Go Back   Zukikrawlers > Technical > Build-up Garage
Photo Gallery Home Forum FlashChat Email

Build-up Garage Showcase your build up! If you are building it, we want to see it!

Old 01-02-2017, 11:58 AM   #126
samikrawler

samikrawler has a reputation beyond reputesamikrawler has a reputation beyond reputesamikrawler has a reputation beyond reputesamikrawler has a reputation beyond reputesamikrawler has a reputation beyond reputesamikrawler has a reputation beyond reputesamikrawler has a reputation beyond reputesamikrawler has a reputation beyond reputesamikrawler has a reputation beyond reputesamikrawler has a reputation beyond reputesamikrawler has a reputation beyond repute
then just daily drove it for a long while. had to get my sand car ready for dune season and had a couple duramax diesel engines i was building in between there as well

beginning of december i started back on it. I took the front square bumper off and sold it. wasnt going to really fit with the direction i was going (prerunner). so i started on bumpers since i really needs a rear one and i needed to get a winch back in the front.

Cut off the old bumper tabs also Pulled my spare driver side cv to replaced with a new oreilly one for the time being. I'm tired of running to the junk yards and the toyota cv swap will start soon.

changed my HID lights out to LED. Also sanded and buffed them to get rid of the yellow.

Coming along.

all finished bumper wise. Just need to pick up some longer bolts to put the winch and fairlead in. Came out stronger than expected

all done and did a trail run through desoto mine

next was the rear bumper
2000 Grand Tracker: 2.5 v6, auto, 4.5" lift (no body lift), 33s, 5.12 gears, front and rear lockers, 4.24 tcase gears, steel front housing and diff, rear coilover 3 link on ford 8.8 rear axle and some damn a/c!

SOLD: 92 samuri JL, 1.3 Turboed EFI, toys, 35s, yjs, gears, ect ect ect
samikrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2017, 12:10 PM   #127
samikrawler

samikrawler has a reputation beyond reputesamikrawler has a reputation beyond reputesamikrawler has a reputation beyond reputesamikrawler has a reputation beyond reputesamikrawler has a reputation beyond reputesamikrawler has a reputation beyond reputesamikrawler has a reputation beyond reputesamikrawler has a reputation beyond reputesamikrawler has a reputation beyond reputesamikrawler has a reputation beyond reputesamikrawler has a reputation beyond repute
Started cutting the rear crossmember out and realized it housed the gas tank mounts and some kind of top, gas tank braces.

Sooooo out came the fuel tank. Wound up moving it up 2-2.5" from where it was.

Then started back on the bumper. Needs lots more tubing and bracing but you see the general direction. There will be a bar that comes out to the back about 4-6" to make a step as well

Just about done. wasnt super keen on the corner guards at this point but left them to see how i liked them finished

Welded and painted. Top plate was cut out, smoothed and hole sawed for dimple die

And bumper all finished

That brings me to today.

i ordered another wheel so i can mount a full size spare and build a tire carrier. I also have lots of parts come in to start the front end LT kit. i need to build this first to see what kind of ride height i can achieve without steep CV angles. Then i can start on the rear 3 link.
2000 Grand Tracker: 2.5 v6, auto, 4.5" lift (no body lift), 33s, 5.12 gears, front and rear lockers, 4.24 tcase gears, steel front housing and diff, rear coilover 3 link on ford 8.8 rear axle and some damn a/c!

Old 01-02-2017, 05:11 PM   #128
ckingsuzuki

ckingsuzuki has a reputation beyond reputeckingsuzuki has a reputation beyond reputeckingsuzuki has a reputation beyond reputeckingsuzuki has a reputation beyond reputeckingsuzuki has a reputation beyond reputeckingsuzuki has a reputation beyond reputeckingsuzuki has a reputation beyond reputeckingsuzuki has a reputation beyond reputeckingsuzuki has a reputation beyond reputeckingsuzuki has a reputation beyond reputeckingsuzuki has a reputation beyond repute
That looks terrible! What were you thinking?
Old 01-03-2017, 10:11 AM   #129
samikrawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckingsuzuki View Post
That looks terrible! What were you thinking?
i dont think, Mark. You should know this!

