Go Back   Zukikrawlers > Technical > Tracker/Sidekick/Grand Vitara/X-90 forums
Photo Gallery Home Forum FlashChat Email

Tracker/Sidekick/Grand Vitara/X-90 forums This section was designed for all later year Zuks.

Old 08-18-2011, 09:56 AM   #1
Bushmaster

Bushmaster has a reputation beyond reputeBushmaster has a reputation beyond reputeBushmaster has a reputation beyond reputeBushmaster has a reputation beyond reputeBushmaster has a reputation beyond reputeBushmaster has a reputation beyond reputeBushmaster has a reputation beyond reputeBushmaster has a reputation beyond reputeBushmaster has a reputation beyond reputeBushmaster has a reputation beyond reputeBushmaster has a reputation beyond repute
tracker sas build

I'm in the planning stage of a new trail rig. Planning stage because I've got about 5 other partially completed projects to take care of first. What I want to do is build a tracker with 31 - 33 inch tires without a bunch of lifting. Body mods are no issue, I put 31s on a spring under Samurai. To get the best flex, I think a solid axle swap is the way to go. What I'm thinking is to push the axle forward a few inches from stock, use a long lower link with a coil spring on the stock upper mount, mounted to the lower link, not the axle. What I don't know is how much room is there for an upper link and panhard. I have it in my head as a 3 link plus panhard. The rear would likely be pushed back far enough to make room for the tires. I may delete the front fenders or dovetail them. The rear fenders would get a major plasma job. Anybody ever done a SAS like this? This is my first tracker project so I'm not really familiar with the chassis. Any ideas?
Bushmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 11:22 AM   #2
New Guy

New Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNew Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNew Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNew Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNew Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNew Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNew Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNew Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNew Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNew Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNew Guy has a reputation beyond repute
I'm going to be stretching out my SAS'd rig. Go for My's 1link setup, plenty of clearance for your purposes and ridiculous flex. Don't mount your coil to the lower link, that'll bend stuff and break stuff quicker than you can think of some fluent swearing.

Front fenders, just remove them. There isn't much of a market but if they're in good shape they might sell eventually. Maybe toss them on eBay. If you're only going to the 31" to 33" range, why cut the rear? The fender isn't that small. I'm on less than a 2" lift and with the wheels I have, I could clear 31" tires no problem. Maybe roll the inner lip and pound down any seams, but you don't need to cut them out.

Why use standard coils? Fab up some mounts for coilovers or airshocks or if you want to get really crazy, ORI struts.

pie

New Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 01:33 PM   #3
Bushmaster

Bushmaster has a reputation beyond reputeBushmaster has a reputation beyond reputeBushmaster has a reputation beyond reputeBushmaster has a reputation beyond reputeBushmaster has a reputation beyond reputeBushmaster has a reputation beyond reputeBushmaster has a reputation beyond reputeBushmaster has a reputation beyond reputeBushmaster has a reputation beyond reputeBushmaster has a reputation beyond reputeBushmaster has a reputation beyond repute
I'm not after all out rock buggy performance, just want to build something to bash on that doesn't bash back. My Samurai beats the crap out of me. As far as cutting the rear fenders, both my tracker and sidekick are plenty rusty in the back, I thought it might improve the looks. I am considering hacking the rear of the frame off and building it out of tube to tie into a cage. I could buy ZOR's parts, but I build what ever I can. What is the deal with the panhard on that setup?
Old 08-18-2011, 01:35 PM   #4
New Guy

New Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNew Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNew Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNew Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNew Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNew Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNew Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNew Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNew Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNew Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNew Guy has a reputation beyond repute
Uses a standard panhard, it's just got the potential for nearly unlimited flex. It isn't expensive.

pie

Old 08-18-2011, 02:23 PM   #5
Bushmaster

Was that the panhard mounted directly on top of the dif or ??
Old 08-18-2011, 10:39 PM   #6
New Guy

Oh, right! Pogo-trac! You can run that setup, but it may be hard to fab up front. That's set up so that during up and down travel of the axle, there is no arc for the panhard to swing on- it's a straight up and down motion. It can be run with a standard panhard. If you pm My here on ZK (zorproducts) he might be able to get you pics of the suspension on the Guinea Pig. It's very neatly set up.

pie

Old 08-29-2011, 09:36 PM   #7
panheadjay

panheadjay is an unknown quantity at this point
if i knew how to post pics i could send u some pics of my tracker sas. it started as a 2 wheel drive. i mounted a sammi front 6" forward, stock coils, lower links with an upper link on the passenger lower link (just like a factory radius arm on coil sprung trucks) i have a panhard bar on the back side of the diff. the steering is goofy but i think a drop pittman arm may fix it. if some one knows an easy way to post pics i will put them on here. i don't care if i show it off because it ain"t nice but i done it very cheaply and it works. if u are creative and can fab, it can be done cheaply. i do think it would work better if i had coil over's on the front and it may happen soon, but i have three motorcycle's and two truck projects right now and a house.
panheadjay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 11:33 PM   #8
New Guy

Unless you join the brotherhood, you need to use a third-party picture hosting site such as Photobucket or Flickr.

pie

Old 08-29-2011, 11:41 PM   #9
Bass Man

Bass Man has a reputation beyond reputeBass Man has a reputation beyond reputeBass Man has a reputation beyond reputeBass Man has a reputation beyond reputeBass Man has a reputation beyond reputeBass Man has a reputation beyond reputeBass Man has a reputation beyond reputeBass Man has a reputation beyond reputeBass Man has a reputation beyond reputeBass Man has a reputation beyond reputeBass Man has a reputation beyond repute
New Guy I'm kinda surprised you didn't let him know about the rig that inspired yourself!

