Go Back   Zukikrawlers > Technical > Suzuki Engine
Photo Gallery Home Forum FlashChat Email

Suzuki Engine Discuss all your engine questions, troubles, and tech in this area.

Old 10-09-2017, 05:39 PM   #1
SamuraiJack88

SamuraiJack88 is an unknown quantity at this point
1.6 16v swap(sami noob)

I'm starting this thread for a place to put all the questions I will have in the future as I work my way through this swap. I have an 88 Samurai with the scariest wiring I've ever seen, yet it runs, barely. I cleaned the carb and it still runs poorly, motor smokes, and it would be gutless if it was at 100%.

So I picked up a 95 tracker for $200 with the 16v. It didn't run when I bought it but I got it running and driving around the yard despite its roof having been chopped off and the frame rusting away. I ordered the trail tough adapter plate and a new clutch. So far I have the 1.6 pulled and on an engine stand. I have pulled the whole wiring harness from the tracker and plan to use all of it in place of the samurai wiring, it all worked before pulling. I plan to use the tracker instrument cluster in the samurai dash somehow.

So my first question is about the speedometer cable. With the samurai t-case and the tracker instrument cluster, will either of these cables plug right in and work?
SamuraiJack88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2017, 07:10 AM   #2
SamuraiJack88

I have the sami engine and trans pulled and am modifying the 1.6 to go back in. Using the 1.3 oil pan and pickup tube, swapping over the flywheel and clutch. I will get some pics on the next day I work on it.

I now have a new question about a fuel tank. I have heard the tank from a 90-95 sami with efi will work with the 1.6 TBI fuel pump. Is the 16v fuel pump the same bolt pattern in the tank as the TBI?
Old 10-30-2017, 03:50 PM   #3
skyhiranger

skyhiranger has a reputation beyond reputeskyhiranger has a reputation beyond reputeskyhiranger has a reputation beyond reputeskyhiranger has a reputation beyond reputeskyhiranger has a reputation beyond reputeskyhiranger has a reputation beyond reputeskyhiranger has a reputation beyond reputeskyhiranger has a reputation beyond reputeskyhiranger has a reputation beyond reputeskyhiranger has a reputation beyond reputeskyhiranger has a reputation beyond repute
If you get a samurai EFI tank with the in-tank fuel pump, you can just use that. You don't need to swap the 16V fuel pump and hanger into the EFI samurai tank.
The trackick fuel pump hanger is shorter than the samurai one and it will not reach the bottom of the samurai fuel tank. If you want to use the trackick fuel pump, it should fit the EFI samurai fuel pump hanger.
Old 11-03-2017, 04:19 PM   #4
SamuraiJack88

Thanks for the info. I ended up ordering a new efi sami tank. Can I reuse the tracker hanger and extend it somehow? I already have a new pump ready to go in. I finally have a day off tomorrow so hopefully I can make use of the growing pile of new parts in the garage.
Old 11-06-2017, 09:22 AM   #5
skyhiranger

skyhiranger has a reputation beyond reputeskyhiranger has a reputation beyond reputeskyhiranger has a reputation beyond reputeskyhiranger has a reputation beyond reputeskyhiranger has a reputation beyond reputeskyhiranger has a reputation beyond reputeskyhiranger has a reputation beyond reputeskyhiranger has a reputation beyond reputeskyhiranger has a reputation beyond reputeskyhiranger has a reputation beyond reputeskyhiranger has a reputation beyond repute
Yeah, you can cut the trackick hanger in two and bolt/weld a piece of metal between the two pieces to make it longer. Then you just need to get a longer piece of rubber hose that goes between the hard line and the fuel pump. I think the wires are long enough to work (been several years since I extended a trackick hanger, so I don't recall for sure).
Old 11-11-2017, 12:58 PM   #6
SamuraiJack88

I promised some pics and always forget when I am actually working. Nothing in detail but here's the samurai, donor tracker, engine on the stand, and new tank.

Old 11-12-2017, 09:54 PM   #7
HaOuLi

HaOuLi has a reputation beyond reputeHaOuLi has a reputation beyond reputeHaOuLi has a reputation beyond reputeHaOuLi has a reputation beyond reputeHaOuLi has a reputation beyond reputeHaOuLi has a reputation beyond reputeHaOuLi has a reputation beyond reputeHaOuLi has a reputation beyond reputeHaOuLi has a reputation beyond reputeHaOuLi has a reputation beyond reputeHaOuLi has a reputation beyond repute
SamuraiJack88, I am looking at a similar swap and using the Trail Tough kit.

