Go Back   Zukikrawlers > Technical > Build-up Garage
Photo Gallery Home Forum FlashChat Email

Build-up Garage Showcase your build up! If you are building it, we want to see it!

Old 04-13-2009, 11:24 PM   #1
Rocfrog

Rocfrog has a reputation beyond reputeRocfrog has a reputation beyond reputeRocfrog has a reputation beyond reputeRocfrog has a reputation beyond reputeRocfrog has a reputation beyond reputeRocfrog has a reputation beyond reputeRocfrog has a reputation beyond reputeRocfrog has a reputation beyond reputeRocfrog has a reputation beyond reputeRocfrog has a reputation beyond reputeRocfrog has a reputation beyond repute
Rocfrog's Extreme Budget Build!

Ok well this stage of the build up is complete! It took two weeks and alot of help from some great friends!

So what I'll use this thread for is to post pictures and some specs. as I get time to upload them because I took alot of pictures during this process!

But for now I'll just list some specs and show a before and after shot!

Ok I got a 1988.5 Samurai about 4 years ago bone stock for Fathers day. It didn't run and after two engines, 4 carberators, and a MY-FI system and it still not running. Catzuk (David) help me swap it out one more time for a good running motor and Swift FI. So frm there I decided to run it and wheel it stock for awhile. So several awesome wheeling trips later I was tired of beating on it! So I had been collecting parts the whole time to do a SPOA with YJ's all around and 5:12 kick gears in both pumpkins.

So two weeks ago I decided to have a BBQ/Build day with some local ZK members. Just to get it done and for everyone to be able to learn and have fun. Well I guess I asked for a little more than I barganed for! LOL! The tear down went great! The first day we got it completly tore down and started cleaning. So I spent the next few nights cutting an welding up all the misc. stuff on the axles.

Ok well I leave you with some pictures for now and continue later!

First two are me next to it in a before and after photo (I'm 5' 7" tall)

Next is the one I took tonight just after wrapping it all up and then went on a test drive!

More build pictures later...

Nick
1988.5 Samurai, 6.5:1 t-case gears, 5:12 gears, welded diffs, ZOR Subspeed Front bumper, Homemade rear bumper, Swift FI, ZOR "thong" and "T-Bra" and "Boobie Hoops", highly modded Mighty Kong T-case bucket, Sky Manf. Axel trusses front, Shaved diffs front, and ZOR crabs. 4link in the rear with Kick rear axel and kick rear springs.

Last edited by Rocfrog; 04-13-2009 at 11:30 PM.
Rocfrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009, 11:38 PM   #2
Stafford01

Stafford01 has a reputation beyond reputeStafford01 has a reputation beyond reputeStafford01 has a reputation beyond reputeStafford01 has a reputation beyond reputeStafford01 has a reputation beyond reputeStafford01 has a reputation beyond reputeStafford01 has a reputation beyond reputeStafford01 has a reputation beyond reputeStafford01 has a reputation beyond reputeStafford01 has a reputation beyond reputeStafford01 has a reputation beyond repute
That things looks sharp you have a nice clean zuk. Looking forward to see more pics of you enjoying your new setup.

One of the many Proud sponsors of Crazysami's Great American zuk tour 2011

Stafford01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009, 11:39 PM   #3
mattwehrly

mattwehrly has a brilliant futuremattwehrly has a brilliant futuremattwehrly has a brilliant futuremattwehrly has a brilliant futuremattwehrly has a brilliant futuremattwehrly has a brilliant futuremattwehrly has a brilliant futuremattwehrly has a brilliant futuremattwehrly has a brilliant futuremattwehrly has a brilliant futuremattwehrly has a brilliant future
Hey nick, Lookin good. Now for some real tires. Do you think my 40"iroks will fit? Just kidding. So are you up for some wheeling this summer. Are there any parts you need. I have some stuff lying around that I'm not using anymore.
mattwehrly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009, 11:43 PM   #4
mattwehrly

