Go Back   Zukikrawlers > News > Member of the Month
Photo Gallery Home Forum FlashChat Email

Member of the Month Zukikrawlers Member of the Month

Old 11-02-2013, 12:07 PM   #1
redbeard
costume time.

redbeard has a reputation beyond reputeredbeard has a reputation beyond reputeredbeard has a reputation beyond reputeredbeard has a reputation beyond reputeredbeard has a reputation beyond reputeredbeard has a reputation beyond reputeredbeard has a reputation beyond reputeredbeard has a reputation beyond reputeredbeard has a reputation beyond reputeredbeard has a reputation beyond reputeredbeard has a reputation beyond repute
25 or so questions with Septembers MOM

Caboose
1) Where are you from, how long have you lived there?
I've lived here in Colorado Springs, Colorado for about 16 years now.
2) How long have you been interested in suzuki's and off roading?
I've always had a thing for Samurais when ever we seen them on the trails when I was a kid.
3) What was your first exposure to off roading?
I remember when I was about 6 or so going through the desert in El Paso, TX (Fort Bliss) in the back seat of my dad's Bronco II. We hit a sand dune, caught some air and landed. Nothing out of the ordinary until I realized a rear side window was missing and my dad pull a piece of glass out of my forehead.
4) What was your first rig?
My first 4x4 was the one my dad and I built. '67 Jeepster Commando with a buick v6 swap. Built from the ground up with my pops. My first solo 4x4 was a 88 XJ.
5) How long have you had your current rig, and what work have you done to it?
I got an 84 SJ410 in May of 2012 that was a rust bucket. Then I got my tin top since August of 2012. It's gone from a stocker with calmini 2" reverse shackle lift to what it sits at now during summer of 2013. 1.3 motor with calmini header. 6.5 tcase gears, Twisted TT shifter, and modified TT mighty kong with home made solid tcase mounts. TT complete YJ suspension kit with their Bonz-Eye springs, and TT Shock hoops. Derlin shackle to chassis mount bushings for the missing links. 17" Rims with 2.5" offset wearing 255/75(32"ish) BFG KM's (The tires Jeep JK's come with stock). PRP roadster seats and belts. LROR sliders and diff armor. Trackick Power Steering w/cooler. Various other repairs/mods as things break or need replacing.
6) What was your least favorite upgrade? Did you take it off or are you still running it.
Least favorite upgrade would have to be the rear missing links I think. Not enough shackle angle in the rear so I had to tilt the shocks to get a little softer ride back there.

7) Who or what has been your biggest influence? (in any aspect)
My goal to just build something new as a reward to myself and the changes I've made the past few years in some stuff that I never thought I'd be able to do.

8) When wheeling are you more likely to camp or stay at a motel?
I haven't been on a camping trip since I've built this thing! But I'd prefer to camp if I can do so.

9) Do you drive your rig to the trail or trailer?
The rig is driven. Someday I'd like to flat tow at least to far trails in case something goes wrong one time. But for now, it's daily driven for everything from work to wheeling to grocery getting.

10) What kind of tow rig do you own, or wish you had?
I really want a 97 Dodge 2500 Turbo Diesel for my tow pig.
11) Do you like music on the trail or is the sweet sound of horse power enough for you?
I dabble back and forth between the radio and sweet whispers of loud exhaust leaks and angry OEM carb's. I tend to listen to the radio mostly and isn't all the often available on the trail. To the jams of the Samurai make due.

12) You are given a trip anywhere in the world for you (your family) and your rig to go. Where would it be to, and what would you do there?
Australia!!! Wheeling and exploring. Have always wanted to go there.

13) Where is your favorite place to wheel and what is it like?
I'm still getting back in the groove of the trails and what not as I don't remember a lot of them, but currently there's Chinaman Gulch in Bueno Vista, CO that has won me over till I find the next best.
14) Does your family enjoy the sport or tolerate your addiction?
My lovely lady is a wheeler as well, sporting a 92 XJ painted pink (we used both have XJ's as a "couples" thing). Although she's been skeptical with the amount of money I've put into the sami, she's very understanding as to why I may need something and she's always down to go wheeling, but not so much from the passenger seat. She'd rather drive.

15) What has been your favorite upgrade to your rig?
I think the rims/tires. It definitely gave the tin top it's own personality.