What are you doing for the engine mounts?
HaOuLi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2017, 08:46 PM   #8
SamuraiJack88

I have the dodge 318 mounts but have not got far enough to see if they will work. My job gets busy this time of year, so I won't get to work on it till after Christmas. One thing I find surprising is the lack of pictures on the internet of this swap with this kit.
Old 11-17-2017, 12:44 AM   #9
HaOuLi

HaOuLi has a reputation beyond reputeHaOuLi has a reputation beyond reputeHaOuLi has a reputation beyond reputeHaOuLi has a reputation beyond reputeHaOuLi has a reputation beyond reputeHaOuLi has a reputation beyond reputeHaOuLi has a reputation beyond reputeHaOuLi has a reputation beyond reputeHaOuLi has a reputation beyond reputeHaOuLi has a reputation beyond reputeHaOuLi has a reputation beyond repute
What I really should have asked is what engine mount brackets are you using...
Think I figured it out, I need to get the 1.6 brackets. (my engine didn't come with any)

Ye... installing the kit itself is glossed over in many write ups. So may people have used this kit successfully...
Old 11-17-2017, 03:30 AM   #10
Conner

Conner has a reputation beyond reputeConner has a reputation beyond reputeConner has a reputation beyond reputeConner has a reputation beyond reputeConner has a reputation beyond reputeConner has a reputation beyond reputeConner has a reputation beyond reputeConner has a reputation beyond reputeConner has a reputation beyond reputeConner has a reputation beyond reputeConner has a reputation beyond repute
What part number on your engine mounts? I'm in the middle of the same swap and got the car 318 mounts and they seem way too thin (compared to the old ones). Still waiting on my harness and adapter plate to come from trail tough before I can drop it in though. I'm also having troubles finding specific pictures mostly due to all the dead links from photobucket.
Conner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2017, 04:51 PM   #11
SamuraiJack88

Yeah, photobucket is to blame for a lot of lost info, a picture is worth a thousand words.

The mounts I used are autozones duralast 2265. I left the tracker engine side mounts on but I haven't tried it so don't know if I am right or not.
Old 12-09-2017, 06:02 PM   #12
Conner

Conner has a reputation beyond reputeConner has a reputation beyond reputeConner has a reputation beyond reputeConner has a reputation beyond reputeConner has a reputation beyond reputeConner has a reputation beyond reputeConner has a reputation beyond reputeConner has a reputation beyond reputeConner has a reputation beyond reputeConner has a reputation beyond reputeConner has a reputation beyond repute
Figured I might as well post in here instead of making a new thread. Got my 1.6 in, motor mounts lined up perfectly until I went to bolt up the tranny mount. I had to pull the engine forward to get the tranny mount lined up. I plan on swapping the frame mount plates (pass side offset mount that came with tt adapter). Looks like it should bring the rubber mounts back to straight. Still going to have a problem with the exhaust manifold hitting the frame. Might be able to massage the frame a bit to give it some space. The other option would be to shorten the trans mount and push the it back to where it was before. Here's a couple pics of how my mounts look right now.
Drivers side

Pass side
Old 12-10-2017, 01:55 PM   #13
HaOuLi

Nice Conner!!!

The mount brackets onto the engine were the 1.6 brackets yes?

From what I have been told, you have to loosen everything, then wiggle it until everything shifts/settles into place, then tighten...
Old 12-10-2017, 04:49 PM   #14
Conner

I've got the 1.3 mount on the driver's side and 1.6 in pass since the old mount wouldn't bolt to the block on pass side, might try drilling it out to work and see if it changes anything.
Old 02-15-2018, 06:38 PM   #15
SamuraiJack88

Hey guys, just letting you know this project isn't dead. My DD was totaled, bought another car, then had a timing belt go that bent valves. So all my wrenching time has been spent on that. Hopefully another weekend or 2 and I can get back to the sami swap.
Old 05-14-2018, 10:10 PM   #16
mattXX

mattXX is an unknown quantity at this point
Howdy! Any updates on this project?
mattXX is offline   Reply With Quote