Go Back   Zukikrawlers > Technical > Technical Section
Photo Gallery Home Forum FlashChat Email

Technical Section Technical, Modifications, Troubleshooting, and Repairs. You better wanna get greasy to be in here!

Old 03-23-2013, 12:15 PM   #1
Mr_Black

Mr_Black has a reputation beyond reputeMr_Black has a reputation beyond reputeMr_Black has a reputation beyond reputeMr_Black has a reputation beyond reputeMr_Black has a reputation beyond reputeMr_Black has a reputation beyond reputeMr_Black has a reputation beyond reputeMr_Black has a reputation beyond reputeMr_Black has a reputation beyond reputeMr_Black has a reputation beyond reputeMr_Black has a reputation beyond repute
Miscellaneous DIY YJ swap questions.

After 5 months of searching I finally scored a set of YJ springs off of Craigslist. 4 pack fronts and 5 pack rear springs off of a bone stock 93 YJ. I know a lot of guys get these for free but I have had no such luck. Gave the guy a 120 bucks for the springs, shackles and half kit of urethane bushings.

I have a pretty messed up back, and I would really like this thing to ride like a couch. ;) The stock springs SPOA and my cheap autoparts store shocks pretty much at least make the rear suspension non exsistant. It is a brutal ride.

So I'll start with some questions I have not found any real solid answers on.

1st,
I have seen some people say their relocation brackets change the mounting location by 3 inches? and some I have seen say something like 2.6 inches?
Which is best and which would put the axle in a stock location in the wheel arch?

2nd,
I currently have my front axle mounted 1 inch forward. To keep this placement should I just use my offest perch holes or should I compensate with spring location on my relocation plates? I know its not a huge difference, but maybe it could affect the ride slightly?

I plan on using the stock YJ shackles in the front. I will not be using missing links front or rear. I have a front frame extension welded on and will be moving the front shackle hangers forward.

3rd,
On the rear. I have seen YJ kits that don't use a missing link out back. I don't want missing links out back. What are the thoughts on using a regular shackle and keeping the shackle hanger in the stock location on the frame? I have seen some say this is a no go as it lays the shackle way down flat and I have seen others where it looks like it works just fine.

4th,
Thoughts on using urethane bushings? I know they can limit flex and also make the ride harsher. Will I really notice one way or another? I'm not worried too much about tracking straight down the highway as I have panhard rod now.

5th,
Shocks. What have you guys found that provides truly the most comfortable ride. I have heard the bilsteins take the cake but I'd like to know what you guys have seen. My experience with "white" shocks is they all ride like a lumber wagon.

6th,
I have tall 5.5 inch spoa pads welded onto my stock axles right now. The rig is about as tall as I'd ever want it to be. Am I gonna gain more height with the YJ springs or are they gonna lay down flat with the weight of the samurai on them? I will cut my spoa pads down an inch if need be to keep the thing from getting too tall.

and now for some rambling,
I have seen a lot of comments from guys saying how soft and saggy YJs springs can be on a sammy. This has me kind of cornfused. Isnt a stock YJ with a 4 liter probably a thousand pounds heavier stock to a Samurai? They seem to hold up a stock wrangler just fine?

I'm sure I'll have a few more questions as I begin fabricating stuff for this swap.

I am still having some slight driveshaft vibrations with my current crappy setup. I will now wait and see what that is like with the YJ suspension and then go from there to cure that once and for all.

Sorry for the long winded thread but hopefully it could contain some information that will help people in the future.

