short barreled rifes?
Old 05-03-2013, 07:41 PM   #11
talonxracer

TC does not make Short Barreled Rifles. TC did not make this barrel, it was made by Bergara. And it is/was a 16.5" barrel to start, I simply shortened it and permanently blind pin and welded the KX3 on to get it back to just over 16.125" without the inner cone installed.

There are plenty of AR barrel makers out there producing barrels and even entire rifles that are under 16"(requires tax stamp), and of course you can always put a TC pistol barrel onto a TC rifle frame and have a Short Barreled Rifle, but make sure you dont do that unless you have a tax stamp and the serialized part registered as a SBR.

Old 05-03-2013, 07:51 PM   #12
madzukr
OLD TIMER

so what length do the encore come with?
Old 05-03-2013, 08:08 PM   #13
talonxracer

They usually have a 24" or 28" length, they do make a Katahdin barrel that is 20" or 22" but only in 45-70 IIRC.

My other Encore is a 7mm08 and has a 20" barrel(also a Bergara barrel cut down) and that makes for a rather short rifle as well.

Old 05-03-2013, 08:14 PM   #14
madzukr
OLD TIMER

i tried to check out the web site,but after 10 mins waiting for the dialup i gave up.
Old 05-03-2013, 08:20 PM   #15
metal leg

metal leg has a reputation beyond reputemetal leg has a reputation beyond reputemetal leg has a reputation beyond reputemetal leg has a reputation beyond reputemetal leg has a reputation beyond reputemetal leg has a reputation beyond reputemetal leg has a reputation beyond reputemetal leg has a reputation beyond reputemetal leg has a reputation beyond reputemetal leg has a reputation beyond reputemetal leg has a reputation beyond repute
That's a nice weapon. I'd love to tinker with that kind of stuff. Most of my guns stay stockish. Time and money, time and money.
Old 05-03-2013, 09:00 PM   #16
talonxracer

Thnx!

I do one rifle every other year or so for my self, though I have done 2 since last nov7th, LOL

The Encore is alot cheaper as the barrels are interchangable, I have 5 barrels now with 2 frames, the 300blk will be a dedicated setup though.

Old 06-09-2013, 11:12 PM   #17
talonxracer

Well I got a chance to do some load development,
100 yards, large group is published COL specs, small group is with the bullets seated .050" off the lands, 20g of H110, Barnes 110g Tac-Tx, COL 2.358"

And here is 200 yards with 125g Sierra AAC match kings, 17.2g of H110, COL 2.3"

Old 10-03-2013, 08:24 AM   #18
talonxracer

I got a chance to do some shooting after tracking down and removing some bow hunters from the property yesterday. I loaded some 125SMK's with 20gr of H110 seated to 2.270" WOW, that is one seriously fine shooting bullet!
5 round group, I was the cause of the last round being high,

The 125SMK's are by far the most accurate I have shot out of the 300BLK, though the 220SMK's put on a fine showing at 100 yards.

Old 12-07-2013, 11:16 PM   #19
talonxracer

First blood, 120 yard head-on shot at this guy. I was using Barnes factory loaded ammo, I put the cross hairs at the base of the snout directly between his nostrils and the round hit the center of his neck directly below his jaw(think adams apple area on a human), exiting the back of the neck with a 1" exit hole. Lights out!

Old 12-08-2013, 12:25 AM   #20
yozuki

yozuki has a reputation beyond reputeyozuki has a reputation beyond reputeyozuki has a reputation beyond reputeyozuki has a reputation beyond reputeyozuki has a reputation beyond reputeyozuki has a reputation beyond reputeyozuki has a reputation beyond reputeyozuki has a reputation beyond reputeyozuki has a reputation beyond reputeyozuki has a reputation beyond reputeyozuki has a reputation beyond repute
Nicely done . Cool build up looks like a fun short rifle to shoot and bonus at the end. Nice buck .
yozuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 08:21 AM   #21
Bearcat 74

Bearcat 74 has a reputation beyond reputeBearcat 74 has a reputation beyond reputeBearcat 74 has a reputation beyond reputeBearcat 74 has a reputation beyond reputeBearcat 74 has a reputation beyond reputeBearcat 74 has a reputation beyond reputeBearcat 74 has a reputation beyond reputeBearcat 74 has a reputation beyond reputeBearcat 74 has a reputation beyond reputeBearcat 74 has a reputation beyond reputeBearcat 74 has a reputation beyond repute
Nice deer and a great looking rifle.

Seems strange to load H110 in a rifle, that's revolver powder to me, . The Whisper/Blackout is catching on around here too.
Bearcat 74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 03:52 PM   #22
talonxracer

Yeah, I went to a LGS searching for some and they were intrigued/puzzled over the choice of powder as well, LOL, but it works and works well. To make the rimmed version of the 300 blackout/whisper you start with Remington 357 Maximum pistol brass....

Old 12-11-2013, 06:59 PM   #23
Bearcat 74

Bearcat 74 has a reputation beyond reputeBearcat 74 has a reputation beyond reputeBearcat 74 has a reputation beyond reputeBearcat 74 has a reputation beyond reputeBearcat 74 has a reputation beyond reputeBearcat 74 has a reputation beyond reputeBearcat 74 has a reputation beyond reputeBearcat 74 has a reputation beyond reputeBearcat 74 has a reputation beyond reputeBearcat 74 has a reputation beyond reputeBearcat 74 has a reputation beyond repute
Hadn't heard that about the Max brass. My contender is a Super 14 30/30 but should would like to have a Max, I am a .35 cal lover. I know H110 is popular in the Hornet also.
Bearcat 74 is offline   Reply With Quote