Go Back   Zukikrawlers > Technical > Technical Section
Photo Gallery Home Forum FlashChat Email

Technical Section Technical, Modifications, Troubleshooting, and Repairs. You better wanna get greasy to be in here!

Old 05-26-2010, 07:49 PM   #1
gottahunt

gottahunt has a reputation beyond reputegottahunt has a reputation beyond reputegottahunt has a reputation beyond reputegottahunt has a reputation beyond reputegottahunt has a reputation beyond reputegottahunt has a reputation beyond reputegottahunt has a reputation beyond reputegottahunt has a reputation beyond reputegottahunt has a reputation beyond reputegottahunt has a reputation beyond reputegottahunt has a reputation beyond repute
Sidekick Questions

I may have just bought a couple sidekicks. One is a 93 the other a 97. The 97 is all tricked out with enough accessories to make it a good deal. Ready to roll and has a softtop, needs a few odds and ends. That was where the 93 came in. It is basically stock. The motor runs but there are questions about how good. It has the two piece hardtop that I want for the other rig. It also has the odds and ends the other one is missing or has messed up.

The possible problem is the 93 is a 2WD. I was told it was 4WD but when I got the pictures it is a JS and obviously not 4WD. So I have a few questions for you guys.

The bodies look identical so should the top, tailgate, mirrors from the 93 work on the 97? What about the AC from the 93 (if it has it), will it work on the 97? Both are supposed to be 1.6s. If the 93 will make a good parts rig, I might go ahead and take it. The hardtop alone is worth more than they are asking for the rig. I was hoping this second rig would help me and hopfully I could sell what I don't use.

Thanks,
gottahunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 10:56 PM   #2
skyhiranger

skyhiranger has a reputation beyond reputeskyhiranger has a reputation beyond reputeskyhiranger has a reputation beyond reputeskyhiranger has a reputation beyond reputeskyhiranger has a reputation beyond reputeskyhiranger has a reputation beyond reputeskyhiranger has a reputation beyond reputeskyhiranger has a reputation beyond reputeskyhiranger has a reputation beyond reputeskyhiranger has a reputation beyond reputeskyhiranger has a reputation beyond repute
The 93 has a 1.6 8V, the 97 has a 1.6 16V.....not exactly real good for parts interchange.
The top, tailgate and mirrors should interchange fine.
I was thinking it was the JAs that were the 2 wheelers and the JX and JLX were 4x4s.
Not sure on the AC. It should fit, but I can't say for sure. I know the AC "layout" will be the same, so I don't know why it wouldn't interchange.
Old 05-26-2010, 11:16 PM   #3
TEXCRAWLER

TEXCRAWLER has a reputation beyond reputeTEXCRAWLER has a reputation beyond reputeTEXCRAWLER has a reputation beyond reputeTEXCRAWLER has a reputation beyond reputeTEXCRAWLER has a reputation beyond reputeTEXCRAWLER has a reputation beyond reputeTEXCRAWLER has a reputation beyond reputeTEXCRAWLER has a reputation beyond reputeTEXCRAWLER has a reputation beyond reputeTEXCRAWLER has a reputation beyond reputeTEXCRAWLER has a reputation beyond repute
That 93 could be a 16V. If it doesn't have 16V or 8V on the top of the engine the 97 16V will have cerpentine belts with P/S and the 8V will have V belts most likely not have P/S. You can tell both engines apart very easy. The A/C is interchangable.

Built Tube Buggy. V8, built 700R4, Atlas 2, D60, 5.38 Detroit lockers F&R. 44" Pit Bull Rockers.

Rock Crawlin is life the rest are just details

97' F350, Built 7.3 CCLB
TEXCRAWLER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 01:05 AM   #4
dadstoybox
THE MOTIVATOR

dadstoybox has a reputation beyond reputedadstoybox has a reputation beyond reputedadstoybox has a reputation beyond reputedadstoybox has a reputation beyond reputedadstoybox has a reputation beyond reputedadstoybox has a reputation beyond reputedadstoybox has a reputation beyond reputedadstoybox has a reputation beyond reputedadstoybox has a reputation beyond reputedadstoybox has a reputation beyond reputedadstoybox has a reputation beyond repute
we can also slap a t case , zuki front axle and d shafts in the 93 and make your hunting rig out of it .