88 Samurai. ZOR Turbo 1.3 CV Carb, SPOA YJs, Bilsteins, 6.5s, 33x10.50 KM2s
17 Honda Ridgeline RTL-T AWD
06 F350 CC 4x4 LB PSD Lariat.
15 Ford Mustang, tweaked.
02 Ford Taurus.
Mr_Black is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 01:25 PM   #2
binky_rutledge

binky_rutledge has a reputation beyond reputebinky_rutledge has a reputation beyond reputebinky_rutledge has a reputation beyond reputebinky_rutledge has a reputation beyond reputebinky_rutledge has a reputation beyond reputebinky_rutledge has a reputation beyond reputebinky_rutledge has a reputation beyond reputebinky_rutledge has a reputation beyond reputebinky_rutledge has a reputation beyond reputebinky_rutledge has a reputation beyond reputebinky_rutledge has a reputation beyond repute
My first concern, and i may be wrong here, is that you generally run front yjs on all 4 corners
binky_rutledge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 01:46 PM   #3
HumboldtZuk

HumboldtZuk has a reputation beyond reputeHumboldtZuk has a reputation beyond reputeHumboldtZuk has a reputation beyond reputeHumboldtZuk has a reputation beyond reputeHumboldtZuk has a reputation beyond reputeHumboldtZuk has a reputation beyond reputeHumboldtZuk has a reputation beyond reputeHumboldtZuk has a reputation beyond reputeHumboldtZuk has a reputation beyond reputeHumboldtZuk has a reputation beyond reputeHumboldtZuk has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by binky_rutledge View Post
My first concern, and i may be wrong here, is that you generally run front yjs on all 4 corners
Not necessarily....You may have gathered this from the guys that were recently fitting their rigs with the OME YJ's. A lot of guys run YJ's that they get straight off of Jeeps or they modify the spring packs to their liking.
HumboldtZuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 04:50 PM   #4
OregonFXSTC

OregonFXSTC has a reputation beyond reputeOregonFXSTC has a reputation beyond reputeOregonFXSTC has a reputation beyond reputeOregonFXSTC has a reputation beyond reputeOregonFXSTC has a reputation beyond reputeOregonFXSTC has a reputation beyond reputeOregonFXSTC has a reputation beyond reputeOregonFXSTC has a reputation beyond reputeOregonFXSTC has a reputation beyond reputeOregonFXSTC has a reputation beyond reputeOregonFXSTC has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Black View Post
After 5 months of searching I finally scored a set of YJ springs off of Craigslist. 4 pack fronts and 5 pack rear springs off of a bone stock 93 YJ. I know a lot of guys get these for free but I have had no such luck. Gave the guy a 120 bucks for the springs, shackles and half kit of urethane bushings.

I have a pretty messed up back, and I would really like this thing to ride like a couch. ;) The stock springs SPOA and my cheap autoparts store shocks pretty much at least make the rear suspension non exsistant. It is a brutal ride.

1st,
I have seen some people say their relocation brackets change the mounting location by 3 inches? and some I have seen say something like 2.6 inches?
Which is best and which would put the axle in a stock location in the wheel arch?

2nd,
I currently have my front axle mounted 1 inch forward. To keep this placement should I just use my offest perch holes or should I compensate with spring location on my relocation plates? I know its not a huge difference, but maybe it could affect the ride slightly?

I plan on using the stock YJ shackles in the front. I will not be using missing links front or rear. I have a front frame extension welded on and will be moving the front shackle hangers forward.

3rd,
On the rear. I have seen YJ kits that don't use a missing link out back. I don't want missing links out back. What are the thoughts on using a regular shackle and keeping the shackle hanger in the stock location on the frame? I have seen some say this is a no go as it lays the shackle way down flat and I have seen others where it looks like it works just fine.

4th,
Thoughts on using urethane bushings? I know they can limit flex and also make the ride harsher. Will I really notice one way or another? I'm not worried too much about tracking straight down the highway as I have panhard rod now.

5th,
Shocks. What have you guys found that provides truly the most comfortable ride. I have heard the bilsteins take the cake but I'd like to know what you guys have seen. My experience with "white" shocks is they all ride like a lumber wagon.

