Go Back   Zukikrawlers > General > For the Outdoorsman!
Photo Gallery Home Forum FlashChat Email

For the Outdoorsman! Camping, hunting, fishing, reloading, shooting - whatever you do for outdoor recreation fun.

Old 12-19-2012, 07:44 PM   #26
threewhd

threewhd has a reputation beyond reputethreewhd has a reputation beyond reputethreewhd has a reputation beyond reputethreewhd has a reputation beyond reputethreewhd has a reputation beyond reputethreewhd has a reputation beyond reputethreewhd has a reputation beyond reputethreewhd has a reputation beyond reputethreewhd has a reputation beyond reputethreewhd has a reputation beyond reputethreewhd has a reputation beyond repute
done

Jefferson Davis

The problem with the world is ity. I'm not saying there should be a capital punishment for ity, but why don't we just take the safety labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself?

Proud member of the bigflex padders union Local 10001

~UNION RULES~

threewhd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 07:57 PM   #27
dadstoybox
THE MOTIVATOR

dadstoybox has a reputation beyond reputedadstoybox has a reputation beyond reputedadstoybox has a reputation beyond reputedadstoybox has a reputation beyond reputedadstoybox has a reputation beyond reputedadstoybox has a reputation beyond reputedadstoybox has a reputation beyond reputedadstoybox has a reputation beyond reputedadstoybox has a reputation beyond reputedadstoybox has a reputation beyond reputedadstoybox has a reputation beyond repute
http://lawton.craigslist.org/spo/3404402683.html

All the women in the world gave birth to children while my mother gave birth to a LEGEND
DTB Enterprises
Haul-A-Round Trailer Mfg.
Well Lit Offroad Lighting
QuadCarrier

pie

RIP Brother
Zero

WTSS
FOREVER

dadstoybox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 08:01 PM   #28
dadstoybox
THE MOTIVATOR

dadstoybox has a reputation beyond reputedadstoybox has a reputation beyond reputedadstoybox has a reputation beyond reputedadstoybox has a reputation beyond reputedadstoybox has a reputation beyond reputedadstoybox has a reputation beyond reputedadstoybox has a reputation beyond reputedadstoybox has a reputation beyond reputedadstoybox has a reputation beyond reputedadstoybox has a reputation beyond reputedadstoybox has a reputation beyond repute
http://oklahomacity.craigslist.org/spo/3427136130.html

area code is 405

All the women in the world gave birth to children while my mother gave birth to a LEGEND
DTB Enterprises
Haul-A-Round Trailer Mfg.
Well Lit Offroad Lighting
QuadCarrier

pie

RIP Brother
Zero

WTSS
FOREVER

dadstoybox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 10:01 PM   #29
mgp541

mgp541 has a reputation beyond reputemgp541 has a reputation beyond reputemgp541 has a reputation beyond reputemgp541 has a reputation beyond reputemgp541 has a reputation beyond reputemgp541 has a reputation beyond reputemgp541 has a reputation beyond reputemgp541 has a reputation beyond reputemgp541 has a reputation beyond reputemgp541 has a reputation beyond reputemgp541 has a reputation beyond repute
The only place I found in stock ar stuff. I just got the rest of my parts ordered.

http://shop.redxarms.com/

Decent prices and have mags in stock

I am getting the HB SS 5.56 in a 16"
mgp541 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 01:05 AM   #30
New Guy

New Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNew Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNew Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNew Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNew Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNew Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNew Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNew Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNew Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNew Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNew Guy has a reputation beyond repute
Update: Ended up getting an Olympic Arms AR15. Yeah, they don't have stupendous reviews but I'm good at working with customer service reps... Can butter them up real good. And, hey, I was able to set my 1911 up to run despite being filled with mud or dirt or whatever else I felt like filling it with, so I'm pretty confident in my ability to track down and fix any issues this has... Will be a good starter.

It runs smoothly without ammo, will have to tear it down and clean it up- check for any obvious problems as well.

I figure I got a screamin' deal even if it ends up with some quirks... Can't build a forged upper/lower AR15 for that price anymore.

Thanks for the link to the $8 30rd mags. Am going to email the guy about a couple of them.

pie

New Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 09:01 AM   #31
talonxracer

talonxracer has a reputation beyond reputetalonxracer has a reputation beyond reputetalonxracer has a reputation beyond reputetalonxracer has a reputation beyond reputetalonxracer has a reputation beyond reputetalonxracer has a reputation beyond reputetalonxracer has a reputation beyond reputetalonxracer has a reputation beyond reputetalonxracer has a reputation beyond reputetalonxracer has a reputation beyond reputetalonxracer has a reputation beyond repute
There is a break-in time frame for a new AR before it is truely smooth and operating correctly. I usualy hate the feeling of any new AR, gritty and nasty. I take any AR regardless of manufactor(other than a JP BCG) and hand cycle the rifle 100-200 strokes with the bolt, carrier and upper reciever slathered in a mixture of JB bore paste and Kroil. as well as polishing the chamber of non chromed barrels with a boremop/drill and the JB/Kroil mixture. This removes/smoothes the black phosphate coating and polishes the riding surfaces. This procedure usually eliminates any of the hassles of FTF or FTE, make sure to fully clean the weapon before live firing to remove any of slurry that may be left behind.