mattwehrly has a brilliant futuremattwehrly has a brilliant futuremattwehrly has a brilliant futuremattwehrly has a brilliant futuremattwehrly has a brilliant futuremattwehrly has a brilliant futuremattwehrly has a brilliant futuremattwehrly has a brilliant futuremattwehrly has a brilliant futuremattwehrly has a brilliant futuremattwehrly has a brilliant future
what is your frame height?
Old 04-14-2009, 12:10 AM   #5
peewee2

peewee2 has a reputation beyond reputepeewee2 has a reputation beyond reputepeewee2 has a reputation beyond reputepeewee2 has a reputation beyond reputepeewee2 has a reputation beyond reputepeewee2 has a reputation beyond reputepeewee2 has a reputation beyond reputepeewee2 has a reputation beyond reputepeewee2 has a reputation beyond reputepeewee2 has a reputation beyond reputepeewee2 has a reputation beyond repute
Looks awesome. When is the shakedown run? Im sure this weekend since ill be in AZ.
Old 04-14-2009, 10:02 AM   #6
Rocfrog

Rocfrog has a reputation beyond reputeRocfrog has a reputation beyond reputeRocfrog has a reputation beyond reputeRocfrog has a reputation beyond reputeRocfrog has a reputation beyond reputeRocfrog has a reputation beyond reputeRocfrog has a reputation beyond reputeRocfrog has a reputation beyond reputeRocfrog has a reputation beyond reputeRocfrog has a reputation beyond reputeRocfrog has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by peewee2 View Post
Looks awesome. When is the shakedown run? Im sure this weekend since ill be in AZ.
Unfortunately it won't be until the end of the month in MOAB. But that's just because I'm so busy until then. That's why I was kind of in a hurry to get it done!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattwehrly View Post
Hey nick, Lookin good. Now for some real tires. Do you think my 40"iroks will fit? Just kidding. So are you up for some wheeling this summer. Are there any parts you need. I have some stuff lying around that I'm not using anymore.
Hey Matt whats up!? I haven't talked to you in awhile! I plan to wheel this thing every spare moment I can get! So any trips you have planned let me know and I'll see what I can do!

As far as parts I'm going to need longer shocks as I made the stock ones work. Wheels because I'm borrowing wheel spacers, or a set of wheel spacers. But I think that's about it for now.

Quote:
what is your frame height?
Never measured that I need to do a tone of measuring so I can see how much lift I actually got, so I'll add that to the list....

Nick
1988.5 Samurai, 6.5:1 t-case gears, 5:12 gears, welded diffs, ZOR Subspeed Front bumper, Homemade rear bumper, Swift FI, ZOR "thong" and "T-Bra" and "Boobie Hoops", highly modded Mighty Kong T-case bucket, Sky Manf. Axel trusses front, Shaved diffs front, and ZOR crabs. 4link in the rear with Kick rear axel and kick rear springs.

Old 04-15-2009, 12:40 AM   #7
mattwehrly

I don't have any shocks but I do have a set of 4 -15x8 steel chrome rims you can have. They don't work for me anymore since I now have 6 lugs. I'll see if I can find a pict to email you. I'm getting divorced so I'm trying to get things cleaned up around here. I definately plan to do lots of wheeling this summer. I'll let you know when.
Old 04-15-2009, 12:51 AM   #8
Haku

Haku has a reputation beyond reputeHaku has a reputation beyond reputeHaku has a reputation beyond reputeHaku has a reputation beyond reputeHaku has a reputation beyond reputeHaku has a reputation beyond reputeHaku has a reputation beyond reputeHaku has a reputation beyond reputeHaku has a reputation beyond reputeHaku has a reputation beyond reputeHaku has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
I don't have any shocks but I do have a set of 4 -15x8 steel chrome rims you can have. They don't work for me anymore since I now have 6 lugs. I'll see if I can find a pict to email you. I'm getting divorced so I'm trying to get things cleaned up around here. I definately plan to do lots of wheeling this summer. I'll let you know when.
If he doesn't want em I'll take em off your hands. The PO of my rig for some reason decided it would be cool to have 12 inch rims on their rig (with 30x9.5 tires). I got new tires, but they are still 10.5 inch wide, so I'm in need of getting something new. Not trying to bogard these out from under Rocfrog, just saying that if he finds something else or doesn't want them I could use them.