6th,
I have tall 5.5 inch spoa pads welded onto my stock axles right now. The rig is about as tall as I'd ever want it to be. Am I gonna gain more height with the YJ springs or are they gonna lay down flat with the weight of the samurai on them? I will cut my spoa pads down an inch if need be to keep the thing from getting too tall.

I have seen a lot of comments from guys saying how soft and saggy YJs springs can be on a sammy. This has me kind of cornfused. Isnt a stock YJ with a 4 liter probably a thousand pounds heavier stock to a Samurai? They seem to hold up a stock wrangler just fine?

I'm sure I'll have a few more questions as I begin fabricating stuff for this swap.

I am still having some slight driveshaft vibrations with my current crappy setup. I will now wait and see what that is like with the YJ suspension and then go from there to cure that once and for all.

Sorry for the long winded thread but hopefully it could contain some information that will help people in the future.

On the 3rd question, I used sky's kit for my YJ spring shackle.

OregonFXSTC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 06:57 PM   #5
crazyatvn

crazyatvn has a reputation beyond reputecrazyatvn has a reputation beyond reputecrazyatvn has a reputation beyond reputecrazyatvn has a reputation beyond reputecrazyatvn has a reputation beyond reputecrazyatvn has a reputation beyond reputecrazyatvn has a reputation beyond reputecrazyatvn has a reputation beyond reputecrazyatvn has a reputation beyond reputecrazyatvn has a reputation beyond reputecrazyatvn has a reputation beyond repute
See red below
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Black View Post

1st,
It really depends on the relocation brackets you make/buy
2nd,
I would measure the location of the axle before removing it then base your yj off of that. Once again it really depends on what brackets you use. But you dont want to move much with your panhard bar and steering.

I use the stock heep shackles on mine but have ML

3rd,

Yep if you mount the spring forward on the relocation bracket you can run longer shackle but the stock YJ will not work too short

4th,

I don't think it will be a big deal yj are so much more improvement over SPOA you will be happy.

5th,

I like my white shocks just have to not have the nitrogen shocks they are too much damping. I run es 1000 on my offroad zuk. I heard good thing about the adjustable rancho 9000 (I think).

6th,

I heard YJ add 1 inch of height to your zuk over stock SPOA

Depends on how beat the YJ springs are My offroad zuk springs are flatter than my DD zuk

crazyatvn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 06:59 PM   #6
crazyatvn

crazyatvn has a reputation beyond reputecrazyatvn has a reputation beyond reputecrazyatvn has a reputation beyond reputecrazyatvn has a reputation beyond reputecrazyatvn has a reputation beyond reputecrazyatvn has a reputation beyond reputecrazyatvn has a reputation beyond reputecrazyatvn has a reputation beyond reputecrazyatvn has a reputation beyond reputecrazyatvn has a reputation beyond reputecrazyatvn has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by binky_rutledge View Post
If you dont have traction bar you will want the 5 leaf on the rear to help with axle wrap yj wrap easy.
crazyatvn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 09:33 PM   #7
Mr_Black

Mr_Black has a reputation beyond reputeMr_Black has a reputation beyond reputeMr_Black has a reputation beyond reputeMr_Black has a reputation beyond reputeMr_Black has a reputation beyond reputeMr_Black has a reputation beyond reputeMr_Black has a reputation beyond reputeMr_Black has a reputation beyond reputeMr_Black has a reputation beyond reputeMr_Black has a reputation beyond reputeMr_Black has a reputation beyond repute
I'll be building me own relocation brackets so what ever dimension will be best will be used.

Oregon, what is the eye to eye dimension on the sky rear shackles? What is the dimension hole to hole on the relocation bracket?

Good info so far.

02 Ford Taurus.
Old 03-24-2013, 10:20 AM   #8
Mr_Black

So, it's looking like for the rear the relocation plates should in fact be 3 inches forward of the original hole and the magic number for the shackle length should be 5.5 inches.

Now I just need to scare up a piece of 1.25" ID piece of tubing to fab up some front shackle hangars.

02 Ford Taurus.