All the women in the world gave birth to children while my mother gave birth to a LEGEND
DTB Enterprises
Haul-A-Round Trailer Mfg.
Well Lit Offroad Lighting
QuadCarrier

Proud member of the bigflex padders union Local 10001
pie

RIP Brother
Zero

WTSS
FOREVER

dadstoybox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 01:48 AM   #5
TEXCRAWLER

TEXCRAWLER has a reputation beyond reputeTEXCRAWLER has a reputation beyond reputeTEXCRAWLER has a reputation beyond reputeTEXCRAWLER has a reputation beyond reputeTEXCRAWLER has a reputation beyond reputeTEXCRAWLER has a reputation beyond reputeTEXCRAWLER has a reputation beyond reputeTEXCRAWLER has a reputation beyond reputeTEXCRAWLER has a reputation beyond reputeTEXCRAWLER has a reputation beyond reputeTEXCRAWLER has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by dadstoybox View Post
we can also slap a t case , zuki front axle and d shafts in the 93 and make your hunting rig out of it .
very good idea most the time you can get these parts for dirt cheap.

Built Tube Buggy. V8, built 700R4, Atlas 2, D60, 5.38 Detroit lockers F&R. 44" Pit Bull Rockers.

97' F350, Built 7.3 CCLB
Old 05-27-2010, 03:54 AM   #6
dadstoybox
THE MOTIVATOR

dadstoybox has a reputation beyond reputedadstoybox has a reputation beyond reputedadstoybox has a reputation beyond reputedadstoybox has a reputation beyond reputedadstoybox has a reputation beyond reputedadstoybox has a reputation beyond reputedadstoybox has a reputation beyond reputedadstoybox has a reputation beyond reputedadstoybox has a reputation beyond reputedadstoybox has a reputation beyond reputedadstoybox has a reputation beyond repute
I have a spare front right now. the 97 he found is extreamly nice , atleast from the pictures. to clean to beat and bang on in the boonies. save it for a nice wheeler trail rig and build the 93 if it is not 4wd into your hunting buggy until you find a zuk body to put everything in. we can match the sidekick rear end gears and drop them in the front. spring over a front axle with 2" spacers and have you a nice hunting buggy.

All the women in the world gave birth to children while my mother gave birth to a LEGEND
DTB Enterprises
QuadCarrier

pie

RIP Brother
Zero

WTSS
FOREVER

Old 05-27-2010, 09:13 AM   #7
skyhiranger

skyhiranger has a reputation beyond reputeskyhiranger has a reputation beyond reputeskyhiranger has a reputation beyond reputeskyhiranger has a reputation beyond reputeskyhiranger has a reputation beyond reputeskyhiranger has a reputation beyond reputeskyhiranger has a reputation beyond reputeskyhiranger has a reputation beyond reputeskyhiranger has a reputation beyond reputeskyhiranger has a reputation beyond reputeskyhiranger has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by TEXCRAWLER View Post
That 93 could be a 16V.
No it can't. If you read the post, he states that it has a 2 piece hardtop on it. So, that means it is a 2 door, which didn't get the 16V until 94.
Old 05-27-2010, 11:01 AM   #8
gottahunt

gottahunt has a reputation beyond reputegottahunt has a reputation beyond reputegottahunt has a reputation beyond reputegottahunt has a reputation beyond reputegottahunt has a reputation beyond reputegottahunt has a reputation beyond reputegottahunt has a reputation beyond reputegottahunt has a reputation beyond reputegottahunt has a reputation beyond reputegottahunt has a reputation beyond reputegottahunt has a reputation beyond repute
Well guys it looks like I have hit the "no title" wall again. The tricked out sidekick seller does not have the title. He says it has been sent in for a change in name or lost title but when I call the state's DMV with the VIN and name, nothing matches up. I have been given two different VINS and two different names. I want this tagged and legal. I will just have to wait it out and see if the title comes back and hope they don't sell it out from under me before then.

The 93 is available today. Not sure what kind of shape the motor is in other than it runs. Price is a little high for a 2WD but I wanted the hard top for the other rig as much as anything. If I could put 4WD under it, that would be different. I will give you a holler Don.

Out of a dozen Sami's, Trackers, and Sidekicks I have looked at, I think 2 or 3 have had titles.