JH

P.S. If you want to get out this weekend, there are a group of us from www.frontrange4x4.com heading up to Pole Hill/Johnny Park/Bunce on Sunday. Its a conglomeration of rigs, all the way from a mostly stock Dodge Ram all the way to a pretty built up Toyota Tacoma Truggy. Should be fun and ya'll are welcome to tag along. Bunch of really cool people without alot of the Ego and attitude that comes with some of the other "clubs" in CO. -jh
Old 04-18-2009, 08:22 AM   #9
MSuits

MSuits has a reputation beyond reputeMSuits has a reputation beyond reputeMSuits has a reputation beyond reputeMSuits has a reputation beyond reputeMSuits has a reputation beyond reputeMSuits has a reputation beyond reputeMSuits has a reputation beyond reputeMSuits has a reputation beyond reputeMSuits has a reputation beyond reputeMSuits has a reputation beyond reputeMSuits has a reputation beyond repute
you should show off those shaved sammie axles.
Old 04-18-2009, 11:57 AM   #10
Rocfrog

I will....

I haven't even uploaded those pictures yet, and it would be nice if I could figure out the ZK galleries so I don't have to upload all the pictures to photobucket and then link it to the tread so. Hopefully when I get back from Iowa I'll sit down and upload some more...

here's a teaser...

Nick

Old 04-28-2009, 01:41 AM   #11
peewee2

peewee2 has a reputation beyond reputepeewee2 has a reputation beyond reputepeewee2 has a reputation beyond reputepeewee2 has a reputation beyond reputepeewee2 has a reputation beyond reputepeewee2 has a reputation beyond reputepeewee2 has a reputation beyond reputepeewee2 has a reputation beyond reputepeewee2 has a reputation beyond reputepeewee2 has a reputation beyond reputepeewee2 has a reputation beyond repute
any luck on those pics? I wanna see the thing
Old 04-28-2009, 07:48 AM   #12
Rocfrog

Quote:
Originally Posted by peewee2 View Post
any luck on those pics? I wanna see the thing
Then drive around the corner!

No I haven't had time to sit down at the computer and up load them all. It'll probably be next week sometime, after the Moab trip....

So stay tuned.....

Nick

Old 05-07-2009, 11:10 PM   #13
Rocfrog

Ok so here is some of the shaved axel pictures....

Nick

Old 05-07-2009, 11:16 PM   #14
Rocfrog

Here's what Mike (MSuits) came up with for the front mounting point for the YJ springs...

Old 05-07-2009, 11:21 PM   #15
Rocfrog

Then I decided to make my own DIY extended slip yolk....

The best part is I don't think it vibrates much if any. I do have some sort of driveline vibe but I believe I had that with the spacers....

Nick

Old 05-08-2009, 08:11 AM   #16
Itsmejoe231
Krawler

Itsmejoe231 has a reputation beyond reputeItsmejoe231 has a reputation beyond reputeItsmejoe231 has a reputation beyond reputeItsmejoe231 has a reputation beyond reputeItsmejoe231 has a reputation beyond reputeItsmejoe231 has a reputation beyond reputeItsmejoe231 has a reputation beyond reputeItsmejoe231 has a reputation beyond reputeItsmejoe231 has a reputation beyond reputeItsmejoe231 has a reputation beyond reputeItsmejoe231 has a reputation beyond repute
Lookin good Nick!!

Did you figure out the ZK Photo Gallery?

Itsmejoe231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 09:14 AM   #17
Rocfrog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Itsmejoe231 View Post
Lookin good Nick!!

Did you figure out the ZK Photo Gallery?
Thanks!

No I need to figure out who I need to PM and get it figured out....

Nick

Old 05-08-2009, 10:27 AM   #18
crazyatvn

crazyatvn has a reputation beyond reputecrazyatvn has a reputation beyond reputecrazyatvn has a reputation beyond reputecrazyatvn has a reputation beyond reputecrazyatvn has a reputation beyond reputecrazyatvn has a reputation beyond reputecrazyatvn has a reputation beyond reputecrazyatvn has a reputation beyond reputecrazyatvn has a reputation beyond reputecrazyatvn has a reputation beyond reputecrazyatvn has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocfrog View Post
Thanks!