I like low, good, balanced flex, and I fit 34's on my sidekick with 3" of lift.

Check it out in my sig.
Bass Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 10:49 AM   #10
New Guy

I'd forgotten about your eventual leap to the 34s! I've been really out of it lately.

Yeah, Bass Man has a pretty impressive rig. More or less what I'm going to do with mine but I'm going ZOR 1link instead of 3link.

Also, a ~3" stretch keeping leaves wouldn't be too bad and even with the leaves they will flex more than I could really believe at first. I was drooping further than my tires are tall. With my 2" lift and open/open diffs I made it up on top of a 42" tire...

pie

Old 08-30-2011, 11:19 AM   #11
Bass Man

Bass Man has a reputation beyond reputeBass Man has a reputation beyond reputeBass Man has a reputation beyond reputeBass Man has a reputation beyond reputeBass Man has a reputation beyond reputeBass Man has a reputation beyond reputeBass Man has a reputation beyond reputeBass Man has a reputation beyond reputeBass Man has a reputation beyond reputeBass Man has a reputation beyond reputeBass Man has a reputation beyond repute
Wow that is impressive. I only had like 33" at most.
Old 08-30-2011, 06:26 PM   #12
New Guy

My leaves are shot. They do interesting things. I would have one tire about 2" up but 40" is still nuts out of such a short wheelbase rig.

1link is the way to go, I'm telling ya.

pie

Old 08-31-2011, 09:53 AM   #13
Bushmaster

panhead-
i would like to see pics if you can make them available. But this project has moved farther down the priority list. I just bought two more freakin' Samurais. And I'm leaving tomorrow AM for the TORQ off road races in Crandon Wisconsin, and I am about to throw out an offer on a house so my funds have dried up. I am seeing some good ideas though.
Here is a crazy idea, tell me if it is totally foolish-
Could a SAS be done using a 1/4 elip leaf as the lower links and then one or two upper links with a panhard? This way you wouldn't loose approach angle. Probably be a flexy flier at any speed, but would flex decent I think and would be low cost to fab (for me) I do like to tinker...
Old 08-31-2011, 11:24 AM   #14
New Guy

I thought for a 1/4 elliptical you only needed an anti-wrap bar and a panhard? I don't see why you couldn't do it.

Same for buggy leaves, and those will get you enormous amounts of flex... Would be hard to pull off with the bend in the frame, though.

I don't see how there is really room for a panhard without stretching it out pretty good.

While I'm thinking of it... Bass Man! I tracked down the source of the wobble in my front end. The springs are so worn out that the axle tube is allowed to walk back and forth and the steering tries to fight that motion. Might be what was getting you, as well. I've just let the rig sit until I can pay for the ORI struts that I refuse to do my 1link without.

pie

Old 09-01-2011, 10:49 PM   #15
panheadjay

panheadjay is an unknown quantity at this point
i don't know if i'm worthy of joining the brotherhood.
panheadjay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 11:48 PM   #16
New Guy

Sure you are! I mean, there aren't any real requirements and if you're willing to help then by all means!

Seriously, though, it isn't a secret club or anything. Just sign up here on ZK.

pie

Old 09-02-2011, 12:24 AM   #17
Bass Man

With 1/4 elliptic you are basically hit or miss. I wouldn't take that much risk on a maybe suspension.

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Guy View Post
While I'm thinking of it... Bass Man! I tracked down the source of the wobble in my front end. The springs are so worn out that the axle tube is allowed to walk back and forth and the steering tries to fight that motion. Might be what was getting you, as well. I've just let the rig sit until I can pay for the ORI struts that I refuse to do my 1link without.
What do you mean? Are the bushings wore out and they can go back and forth, or are the U-bolts too loose and lets your axle slide? I think it's all caster, cuz how we gotta run the springs and keep it low, it puts the angle down further than a stock sammy.
Old 09-02-2011, 01:47 AM   #18
New Guy

I'm running ridiculously aggressive caster- I'm going to bump it up even further soon. The way mine was mounted, I was only 6* out from stock and shims didn't fix it.

When I suspend the front end solidly, I can "shove" the axle back and forth about an inch- the steel of the springs is just worn out enough to allow lateral movement. I think for mine at least a panhard would work wonders.

I've got new poly bushings in mine, rebuilt the packs. Remember, I kept sending you PMs bugging you about what would be ideal.

pie