Thanks

Last edited by gottahunt; 05-27-2010 at 11:16 AM.
gottahunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 01:28 PM   #9
skyhiranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by gottahunt View Post
Well guys it looks like I have hit the "no title" wall again. The tricked out sidekick seller does not have the title. He says it has been sent in for a change in name or lost title but when I call the state's DMV with the VIN and name, nothing matches up. I have been given two different VINS and two different names. I want this tagged and legal. I will just have to wait it out and see if the title comes back and hope they don't sell it out from under me before then.

The 93 is available today. Not sure what kind of shape the motor is in other than it runs. Price is a little high for a 2WD but I wanted the hard top for the other rig as much as anything. If I could put 4WD under it, that would be different. I will give you a holler Don.

Out of a dozen Sami's, Trackers, and Sidekicks I have looked at, I think 2 or 3 have had titles.

Thanks
I definitely wouldn't give him a penny, until he shows you a valid title, since you need one with a title. I guess you could get him to write you up and agreement, that says you will pay him XX $$, once he produces a valid title, if you are worried about him selling it out from under you....not that it is a 100% guarantee that he won't anyway, but it's something you could try.
No titles are a good bargaining chip (that is, if you don't need a title), you can usually get them pretty cheap, if they don't have titles.
Even trackicks are pretty easy to convert to 4wd. Especially, the 96 and older ones....since they have both frame mounts for the axle drop brackets (the earlier ones just have the passengers side one). I converted a 96 to 4wd, and it was basically plug and play for everything from the drivetrain to the wiring harness.
Old 05-27-2010, 03:32 PM   #10
dadstoybox
THE MOTIVATOR

there seems to be a rash of zuks , kicks and trackers for sale with no paper trail of any kind. you get 10 stories as to why you don't get a title . some don't even want to get you a bill of sale.

DTB Enterprises
QuadCarrier

pie

RIP Brother
Zero

WTSS
FOREVER

Old 05-27-2010, 08:11 PM   #11
TEXCRAWLER

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyhiranger View Post
No it can't. If you read the post, he states that it has a 2 piece hardtop on it. So, that means it is a 2 door, which didn't get the 16V until 94.
The Sidekick I pulled my 16V from didn't have a top. O well

97' F350, Built 7.3 CCLB
Old 05-27-2010, 08:28 PM   #12
skyhiranger

Quote:
The Sidekick I pulled my 16V from didn't have a top. O well
So are you saying it was a 2 door hardtop (not a converible) or it was a 4 door?
What year was it?
Old 05-27-2010, 08:32 PM   #13
TEXCRAWLER

Quote:
So are you saying it was a 2 door hardtop (not a converible) or it was a 4 door?
What year was it?
It was a 2 door. Don't know if it was a hard top or soft. It was gone. 93 yes. I though they introduced the 16V in some in 92'

97' F350, Built 7.3 CCLB
Old 05-27-2010, 08:33 PM   #14
skyhiranger

Quote:
It was a 2 door. Don't know if it was a hard top or soft. It was gone
Ok, so it was a 94 or newer then, right? Because no 93, 2 door trackicks had the 16V from the factory.
They did have 16Vs in 92....but they were only in 4 doors.
Old 05-27-2010, 08:39 PM   #15
TEXCRAWLER

Could have been a late 93' Door tag said 93' I evn took the harnes. Its the one TT built for me.

97' F350, Built 7.3 CCLB
Old 05-27-2010, 08:43 PM   #16
skyhiranger

Quote:
Could have been a late 93' Door tag said 93' I evn took the harnes. Its the one TT built for me.
Door tag tells you the build date.....so if the door tag said 7/93, 8/93, 9/93, 10,93, 11/93, or 12/93, then it was a 94 model year trackick, so it could have had the 16V engine.
Old 05-27-2010, 09:31 PM   #17
TEXCRAWLER

I guess you consider late 93's a 94'

97' F350, Built 7.3 CCLB
Old 05-27-2010, 09:47 PM   #18
skyman

skyman has a reputation beyond reputeskyman has a reputation beyond reputeskyman has a reputation beyond reputeskyman has a reputation beyond reputeskyman has a reputation beyond reputeskyman has a reputation beyond reputeskyman has a reputation beyond reputeskyman has a reputation beyond reputeskyman has a reputation beyond reputeskyman has a reputation beyond reputeskyman has a reputation beyond repute
What's the deal with the no titles? are people not paying off their loans, then hiding the cars from the repo man? or is their a rash of stolen Suzuki's in the area?

