Go Back   Zukikrawlers > Technical > Yota Swap Tech
Photo Gallery Home Forum FlashChat Email

Yota Swap Tech Here you can discuss from engine swaps, axle, swaps, Tcase swaps or just about anything for your Yota parts swap.

Old 07-02-2014, 10:11 PM   #1
Darth-Jesus

Darth-Jesus is an unknown quantity at this point
Yjs SPOA, rotate toy knuckles??

Slowly accumulating parts and hoping to learn from others who have been down this road already.
87 samurai - will be running 33's (well maybe 35s) I will be using a Trail Tough YJ kit and already have the Sky YJ to toy axle kit.

My question is for those who have similar set ups - did you rotate your toy knuckle balls? Worth the effort? Anyone have a similar set up, NOT rotate them and regret it??
Darth-Jesus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 11:52 AM   #2
HvilleHellRaiser

HvilleHellRaiser has a reputation beyond reputeHvilleHellRaiser has a reputation beyond reputeHvilleHellRaiser has a reputation beyond reputeHvilleHellRaiser has a reputation beyond reputeHvilleHellRaiser has a reputation beyond reputeHvilleHellRaiser has a reputation beyond reputeHvilleHellRaiser has a reputation beyond reputeHvilleHellRaiser has a reputation beyond reputeHvilleHellRaiser has a reputation beyond reputeHvilleHellRaiser has a reputation beyond reputeHvilleHellRaiser has a reputation beyond repute
I believe youll be fine without rotating them. My sami is RUF with missing links, yota axles, and 35s. Itll only run around 50mph (low gears) but i dont get any death wobble. I run the stock manual steering box with highsteer. Hope this helps.
Old 07-03-2014, 03:05 PM   #3
samikrawler

samikrawler has a reputation beyond reputesamikrawler has a reputation beyond reputesamikrawler has a reputation beyond reputesamikrawler has a reputation beyond reputesamikrawler has a reputation beyond reputesamikrawler has a reputation beyond reputesamikrawler has a reputation beyond reputesamikrawler has a reputation beyond reputesamikrawler has a reputation beyond reputesamikrawler has a reputation beyond reputesamikrawler has a reputation beyond repute
i wish and some point will rotate the knuckles on my rig. I DD mine on the highway to and from work and the little expantion joints in the roads like to make the rig wonder a bit more than i like. Not to metion i could run a CV drive shaft to help with vib in 4wd at speed.

if your not gunna DD it or drive it on the highway for miles and miles, you will be fine with not doing it. im just picky.

SOLD: 92 samuri JL, 1.3 Turboed EFI, toys, 35s, yjs, gears, ect ect ect
samikrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2014, 08:51 PM   #4
Darth-Jesus

Darth-Jesus is an unknown quantity at this point
Thanks guys for chiming in. Appreciate the input. Im likely fine since I'm rarely going above 55mph - but like you mentioned, I too am picky with road manners.
Build progress is slow so at least I have time to decide!
Darth-Jesus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2015, 10:23 PM   #5
captaindavid

captaindavid has a reputation beyond reputecaptaindavid has a reputation beyond reputecaptaindavid has a reputation beyond reputecaptaindavid has a reputation beyond reputecaptaindavid has a reputation beyond reputecaptaindavid has a reputation beyond reputecaptaindavid has a reputation beyond reputecaptaindavid has a reputation beyond reputecaptaindavid has a reputation beyond reputecaptaindavid has a reputation beyond reputecaptaindavid has a reputation beyond repute
I am currently running YJ SPOA with FJ40 axles and 33s. my top speed in 4x4 is really slow, I would look into a Toyota drive shaft with a CV joint and go from there, if you still dont like the characteristics of the driving, then I would maybe cut and turn the knuckles, it seems like a lot of work and could potentially be more of a last resort.
1in body lift, stock YJ springs, SPOA FJ40, 6.5 tcase gears, twin stick, K&N intake, Doug Thorley Header, lock right in rear, 33" tires, YJ fender flares....whats to come: powersteering, front locker, spot caliper e-brake, CV drivelines
captaindavid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2015, 12:30 AM   #6
Jarhead

Jarhead has a reputation beyond reputeJarhead has a reputation beyond reputeJarhead has a reputation beyond reputeJarhead has a reputation beyond reputeJarhead has a reputation beyond reputeJarhead has a reputation beyond reputeJarhead has a reputation beyond reputeJarhead has a reputation beyond reputeJarhead has a reputation beyond reputeJarhead has a reputation beyond reputeJarhead has a reputation beyond repute
I run toy axles with the sky kit, a yj mising link and 35's. Rotating the knuckles was way too much trouble for me and running the DS with those angles was not going to work. I ended up using a hi pinion diff. It works great with the DS angles and gives you the benifit of a stronger ring and pinion. I ended up getting a v6 carier that fits in the hi pinnion diff and installed a lockright locker. So far I have not had any problems.
Jarhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2016, 12:32 PM   #7
UT410

UT410 has a reputation beyond reputeUT410 has a reputation beyond reputeUT410 has a reputation beyond reputeUT410 has a reputation beyond reputeUT410 has a reputation beyond reputeUT410 has a reputation beyond reputeUT410 has a reputation beyond reputeUT410 has a reputation beyond reputeUT410 has a reputation beyond reputeUT410 has a reputation beyond reputeUT410 has a reputation beyond repute
I, too, went the hi-pinion route (out of an fj80) for my front. It won't change the driving characteristics but it does help in other areas, driveshaft/pinion angle, strength advantage, etc.
UT410 is offline   Reply With Quote