No I need to figure out who I need to PM and get it figured out....

Nick
I use photobucket I could not figure out the gallery either.
crazyatvn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 01:36 PM   #19
Rocfrog

OK so it looks like it's been about a year or so since I've updated this thread. Not a whole lot has changed. I've added kick power steering, 33x12.50 BFG MT's, locked both front and rear. I also added some longer shocks with ZOR boobie hoops.

I didn't take pics of these but will during the next round of repairs. ;o)

But here is how it sat before last weeks roll....

Here is a pic of the roll over....

oh and to date to include cost of the rig I'm only up to about $1700 in cost! I love it!

Nick

Old 09-20-2010, 01:59 PM   #20
New Guy

New Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNew Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNew Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNew Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNew Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNew Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNew Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNew Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNew Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNew Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNew Guy has a reputation beyond repute
I've seen this thing in person and can tell you guys it's sa-weeeeet!

pie

New Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 03:04 PM   #21
billsbar

billsbar has a reputation beyond reputebillsbar has a reputation beyond reputebillsbar has a reputation beyond reputebillsbar has a reputation beyond reputebillsbar has a reputation beyond reputebillsbar has a reputation beyond reputebillsbar has a reputation beyond reputebillsbar has a reputation beyond reputebillsbar has a reputation beyond reputebillsbar has a reputation beyond reputebillsbar has a reputation beyond repute
so where are you headed now that it's been on it's side?
"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children's children what it was once like in the United States where men were free."

- President Ronald Reagan

Spell check people it's free
Proof reading your posts can even help people with the grammers skills of a pet rock.
billsbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 04:03 PM   #22
GreenStomper

GreenStomper has a reputation beyond reputeGreenStomper has a reputation beyond reputeGreenStomper has a reputation beyond reputeGreenStomper has a reputation beyond reputeGreenStomper has a reputation beyond reputeGreenStomper has a reputation beyond reputeGreenStomper has a reputation beyond reputeGreenStomper has a reputation beyond reputeGreenStomper has a reputation beyond reputeGreenStomper has a reputation beyond reputeGreenStomper has a reputation beyond repute
Got the first "scratch" out of the way.

GreenStomper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 11:04 PM   #23
Rocfrog

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Guy View Post
I've seen this thing in person and can tell you guys it's sa-weeeeet!
Thanks David! Not so sweet looking now with a tarp on it, but it'll look good again soon!

Quote:
Originally Posted by billsbar View Post
so where are you headed now that it's been on it's side?
Will that was the second roll on Idependance down in Penrose, I want to take it out to Carnage BV hopefully next year. This roll put me out for the rest of the season.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenStomper View Post
Got the first "scratch" out of the way.
As stated about this was it's second flop/roll this one was just worse, I'll just take the winter time and make it pretty again!

Nick

Old 09-20-2010, 11:41 PM   #24
Marc017

Marc017 has a reputation beyond reputeMarc017 has a reputation beyond reputeMarc017 has a reputation beyond reputeMarc017 has a reputation beyond reputeMarc017 has a reputation beyond reputeMarc017 has a reputation beyond reputeMarc017 has a reputation beyond reputeMarc017 has a reputation beyond reputeMarc017 has a reputation beyond reputeMarc017 has a reputation beyond reputeMarc017 has a reputation beyond repute
So where's the carnage pics of the roll?

www.crossedupcustoms.com
Marc017 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 01:51 AM   #25
Rocfrog

Ok here are the pics from the day after...

Here it is on the trailer...

Here is the hood and fender damage...

Here's the windshield frame...

Rear quarter pannel.....

And this is some of the stuff that broke after the roll....

Winch broke another foot and had to be strapped down....

Rear axle had to strapped to prevent it from rotating on the perches....

And the fuel pump/filter assembly fell off and had to be strapped up...

All the pics can be viewed here...

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v6...0on%209_16_10/

Nick