Go Back   Zukikrawlers > Technical > Yota Swap Tech
Photo Gallery Home Forum FlashChat Email

Yota Swap Tech Here you can discuss from engine swaps, axle, swaps, Tcase swaps or just about anything for your Yota parts swap.

Old 02-27-2014, 09:03 PM   #1
toyodaaddict

toyodaaddict has a reputation beyond reputetoyodaaddict has a reputation beyond reputetoyodaaddict has a reputation beyond reputetoyodaaddict has a reputation beyond reputetoyodaaddict has a reputation beyond reputetoyodaaddict has a reputation beyond reputetoyodaaddict has a reputation beyond reputetoyodaaddict has a reputation beyond reputetoyodaaddict has a reputation beyond reputetoyodaaddict has a reputation beyond reputetoyodaaddict has a reputation beyond repute
toy engine/trans swap help (alignment)

iv got another question for you guys that have swaped complete toy drive trains into your sami's.
how critical is it that the engine/trans are perfectly lined up with the frame, is there any room for error ? im having a real hard time finding reliable measuring points and while i feel im pretty close im not conviced im dead on with my mounts. i need this thing to be road worthy when im done. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
toyodaaddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 10:16 PM   #2
jethrobodean

jethrobodean has a reputation beyond reputejethrobodean has a reputation beyond reputejethrobodean has a reputation beyond reputejethrobodean has a reputation beyond reputejethrobodean has a reputation beyond reputejethrobodean has a reputation beyond reputejethrobodean has a reputation beyond reputejethrobodean has a reputation beyond reputejethrobodean has a reputation beyond reputejethrobodean has a reputation beyond reputejethrobodean has a reputation beyond repute
Mine is intentionally offset by about 1/2" for manifold to master cyl clearance, I've seen others with more. A slight offset isn't going to cause any driveshaft angle issues.
Old 02-28-2014, 01:57 AM   #3
toyodaaddict

toyodaaddict has a reputation beyond reputetoyodaaddict has a reputation beyond reputetoyodaaddict has a reputation beyond reputetoyodaaddict has a reputation beyond reputetoyodaaddict has a reputation beyond reputetoyodaaddict has a reputation beyond reputetoyodaaddict has a reputation beyond reputetoyodaaddict has a reputation beyond reputetoyodaaddict has a reputation beyond reputetoyodaaddict has a reputation beyond reputetoyodaaddict has a reputation beyond repute
the po welded some craptastic 3" steel pipe "body lift" blocks to the frame wich i immediately cut off, leaving it impossible to use the factory zuk cone shaped bushings. im using toy bushings wich are just rubber pucks and dont pull the body into position, like i believe the factory zuk cone bushings do. so thats adding to my frustration because iv got to believe the body isnt lined up %100 perfect. i think iv got the tcase output centered. just eyeballing it the engine looks to sit a bit like this / i get a bit obsessive when i have a tape in my hand i guess ill just go with it.
one more thing is 3/4" enough clearance between the fan and radiator?
Old 02-28-2014, 08:12 AM   #4
jethrobodean

jethrobodean has a reputation beyond reputejethrobodean has a reputation beyond reputejethrobodean has a reputation beyond reputejethrobodean has a reputation beyond reputejethrobodean has a reputation beyond reputejethrobodean has a reputation beyond reputejethrobodean has a reputation beyond reputejethrobodean has a reputation beyond reputejethrobodean has a reputation beyond reputejethrobodean has a reputation beyond reputejethrobodean has a reputation beyond repute
That depends on what bushings you're using, angle of radiator, & many other variables. The question really is; Is it possible for the fan to flex into the radiator, if not, should be OK.
Old 03-21-2014, 06:56 PM   #5
o'neal

o'neal has a reputation beyond reputeo'neal has a reputation beyond reputeo'neal has a reputation beyond reputeo'neal has a reputation beyond reputeo'neal has a reputation beyond reputeo'neal has a reputation beyond reputeo'neal has a reputation beyond reputeo'neal has a reputation beyond reputeo'neal has a reputation beyond reputeo'neal has a reputation beyond reputeo'neal has a reputation beyond repute
I had 1.5 inches of room on my RE setup when I had the stock front clip on.I also cut out part of the section that the hood latch bolt's to for a tad more room and run hood pin's.

Do you have any pic's of your setup?
Old 03-22-2014, 12:18 PM   #6
toyodaaddict

i dont realy have any pics worth posting yet. once i get the engine/transmission mounted things will get interesting and ill start a build thread.

i gave up on the 30 year old stock toy mounts and ordered poly hard mounts, i think they will make lining things up alot easier. for the radiator i cut out the hood latch erea and measured the rad/fan clearance on a toyota, its 1 1/4'' with the poly mounts 1'' should be fine, i think. ill shoot for 1 1/4'' when the mounts get here. the lousy thing is any wich way i go it looks like the engine will have to come out if i ever need to change the heater hoses. oh well
Old 03-26-2014, 08:04 PM   #7
o'neal

o'neal has a reputation beyond reputeo'neal has a reputation beyond reputeo'neal has a reputation beyond reputeo'neal has a reputation beyond reputeo'neal has a reputation beyond reputeo'neal has a reputation beyond reputeo'neal has a reputation beyond reputeo'neal has a reputation beyond reputeo'neal has a reputation beyond reputeo'neal has a reputation beyond reputeo'neal has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by toyodaaddict View Post
i dont realy have any pics worth posting yet. once i get the engine/transmission mounted things will get interesting and ill start a build thread.

i gave up on the 30 year old stock toy mounts and ordered poly hard mounts, i think they will make lining things up alot easier. for the radiator i cut out the hood latch erea and measured the rad/fan clearance on a toyota, its 1 1/4'' with the poly mounts 1'' should be fine, i think. ill shoot for 1 1/4'' when the mounts get here. the lousy thing is any wich way i go it looks like the engine will have to come out if i ever need to change the heater hoses. oh well
I thought the stock engine mount's was the best thing on the swap....shimmed with sheet metal,bolted to the engine and slipped right into the frame factory style.Tacked into place,pull the engine and finish welding.As for the heater hoses I don't see the need to pull the engine to replace those as there is plenty of room front and back to mount the R/RE engine's in the samurai bay.