MUTANTS” for NUKES,,, feel the GLOW !!!
talonxracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 01:53 PM   #32
New Guy

New Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNew Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNew Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNew Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNew Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNew Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNew Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNew Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNew Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNew Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNew Guy has a reputation beyond repute
I'll keep that in mind! Will pick some up next time I go into Gallup, thanks. Reps are due but I have to spread the love- can someone cover me this time?

It is a bit gritty but I went in and loved everything by hand before even thinking about firing live ammo through it, it's much smoother than it was when I pulled it out of the box.

Cripes, the only things not aluminum or stainless on this rifle are the stock handguard and the butt of the stock. I'd say not bad for what I paid.

Oh, and mil-spec barrels? Sweeeeet! This thing could double as a club.

pie

Old 12-21-2012, 10:13 AM   #33
jrnm

jrnm has a reputation beyond reputejrnm has a reputation beyond reputejrnm has a reputation beyond reputejrnm has a reputation beyond reputejrnm has a reputation beyond reputejrnm has a reputation beyond reputejrnm has a reputation beyond reputejrnm has a reputation beyond reputejrnm has a reputation beyond reputejrnm has a reputation beyond reputejrnm has a reputation beyond repute
the bolt is like your man toy, keep it well lubed and clean.

Proud builder of the one and only SUZUKI NADA JEEP.

"Stercus accidit"
jrnm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 10:27 AM   #34
talonxracer

talonxracer has a reputation beyond reputetalonxracer has a reputation beyond reputetalonxracer has a reputation beyond reputetalonxracer has a reputation beyond reputetalonxracer has a reputation beyond reputetalonxracer has a reputation beyond reputetalonxracer has a reputation beyond reputetalonxracer has a reputation beyond reputetalonxracer has a reputation beyond reputetalonxracer has a reputation beyond reputetalonxracer has a reputation beyond repute
A quick and easy upgrade for your bolt is a McFarland one piece gas ring seal, also make sure the staking is prominent and secure on the BCG retaining the gas key, some manufacturers have issues with the staking loosening up.

MUTANTS” for NUKES,,, feel the GLOW !!!
talonxracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 12:55 AM   #35
New Guy

I looked up the one-piece gas ring seals... Seems like they've had some QC issues as of late. I can get 5 complete sets of standard gas rings for $9, I think I'll go that way... Will be a long time before I put that much through this thing.

Love this thing. Shoots like a dream, and now I'll even be able to aim it at things!

pie

Old 12-25-2012, 01:09 PM   #36
jrnm

jrnm has a reputation beyond reputejrnm has a reputation beyond reputejrnm has a reputation beyond reputejrnm has a reputation beyond reputejrnm has a reputation beyond reputejrnm has a reputation beyond reputejrnm has a reputation beyond reputejrnm has a reputation beyond reputejrnm has a reputation beyond reputejrnm has a reputation beyond reputejrnm has a reputation beyond repute
hey, that looks almost like one of my black assault thingys...have fun.

Proud builder of the one and only SUZUKI NADA JEEP.

"Stercus accidit"
jrnm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 02:02 PM   #37
Zee
Super Moderator

Zee has a reputation beyond reputeZee has a reputation beyond reputeZee has a reputation beyond reputeZee has a reputation beyond reputeZee has a reputation beyond reputeZee has a reputation beyond reputeZee has a reputation beyond reputeZee has a reputation beyond reputeZee has a reputation beyond reputeZee has a reputation beyond reputeZee has a reputation beyond repute
Don't take the word of a bunch of AR snobs on the interweb about the rifles Oly builds,they have a good reputation for quality and accurate barrels.
Many years ago there were problems with some of their products,but like msot manufactuers they have worked hard to correct the quality issues,too bad uniformed idiots like to repeat things they read with no 1st hand knowledge.
Enjoy your new rifle and ignore what others think.
Z

Zee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 03:36 PM   #38
New Guy

That was the plan!

I actually did some deeper reading into those QC issues they used to have... Right before the 1994 Assault Weapons Ban, they stopped selling forged uppers/lowers and started cranking out as many cast units as they could manage. They didn't know how long the ban might last, so their goal was to get as many AR15s onto the market as they could- even at the cost of quality and their reputation. They just wanted to get rifles into the hands of the citizens before it became illegal.

Everything in this rifle is very heavily built... Barrel is a damned club. I'm hoping to get it all sighted in today.

pie