It's really rare guys don't have a title here. They are either very old cars, or insurance totals. Worst case the guy lost his original title, if he is the current owner, all he has to do is show his ID to the license shop and sign it off to the new owner.

I just find it really odd you guys find so many without titles.
skyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 09:56 PM   #19
skyhiranger

Quote:
I guess you consider late 93's a 94'
No, it's not me...it is the vehicle manufacturer. Just the same as you will be able to buy 2011 model year vehicles starting in July of this year. Understand how it works now?
Old 05-27-2010, 10:35 PM   #20
TEXCRAWLER

Quote:
No, it's not me...it is the vehicle manufacturer. Just the same as you will be able to buy 2011 model year vehicles starting in July of this year. Understand how it works now?
yup

97' F350, Built 7.3 CCLB
Old 05-28-2010, 12:01 AM   #21
dadstoybox
THE MOTIVATOR

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyman View Post
What's the deal with the no titles? are people not paying off their loans, then hiding the cars from the repo man? or is their a rash of stolen Suzuki's in the area?

It's really rare guys don't have a title here. They are either very old cars, or insurance totals. Worst case the guy lost his original title, if he is the current owner, all he has to do is show his ID to the license shop and sign it off to the new owner.

I just find it really odd you guys find so many without titles.

Gottahunt and I are finding them on craigslist . ks,ok,ar,tx all with title problems. we have ended up with 2 in the last 5 months that we found to have liens on them. 1 lien was from 94 !
if you look on cl right now , dallas ft. woth listings. a guy has 6 he is selling out of a shop, no motors in some , some drivers , none are sold with titles and he states it in the add. run is all I can say.

DTB Enterprises
QuadCarrier

pie

RIP Brother
Zero

WTSS
FOREVER

Old 05-28-2010, 12:30 AM   #22
skyman

skyman has a reputation beyond reputeskyman has a reputation beyond reputeskyman has a reputation beyond reputeskyman has a reputation beyond reputeskyman has a reputation beyond reputeskyman has a reputation beyond reputeskyman has a reputation beyond reputeskyman has a reputation beyond reputeskyman has a reputation beyond reputeskyman has a reputation beyond reputeskyman has a reputation beyond repute
I bought a brand new 96' Nissan in 97. The truck hit the lot in 97', but was called a 96'. The door stamp was early 95.. when ordering parts I had to ask for 96' parts. Go figure eh?
Old 05-28-2010, 01:00 AM   #23
skyman

Ahh I gotcha so it looks to me like guys are not paying their loans off, then either selling the cars with no tittle for parts, or hiding them from the repo man and keeping them. If you get caught with a bad vin anywhere on your rig in WA, and it's big jail time.

I wonder if any of them were lost or misplaced during Katrina; hence not payed for.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadstoybox View Post
Gottahunt and I are finding them on craigslist . ks,ok,ar,tx all with title problems. we have ended up with 2 in the last 5 months that we found to have liens on them. 1 lien was from 94 !
if you look on cl right now , dallas ft. woth listings. a guy has 6 he is selling out of a shop, no motors in some , some drivers , none are sold with titles and he states it in the add. run is all I can say.
Old 05-28-2010, 01:08 AM   #24
dadstoybox
THE MOTIVATOR

I have no clue but you get caught here and loose your rig plus jail time ! don't even ask for your money back .
1 of the 2 here with a lien we got cleared up , it was actually a bank mistake but it took a long time to track down the original owner and get help. then had to deal with a closed car lot and the guy that owned the car lot is dead now.

DTB Enterprises
QuadCarrier

pie

RIP Brother
Zero

WTSS
FOREVER

Old 05-29-2010, 11:34 AM   #25
atvguns

atvguns has a spectacular aura aboutatvguns has a spectacular aura aboutatvguns has a spectacular aura about
The bodies look identical so should the top, tailgate, mirrors from the 93 work on the 97? Thanks,[/QUOTE]

All the new hard and soft tops I have been looking at are listed as 89-94 or 95-98 so are they different or not
atvguns is offline   Reply With Quote