Go Back   Zukikrawlers > Technical > Technical Section
Photo Gallery Home Forum FlashChat Email

Technical Section Technical, Modifications, Troubleshooting, and Repairs. You better wanna get greasy to be in here!

Old 12-31-2011, 09:11 AM   #51
azulebleu

azulebleu has a reputation beyond reputeazulebleu has a reputation beyond reputeazulebleu has a reputation beyond reputeazulebleu has a reputation beyond reputeazulebleu has a reputation beyond reputeazulebleu has a reputation beyond reputeazulebleu has a reputation beyond reputeazulebleu has a reputation beyond reputeazulebleu has a reputation beyond reputeazulebleu has a reputation beyond reputeazulebleu has a reputation beyond repute
Any knowledgeable opinion on my post wolud be greatly appreciated. thanks!
azulebleu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 11:43 AM   #52
Reddog1

Reddog1 has a reputation beyond reputeReddog1 has a reputation beyond reputeReddog1 has a reputation beyond reputeReddog1 has a reputation beyond reputeReddog1 has a reputation beyond reputeReddog1 has a reputation beyond reputeReddog1 has a reputation beyond reputeReddog1 has a reputation beyond reputeReddog1 has a reputation beyond reputeReddog1 has a reputation beyond reputeReddog1 has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by azulebleu View Post
Any knowledgeable opinion on my post wolud be greatly appreciated. thanks!
Although I haven't done the mod you posted, I have done similar projects in years past, as a machinist. Even though you are welding a small area, you run the risk of creating a weak spot on the axle, causing the axle to break at that point.

I have not yet experienced changing the Zuke axle bearings. Looking at the photos, I think maybe the "bearing retainers" you refer to only provide a surface for the seal to run on. If true, a better fix than welding may be to simply use a center punch about six places around the axle where the "bearing retainers" are located. In effect, that would be similar to knurling the axle. I doubt you would have to go very deep with the punch, and it would hold the retainers in place.

Wayne
'91 EFI, DD, Hardtop, Partial EXO, A/C, Warn 8000 winch, 100 AMP GM Alt, Toy Celica P/S, TT YJ SPOA M/L, 5-leaf YJ, DT 8000 shocks, TT Knuckle Over Steering, Mighty Kong, 6.5 TC, Evil Twins, TT Full Skid Plate, Diff Guards, Fuel Tank Skid, Rock Sliders, Anti-Wrap Bar w/Axle Truss, Panhard Bar, Cooper SST - 30x9.5x15, 8" wide 2-1/2" BS wheels, Maxima rear Disc w/ebrake, rear locker, Thumb Throttle, CB Radio, towed 4 down

Reddog1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 09:38 AM   #53
azulebleu

azulebleu has a reputation beyond reputeazulebleu has a reputation beyond reputeazulebleu has a reputation beyond reputeazulebleu has a reputation beyond reputeazulebleu has a reputation beyond reputeazulebleu has a reputation beyond reputeazulebleu has a reputation beyond reputeazulebleu has a reputation beyond reputeazulebleu has a reputation beyond reputeazulebleu has a reputation beyond reputeazulebleu has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reddog1 View Post
Although I haven't done the mod you posted, I have done similar projects in years past, as a machinist. Even though you are welding a small area, you run the risk of creating a weak spot on the axle, causing the axle to break at that point.

I have not yet experienced changing the Zuke axle bearings. Looking at the photos, I think maybe the "bearing retainers" you refer to only provide a surface for the seal to run on. If true, a better fix than welding may be to simply use a center punch about six places around the axle where the "bearing retainers" are located. In effect, that would be similar to knurling the axle. I doubt you would have to go very deep with the punch, and it would hold the retainers in place.

Wayne
I see, so welding and especially subjecting a small area to high heat can cause that part to weaken, now I see your point. The axle can break due to this, unless perhaps you use mig weld to minimize too much heat perhaps?

Oh well, might as well do this the hard way, but the right way. I do not want my axle to break on the highway.
Thanks for your advise sir!
azulebleu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 11:23 AM   #54
Reddog1

Reddog1 has a reputation beyond reputeReddog1 has a reputation beyond reputeReddog1 has a reputation beyond reputeReddog1 has a reputation beyond reputeReddog1 has a reputation beyond reputeReddog1 has a reputation beyond reputeReddog1 has a reputation beyond reputeReddog1 has a reputation beyond reputeReddog1 has a reputation beyond reputeReddog1 has a reputation beyond reputeReddog1 has a reputation beyond repute
You are welcome.

It would make no difference which weld method you use, you run the risk of causing the part to fail due to heat. Keep in mind, there are some applications this method would not be of concern., but on an axle I would not do it.

Wayne
'91 EFI, DD, Hardtop, Partial EXO, A/C, Warn 8000 winch, 100 AMP GM Alt, Toy Celica P/S, TT YJ SPOA M/L, 5-leaf YJ, DT 8000 shocks, TT Knuckle Over Steering, Mighty Kong, 6.5 TC, Evil Twins, TT Full Skid Plate, Diff Guards, Fuel Tank Skid, Rock Sliders, Anti-Wrap Bar w/Axle Truss, Panhard Bar, Cooper SST - 30x9.5x15, 8" wide 2-1/2" BS wheels, Maxima rear Disc w/ebrake, rear locker, Thumb Throttle, CB Radio, towed 4 down

Old 08-15-2012, 10:54 AM   #55
warbird

warbird has a reputation beyond reputewarbird has a reputation beyond reputewarbird has a reputation beyond reputewarbird has a reputation beyond reputewarbird has a reputation beyond reputewarbird has a reputation beyond reputewarbird has a reputation beyond reputewarbird has a reputation beyond reputewarbird has a reputation beyond reputewarbird has a reputation beyond reputewarbird has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kermit View Post
An update and a warning for you guys sourcing the bearings aftermarket. The bearings seem to be correct from places like Autozone, Advance and NAPA but be careful with the bearing retainers. Many of the aftermarket retainers are too large to fit into the seal. Test it in the installed axle seal before you press them on the axle shaft. For reference, the correct dimensions are 35mm ID x 48mm OD x 20mm thk. Many retainers are 50mm OD. It will NOT work.

I checked out the entire local NAPA warehouse recently. Only one was correct out of around ten.
Hmmm...

Just replaced a NAPA bearing and seal that was less than 6 months old.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

"Walk softly and cary a big stick" - T.R.

"Carry a bigger stick and make as much noise as you want" - warbird
warbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2018, 01:32 PM   #56
easternzuk

easternzuk is an unknown quantity at this point
wow i know this is an old post but it made things real smooth today with my sami, thanks
easternzuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2018, 04:42 PM   #57
Reddog1

The thread/post can be old and still be valuable.

Wayne