Go Back   Zukikrawlers > Technical > Suzuki Engine
Photo Gallery Home Forum FlashChat Email

Suzuki Engine Discuss all your engine questions, troubles, and tech in this area.

Old 05-29-2013, 01:12 AM   #1
Bodie

Bodie is an unknown quantity at this point
Mild performance 1.3l build questions.

I promise I have searched, but I probably missed the answers to my questions and for that I apologize in advance if this has been covered a million times.

I just bought a 88 sami that has a broken crank, so I need to build a new engine. I do have a spare, but the previous owner said it had a knock. I havent tore it down completely so I really dont know if it going to need a new crank or not yet.

My questions are...

Can I use the pistons out of a 1990 G13BA in my G13A as a 9.5:1 High CR piston? They are about $75 a set on RockAuto which is $25 less than everywhere else.

Can I use the forged crank from the newer G13BA in my G13A also? If I need to replace the crank anyway. I understand it has a little longer stroke, so would I use the newer rods also, or are they really the same stroke?

Will a stock sami radiator keep up with a .040" over bore? I understand the risks of the liner, just wondering about the stock cooling system keeping up.

Has anyone tuned one of these to run on E85? Maybe with some jet sizing info?

I just want to put together a good little engine for the mud and running around town. I bought a Weber carb kit, and may throw in a cam as well, just depends if it needs a new crank or not. I also already have a Doug Thorly header. I may run a electric fuel pump and fan also

I will port match the intake and head, maybe do a little bowl work. I really need to just get it together and running.

Plans are....

Weber 32/36
9.5:1 or 10.2:1 pistons
Forged Crank
272 cam
DT Header w/ 2.5" exhaust

Last edited by Bodie; 05-29-2013 at 04:08 AM.
Bodie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 03:02 PM   #2
Bodie

Taking it to the machine shop today.....
Old 05-29-2013, 06:35 PM   #3
Bodie

Nobody?
Old 05-29-2013, 07:34 PM   #4
jplasse

jplasse has a reputation beyond reputejplasse has a reputation beyond reputejplasse has a reputation beyond reputejplasse has a reputation beyond reputejplasse has a reputation beyond reputejplasse has a reputation beyond reputejplasse has a reputation beyond reputejplasse has a reputation beyond reputejplasse has a reputation beyond reputejplasse has a reputation beyond reputejplasse has a reputation beyond repute
Im not sure but I have 9.5 compression pistons in mine which im almost positive are stock ones from an EFI sami

Crank I have no idea

Radiator should be fine (I am using a stock fan with aluminum radiator with motor in sig and I daily drive it all over)

Mine I run it on 91 Gas so never tried for 85
87 Zuk, P&P 1.3, .040 9.5 piston, 40mm CV Carb, w/Thorley Header, YJ SPOA Homemade Fr ML's/Rear Shackles, Diff Guards, DT 8000 Shocks, Tracker PS w/ Cooler, Calmini High Steer, 6.5:1 Tcase, Rock4xFab Twin Sticks, RRO Mega Mount, 2" BL, 32" STT's on 15x10 OMF Beadlocks, TT Belly Skid, Homemade Sliders, Homemade Front/Rear Bumpers, 6k Winch, Onboard Air Viair 450C, GM 100 Alternator, LED Rocklights, Thumb Throttle

