Go Back   Zukikrawlers > Technical > Technical Section
Photo Gallery Home Forum FlashChat Email

Technical Section Technical, Modifications, Troubleshooting, and Repairs. You better wanna get greasy to be in here!

Old 10-27-2008, 10:06 PM   #1
Rocfrog

Rocfrog has a reputation beyond reputeRocfrog has a reputation beyond reputeRocfrog has a reputation beyond reputeRocfrog has a reputation beyond reputeRocfrog has a reputation beyond reputeRocfrog has a reputation beyond reputeRocfrog has a reputation beyond reputeRocfrog has a reputation beyond reputeRocfrog has a reputation beyond reputeRocfrog has a reputation beyond reputeRocfrog has a reputation beyond repute
GM Alt.

Ok so I was given a GM alt. by a fellow Zuker and I went to put the pulley off the zuk alt on the GM one and the hole in the zuk pulley is too small! So I tried one of the other zuk alt. pulleys that I had and same thing! So do I possiably have the wrong GM alt.

Nick
Rocfrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 10:08 PM   #2
billsbar

billsbar has a reputation beyond reputebillsbar has a reputation beyond reputebillsbar has a reputation beyond reputebillsbar has a reputation beyond reputebillsbar has a reputation beyond reputebillsbar has a reputation beyond reputebillsbar has a reputation beyond reputebillsbar has a reputation beyond reputebillsbar has a reputation beyond reputebillsbar has a reputation beyond reputebillsbar has a reputation beyond repute
nope you have the right alt. Just use the pulley off the GM alt.
"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children's children what it was once like in the United States where men were free."

- President Ronald Reagan

Spell check people it's free
Proof reading your posts can even help people with the grammers skills of a pet rock.
billsbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 10:19 PM   #3
Rocfrog

Rocfrog has a reputation beyond reputeRocfrog has a reputation beyond reputeRocfrog has a reputation beyond reputeRocfrog has a reputation beyond reputeRocfrog has a reputation beyond reputeRocfrog has a reputation beyond reputeRocfrog has a reputation beyond reputeRocfrog has a reputation beyond reputeRocfrog has a reputation beyond reputeRocfrog has a reputation beyond reputeRocfrog has a reputation beyond repute
DOH!!! That's what I was afraid of, he didn't give me the pulley with it!

Nick
Old 10-27-2008, 10:30 PM   #4
billsbar

billsbar has a reputation beyond reputebillsbar has a reputation beyond reputebillsbar has a reputation beyond reputebillsbar has a reputation beyond reputebillsbar has a reputation beyond reputebillsbar has a reputation beyond reputebillsbar has a reputation beyond reputebillsbar has a reputation beyond reputebillsbar has a reputation beyond reputebillsbar has a reputation beyond reputebillsbar has a reputation beyond repute
I should have one if you can't come up with one. Are you running a V-belt
(1.3) or a flat belt (1.6) style
"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children's children what it was once like in the United States where men were free."

Proof reading your posts can even help people with the grammers skills of a pet rock.
Old 10-27-2008, 10:46 PM   #5
Rocfrog

V-belt.......

I'll have to see if I have any laying around in my 350 parts boxes. i could always take the one off the suburban but I don't want to do that.

I'll let you know what I find. Thanks for the offer!

Nick
Old 10-27-2008, 10:50 PM   #6
billsbar

you can pick up a cheepy chrome one from checker or autozone

Old 10-28-2008, 09:58 AM   #7
WVhillbilly

WVhillbilly has a reputation beyond reputeWVhillbilly has a reputation beyond reputeWVhillbilly has a reputation beyond reputeWVhillbilly has a reputation beyond reputeWVhillbilly has a reputation beyond reputeWVhillbilly has a reputation beyond reputeWVhillbilly has a reputation beyond reputeWVhillbilly has a reputation beyond reputeWVhillbilly has a reputation beyond reputeWVhillbilly has a reputation beyond reputeWVhillbilly has a reputation beyond repute
I went to the alt/starter shop and traded my serpentine belt pulley for a V-style.

Pie
RIP Hatter
RIP Zero
WVhillbilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2008, 03:24 PM   #8
Rocfrog

Ok well I did some digging and found two GM Alt. pulleys in my collection but I don't know if I can use either one. Please help.

Far left is a serp belt GM pulley, next one is a "V" belt GM pulley and the far right is the stock Sami pulley. Now I think I can just use the "v" belt GM one but the groove is slightly different between the Sami one and the GM one does this make a difference???

Nick
Old 11-11-2008, 04:21 PM   #9
DreamCrusher
B.A.A.A. 4 Life

DreamCrusher has a reputation beyond reputeDreamCrusher has a reputation beyond reputeDreamCrusher has a reputation beyond reputeDreamCrusher has a reputation beyond reputeDreamCrusher has a reputation beyond reputeDreamCrusher has a reputation beyond reputeDreamCrusher has a reputation beyond reputeDreamCrusher has a reputation beyond reputeDreamCrusher has a reputation beyond reputeDreamCrusher has a reputation beyond reputeDreamCrusher has a reputation beyond repute
It didn't make a difference on mine. I am running that GM V pulley.