16) What advice would you give someone new to the sport?
Take you time and research what you want to do with what you can do in mind. I spent nearly 6 months of research, parts ordering, and asking others for their feedback and experience with products/setups before I even started taking my apart. It may have taken longer and cost a little more money, but it's been performing great and as I wanted it to with minimal down time and hiccups.
17) In your opinion does a title make the rig, or does it have to still be nearly stock to be a Suzuki?
I like to see at least some of the Zuk components utilized in the vehicle. Not just some body panels attached to a full tubed chassis.

18) Us zukikrawlers are the "best" people, that being said what kind of rigs do you normally wheel with?
I've been trying to wheel with Zuki's and have one local person that I am fortunate to go with pretty often. Some of the others don't have the ability to get out as much as they'd like so there's times I try wheeling with 4xClubs full of yeeps.

19) What is your best memory of being part of the Zukikralwers family?
I think so far it's just all the different people I've met on here then actually get to meet in person as well.

20) No rig is perfect, so what has been your biggest stuck to date, or trail breakage, and were you able to fix it on the trail?
My lady and I went out for a "date" to run a local and easy trail and have lunch at the over look way up in the mountains. We get to the peak, eat our sammiches and march on. Come to a water crossing and I'd warned my girl about "full throttling" through water and hitting it hard and fast. She ignored me. Hydrolocked the XJ in the middle of the water. I waddled into the ice cold rocky mountain water to hook up the tow strap and pull her to dry ground so she wouldnt have to get out and wet. Once out of the water, popped the plugs, cranked it over, got the water out, and running in about 30 minutes. No issues, doing good. Get back to the main dirt road to head home and all of a sudden my Samurai dies. WTF? Crank crank crank, fuel smell. So first thing in any mechanics head, no spark? I pull my plug wires and they look good. Pull the coil with and it falls apart in my hand. The wire had been burned up inside of the insulation. I stripped 5 pieces of light duty electrical wire, twisted the ends together, electrical taped the hell out of it, and jabbed the ends to the dizzy and coil with sticks found on the ground. It started up and got me home some 20miles away through the bumpy mountain road and a fire extinguisher as a passenger.

21) The sh*t hits the fan on a global scale. are you more likely to stick around and defend your "space" or head for the hills and live off the land?
Off to the hills I go!

22) Name anyone past or present you would like to wheel with.
This Tim Hardy guy seems like quite the fellow. It'd be cool to wheel with him I think and pick his brain.

23) Bacon is natures most perfect food. (no question here just a statement I feel should be made more often)
Bacon is not a question, it's merely the answer to what there is to live for.

24) Which is easier to deal with, A. your rig is broke and you dont have the parts to fix it; B. your rig is fine but you dont have the time to use it?
I think it eats away at me when one of my vehicles is broke. As a mechanic by trade, it just drives me nuts when my own cars are broken.
25) You are handed the "keys" to zukikrawlers what is the first thing you would do?
MAKE SOME ZUKIKRAWLERS STICKERS!*
*no need to yell, simply using the words Benji, Head Herder, and or Sheep in the same post is normally enough to get the wooly fellers attention.

Thanks for sharing this.
I came up with a 26) but since I didnt send it to you I will have to rely on the people who read this to fill in the blank on the answer.

26) You find Benji's prize pen left open could you be trusted? (keep the responses clean.)

Samimog,
50 pounds of parts crammed on a 10 pound rig

wish me luck

co-owner mega camper

www.facebook.com/2tribesevents
PIE

WTSS forever
redbeard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 12:09 PM   #2
redbeard
costume time.

redbeard has a reputation beyond reputeredbeard has a reputation beyond reputeredbeard has a reputation beyond reputeredbeard has a reputation beyond reputeredbeard has a reputation beyond reputeredbeard has a reputation beyond reputeredbeard has a reputation beyond reputeredbeard has a reputation beyond reputeredbeard has a reputation beyond reputeredbeard has a reputation beyond reputeredbeard has a reputation beyond repute
Sorry Caboose It would all fit in one post so here we go with some more.

As some people have read through my build thread, I'm a one of the younger individuals that had sort of a "spill" so to say the past few years. I just recent turned 26. After getting out of racing Honda's and building a lean and mean Civic at the rip age of 20 that ended up not being faster than the helicopter, sobering up and having some work done to my back and trying to do better I'm actually content with myself for the first time in a while and a lot is thanks to the zuk as it's finally something I was able to build for me after all the crap and things I had done with myself. It's more or less a reward to my accomplishments for the past few years. With that said, I literally built the base that it sits in about a month, with only about 5 days of it being undriveable. That was just for the suspension swap. Everything was basically bought and once I had it all I started the build 4th of July weekend since it was a long weekend and a co worker offered to give me a ride into work and home for a couple days to help make it easier on the build. I know it still has some ways to go with lockers and a cage and engine swap and etc., but it's been such a blast to wheel just the way it sits now to kinda get my shakes downs out of the way and fix the minor details I overlooked when I spent months of researching. I think overall, it's been a huge success, but as any project, it's never done and there's always gonna be something to improve. I intend to keep moving forward with not only the build but also myself.