Old 01-04-2017, 12:40 PM   #130
mroggenstein

mroggenstein has a reputation beyond reputemroggenstein has a reputation beyond reputemroggenstein has a reputation beyond reputemroggenstein has a reputation beyond reputemroggenstein has a reputation beyond reputemroggenstein has a reputation beyond reputemroggenstein has a reputation beyond reputemroggenstein has a reputation beyond reputemroggenstein has a reputation beyond reputemroggenstein has a reputation beyond reputemroggenstein has a reputation beyond repute
Very nice. I was wondering how you were going to do the front. Very creative. Like the rear corners also.
mroggenstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 09:27 AM   #131
samikrawler

thank you!

i have one more trip planned next weekend so the spare tire carrier is being built this weekend. after i get back, its suspension/front CV/rear axle up grade time. Hoping to have the front done and ready by May. i dont see why it wont be done sooner but stranger things have happened.

Old 01-09-2017, 09:26 AM   #132
samikrawler

Tire carrier started and done. This is mock up with everything tacked and before I built the swing set that will hold the carrier to the door and swing with the door when I open it. That way I have no extra latches to hold things together.

Video of how the "swingset" works for the tire carrier.

http://youtu.be/UDfanpbLzMQ

and all finished up. Just need to get the wheel in I ordered. Been using a wheel off the tracker for mock up. I added a roller to the bottom for support when closed. It's just an old bearing from a kx450 I rebuilt a couple years ago. Adding that tighten the whole thing up and it's pretty stout though time will tell. Gunna keep an eye on a few areas for tweaking.

Old 08-10-2018, 05:28 PM   #133
samikrawler

Wow, i really forget to update on here!

anyhow, not long after the last update, i put a set of 17" walker true beadlocks on and 305/65R17 cooper STT Pros. the BFG's were wearing way too fast imho. Walkers are my all time fav wheel anyhow.

didnt do much wheeling the rest of the year as i was working on a whole new rear end setup for my sand car. Did take it out before christmas and blew a rear axle and front cv within 5 ft of each other. at that point, i decided to park the sucker till i build the new rear end.

ford 8.8 from a full size f150, 5.13 gears, spartan locker, truss, all new bearings and seals, 3 linked on 14" stroke 2.0 coilovers, home build SYE, hydro bumps and a bunch of other crap with it. Pulls 15" of wheel travel.

spent alot of time valving the shocks and bumps and how have the rear end working way better than the front.

now the front end is next. decided to pretty much go all out to a point. front frame section will be getting cut back off as i have another front frame section ill be building in the mean time. front is getting an explorer 8.8 IRS diff up front with 5.13 gears and lock rite locker. it will be off set with a "jack shaft" coming out the driverside of the diff to run under the engine and connect to the driverside cv. conversion stub shafts will be made to run a 930 inner cv and the toyota outer cv from the conversion kit ive had. 4" wider lower arms, my own upper arms with stock spindle, 2.5" 10" stroke sway a way coilovers and 2.0 4" stroke hydro bumps, and a small engine cage. idea is to get 14-15" of travel to match the back. i think its achieveable while still keeping CV angle around 23* though i can go up to 26-28* if i choose.

Old 08-11-2018, 07:43 AM   #134
ckingsuzuki

ckingsuzuki has a reputation beyond reputeckingsuzuki has a reputation beyond reputeckingsuzuki has a reputation beyond reputeckingsuzuki has a reputation beyond reputeckingsuzuki has a reputation beyond reputeckingsuzuki has a reputation beyond reputeckingsuzuki has a reputation beyond reputeckingsuzuki has a reputation beyond reputeckingsuzuki has a reputation beyond reputeckingsuzuki has a reputation beyond reputeckingsuzuki has a reputation beyond repute
Thanks for the update. Good to see you are still working on it. Why not a solid front axel?
Old 08-13-2018, 01:50 AM   #135
rovinson

rovinson is an unknown quantity at this point
Awesome flex! I dig the suspension mods you did.
rovinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2018, 11:16 AM   #136
samikrawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckingsuzuki View Post
Thanks for the update. Good to see you are still working on it. Why not a solid front axel?
same reason i built this Tracker. To be different. Honestly it will see more dirt miles than it will see rocks/crawling and long travel IFS kicks straight axle ass any day of the week. Still want it to be able to go crawling and what not though hence upping the front diff strength and front end in general.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rovinson View Post
Awesome flex! I dig the suspension mods you did.
Thank you sir! rear end works extremely well. now to get the front end to catch back up.