DreamCrusher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2008, 07:49 PM   #10
euby

euby has much to be proud ofeuby has much to be proud ofeuby has much to be proud ofeuby has much to be proud ofeuby has much to be proud ofeuby has much to be proud ofeuby has much to be proud ofeuby has much to be proud ofeuby has much to be proud of
X2 .....I'm using the GM pulley...no worries
88 sammy, 1.3L, 5 speed, SPOA, 4.62 gears with lockrite rear, 4 wheel disk brakes, KYB Shocks, custom front shock mounts, OTT steering, 31x10.50x15, two peice hard top, AC, sunroof, YJ flares, Doorless mirrors, Virtual lift, polyshield, custom bumpers, 1000 watt stereo, 100 amp altenator.....etc
euby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2008, 11:24 PM   #11
billsbar

I'm even running the GM serpentine pulley on my 1.6 flat belt. It's wider then the belt but the groves line up just fine. Zero problems

Old 11-12-2008, 01:13 AM   #12
Rocfrog

Quote:
Originally Posted by billsbar View Post
I'm even running the GM serpentine pulley on my 1.6 flat belt. It's wider then the belt but the groves line up just fine. Zero problems

That was going to be my other question.....

I do have all the pulleys to swap over to the serp. belt but when I put the Sami belt up to the GM serp. belt pulley and didn't know if it would work.

So maybe I'll swap it all over and run the Serp. set up.

Nick
Old 11-13-2008, 02:22 AM   #13
skyman

skyman has a reputation beyond reputeskyman has a reputation beyond reputeskyman has a reputation beyond reputeskyman has a reputation beyond reputeskyman has a reputation beyond reputeskyman has a reputation beyond reputeskyman has a reputation beyond reputeskyman has a reputation beyond reputeskyman has a reputation beyond reputeskyman has a reputation beyond reputeskyman has a reputation beyond repute
If you are running a gm alt, use the smallest pulley available. The rigs these come out of like to idle around 1000rpm and that;s were these lats put out there idle power.

A lot of guys have problems with the battery discharging at idle because the alternator isn't spinning fast enough (zooks like to idle between 700-800 RPM). I have a lot of local friends who have removed their GM alt because it won;t put enough juice out at idle. Using the smallest pulley will really help.

Whichever route you go use a small pulley on the alt ;D and really insulated the power output terminal. on some installs it is very close to the engine mount. You don't want it to short out if the engine torques ;)

HTH
--Sky
skyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2008, 10:17 AM   #14
catzuk
Mmmm Beer!

catzuk has a reputation beyond reputecatzuk has a reputation beyond reputecatzuk has a reputation beyond reputecatzuk has a reputation beyond reputecatzuk has a reputation beyond reputecatzuk has a reputation beyond reputecatzuk has a reputation beyond reputecatzuk has a reputation beyond reputecatzuk has a reputation beyond reputecatzuk has a reputation beyond reputecatzuk has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocfrog View Post
That was going to be my other question.....

I do have all the pulleys to swap over to the serp. belt but when I put the Sami belt up to the GM serp. belt pulley and didn't know if it would work.

So maybe I'll swap it all over and run the Serp. set up.

Nick
Nick, Thats the set-up I'm runin on mine. The smaller 4 rib belt runs just fine on the 5 rib gm pulley. I never had any issues with it.

And I also ran the gm v belt pully too with no issues either from it being a little different.

B.A.A.A Member #14
87 zuk based buggy, 103"wb 37" Black label Comp Krawlers, waggy 44's w/5.38's detroits, 1.6 16V.
87 zuk 31" Cooper STT Pro's, SPOA,1.6 8V Hybrid motor,4.16 t-case, Fr/Rr Lockrights.

catzuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2008, 12:18 AM   #15
bigjoe

bigjoe has a reputation beyond reputebigjoe has a reputation beyond reputebigjoe has a reputation beyond reputebigjoe has a reputation beyond reputebigjoe has a reputation beyond reputebigjoe has a reputation beyond reputebigjoe has a reputation beyond reputebigjoe has a reputation beyond reputebigjoe has a reputation beyond reputebigjoe has a reputation beyond reputebigjoe has a reputation beyond repute
old late 80s v6 camaros have 4 rib pulleys matching the 1.6 belt, thats what i run on mine. if you see one around at a junkyard or whatnot they work.
1991 1.6 8v stock carbed
SJ410 transfer case with RR heavy duty mounts
33x12.50 all terrains
Roadless Gear Polyshield
Subaru brake master cyl.
bigjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2008, 08:02 PM   #16
skyman

skyman has a reputation beyond reputeskyman has a reputation beyond reputeskyman has a reputation beyond reputeskyman has a reputation beyond reputeskyman has a reputation beyond reputeskyman has a reputation beyond reputeskyman has a reputation beyond reputeskyman has a reputation beyond reputeskyman has a reputation beyond reputeskyman has a reputation beyond reputeskyman has a reputation beyond repute
I think I am running a 4 rib belt on a 5 rib pulley for power steering it's working fine...and I am not easy on it (the eninge)

If that helps.
skyman is offline   Reply With Quote