The build thread.
http://www.zukikrawlers.com/showthread.php?t=51256

Image: https://fbcdn-sphotos-h-a.akamaihd.n...31925256_n.jpg

Image: https://fbcdn-sphotos-a-a.akamaihd.n...63867931_o.jpg

My lady's and mines rigs...
Image: https://scontent-b-ord.xx.fbcdn.net/...3f&oe=5276A975

Honda I built at 20years old. SOHC 1.6liter non-vtec fully built. 20psi on e85 fuel and tuned by me, 385whp on the dyno at over a mile above sea level
Image: https://fbcdn-sphotos-f-a.akamaihd.n...16338231_o.jpg

Image: https://scontent-a-ord.xx.fbcdn.net/...08728219_n.jpg

Image: https://fbcdn-sphotos-d-a.akamaihd.n...81472411_o.jpg

Image: https://fbcdn-sphotos-d-a.akamaihd.n...64213481_o.jpg

Samimog,
50 pounds of parts crammed on a 10 pound rig

wish me luck

co-owner mega camper

www.facebook.com/2tribesevents
PIE

WTSS forever
redbeard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 02:13 PM   #3
Caboose

Caboose has a reputation beyond reputeCaboose has a reputation beyond reputeCaboose has a reputation beyond reputeCaboose has a reputation beyond reputeCaboose has a reputation beyond reputeCaboose has a reputation beyond reputeCaboose has a reputation beyond reputeCaboose has a reputation beyond reputeCaboose has a reputation beyond reputeCaboose has a reputation beyond reputeCaboose has a reputation beyond repute
Thank you!

Sorry if it was a little ranty and long. I typed it out at about 3am half asleep and bored . And note taken about not having to yell to get the Shepard's attention

Thanks again for the nomination and to everyone around here. It's a great community here and I'm glad I got to join it.

Caboose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 03:13 PM   #4
phloop
Bacon is the answer

phloop has a reputation beyond reputephloop has a reputation beyond reputephloop has a reputation beyond reputephloop has a reputation beyond reputephloop has a reputation beyond reputephloop has a reputation beyond reputephloop has a reputation beyond reputephloop has a reputation beyond reputephloop has a reputation beyond reputephloop has a reputation beyond reputephloop has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by redbeard View Post

26) You find Benji's prize pen left open could you be trusted? (keep the responses clean.)
Got my velcro gloves and rubber boots all ready packed, when do I book a flite?

Union hall 3B

Living life a half bubble off.

pie

0-1

I'm singing dammit!
phloop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 10:51 PM   #5
OFT

OFT has a reputation beyond reputeOFT has a reputation beyond reputeOFT has a reputation beyond reputeOFT has a reputation beyond reputeOFT has a reputation beyond reputeOFT has a reputation beyond reputeOFT has a reputation beyond reputeOFT has a reputation beyond reputeOFT has a reputation beyond reputeOFT has a reputation beyond reputeOFT has a reputation beyond repute
Congratulation's Caboose on being Sept. MOM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Earl
Old 11-02-2013, 10:54 PM   #6
Caboose

Caboose has a reputation beyond reputeCaboose has a reputation beyond reputeCaboose has a reputation beyond reputeCaboose has a reputation beyond reputeCaboose has a reputation beyond reputeCaboose has a reputation beyond reputeCaboose has a reputation beyond reputeCaboose has a reputation beyond reputeCaboose has a reputation beyond reputeCaboose has a reputation beyond reputeCaboose has a reputation beyond repute
Thank you sir!
Caboose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 05:59 AM   #7
Biotex

Biotex has a reputation beyond reputeBiotex has a reputation beyond reputeBiotex has a reputation beyond reputeBiotex has a reputation beyond reputeBiotex has a reputation beyond reputeBiotex has a reputation beyond reputeBiotex has a reputation beyond reputeBiotex has a reputation beyond reputeBiotex has a reputation beyond reputeBiotex has a reputation beyond reputeBiotex has a reputation beyond repute
Congratulations on MOM!