jplasse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 08:09 AM   #5
Bodie

E85 is 105 octane...
Old 06-01-2013, 09:34 AM   #6
Caboose

Caboose has a reputation beyond reputeCaboose has a reputation beyond reputeCaboose has a reputation beyond reputeCaboose has a reputation beyond reputeCaboose has a reputation beyond reputeCaboose has a reputation beyond reputeCaboose has a reputation beyond reputeCaboose has a reputation beyond reputeCaboose has a reputation beyond reputeCaboose has a reputation beyond reputeCaboose has a reputation beyond repute
Honestly you wouldn't need to run e85 for that compression ratio unless you just simply wanted to for the cool points. You could get away with 91ocatane. As a general rule of thumb when ever we tuned Honda's at my altitude on e85 (both turbo'd and N/A), it always will require atleast 30% more fuel to get the correct AFR. So the money you're saving at price per gallon is usually ate up by the fact you need to use more fuel to run it (correctly). You are absolutely correct as the e85 is a higher octane, but usually it is diluted down to around 100 or 101 octane for the summer blend, at least it is around here. There's also a winter blend that is even lower as it is blended with more gas for easier ignition/cold starts.
Although all of my experience with e-85 has been just tuning vehicles with electronic fuel injection with a wideband o2 sensor and a dyno, I don't think it'd be too hard to get a "street" tune setup for a carb but you may want to consider an efi setup and a piggy back like Mega Squirt. I would definitely consider using a wideband o2 sensor as they're basically the only thing the will give you true guidance to find your correct AFR, which by the way is different when using e-85.
With that said I run e85 on my personal turbo honda. 8.5-1 compression with 25lbs of boost for 385whp at Colorado altitude. I love the e-85 as it keeps the exhaust temps cooler and the engine internals super clean. Some people complain that it's really hard to start in the cold and this and that but I've never had an experience with that, mine will start up first try whether is snowing outside, 80degrees, or it's been sitting for months, just all comes to how well you tune it. I used to daily drive it as well and although I had to visit the gas pump every week(although it might be more because of my particular application and driving style). Another piece of advice is to replace all the stock rubber fuel lines and I'd even recommend the vacuum lines as well with new, as e85 can be ate up to the old rubber that doesn't have the resistance to corrosion the new stuff has. It's not like it'll happen over night, but over the years I've seen it happen to a few cars.
My biggest issue with e85 was being limited to it's availability. I had to make sure I new where all the stations were around town so if I ever ran low I could get to one. I've only got 3 last time I checked. Going out of town was interesting and usually resorted in a large fuel can in the back of the ride and constantly checking the cell phone for nearest e85 stations. After about a year of doing that I decided to run two separate fuel maps that can be toggled, one for e85 or one for 91octane with lower boost. May want to take that in consideration if it's limited to availability, especially around where you live.
Caboose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 12:40 PM   #7
unionmine

unionmine has a reputation beyond reputeunionmine has a reputation beyond reputeunionmine has a reputation beyond reputeunionmine has a reputation beyond reputeunionmine has a reputation beyond reputeunionmine has a reputation beyond reputeunionmine has a reputation beyond reputeunionmine has a reputation beyond reputeunionmine has a reputation beyond reputeunionmine has a reputation beyond reputeunionmine has a reputation beyond repute
Yes the stock 1.3 injected pistons will work just fine, I will ask around about the crank.
Old 06-01-2013, 01:38 PM   #8
jplasse

jplasse has a reputation beyond reputejplasse has a reputation beyond reputejplasse has a reputation beyond reputejplasse has a reputation beyond reputejplasse has a reputation beyond reputejplasse has a reputation beyond reputejplasse has a reputation beyond reputejplasse has a reputation beyond reputejplasse has a reputation beyond reputejplasse has a reputation beyond reputejplasse has a reputation beyond repute
The motor that's in mine was originally done/built by a buddy of union mine ^^^
87 Zuk, P&P 1.3, .040 9.5 piston, 40mm CV Carb, w/Thorley Header, YJ SPOA Homemade Fr ML's/Rear Shackles, Diff Guards, DT 8000 Shocks, Tracker PS w/ Cooler, Calmini High Steer, 6.5:1 Tcase, Rock4xFab Twin Sticks, RRO Mega Mount, 2" BL, 32" STT's on 15x10 OMF Beadlocks, TT Belly Skid, Homemade Sliders, Homemade Front/Rear Bumpers, 6k Winch, Onboard Air Viair 450C, GM 100 Alternator, LED Rocklights, Thumb Throttle

jplasse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 06:40 AM   #9
Bodie

I appreciate all the information guys. I got the engine tore down and taken to my machine shop. The crank will polish out, just needed a couple new rods. I am now leaning towards more CR, like 10.2:1 pistons and deck the head and block. My only concern is how much the stock rods can handle, I wouldn't mind it being as high as possible with the 10.2:1 pistons. I do have a wide band and a/f gauge for tuning, and I dont have to worry about cold weather down here.

This zuki is just a toy, it wont see much, if any street use.

Thanks again for the info.