Go Back   Zukikrawlers > General > Anything and Everything
Photo Gallery Home Forum FlashChat Email

Anything and Everything The A&E forum (Anything & Everything) is specifically intended to talk about whatever is on your mind. You can talk about current events, personal relationships, news, or most anything else. No Religion, No Race, or Political threads.

Old 04-13-2010, 12:08 PM   #1
Jetlite11

Jetlite11 has a reputation beyond reputeJetlite11 has a reputation beyond reputeJetlite11 has a reputation beyond reputeJetlite11 has a reputation beyond reputeJetlite11 has a reputation beyond reputeJetlite11 has a reputation beyond reputeJetlite11 has a reputation beyond reputeJetlite11 has a reputation beyond reputeJetlite11 has a reputation beyond reputeJetlite11 has a reputation beyond reputeJetlite11 has a reputation beyond repute
How to search effectively on Zukikrawler

I'm posting because it helps everybody out when you search, it helps others who are willing to help but hate that the same question is answered in a 1000 ways over the years and just dont want to type it all out again and again. Searching and not posting a similar thread helps keep the server load down, thus extending the lifetime of the site and keeps costs down so we can enjoy and take advantage of such a site for years to come.

First step, Sign in! Sometimes the search feature is limited when your not a member here. so sign up and sign in.

Why is it better than google you might ask? Google can search all of this forum but if you are looking for it here, why search from the outside? Search here, its a pretty powerful search function and you will find it faster (or not find it if nobody has posted your search)

Second- click search, do you see it?...

Here is a pic of what it looks like...at the top bar just to the right...

And this is what it looks like when you click on it. I believe you have to have flash enabled for it to work, just so your aware....

From here you can access the basic search functions and usually find what you are looking for.

As you can see you have the option to "show posts" instead of threads which may help a bit if you are looking for something specific. when you choose this option it shows little snippets of the post that the system found using the keyword you searched for...like in this pic

tag search is something that should be used more but not very useful at this time because nobody tags their threads that often, but its worth a shot...

If you still can't find what you are looking for, go to "Advanced Search."

When you click on it, a new page will come up and you will have a lot more options to choose from.

From this pull down menu, you can choose to look in just the titles of threads for your keyword(s). Useful for if you know or have an idea of what the title of the thread is called or narrowing down your search to threads dedicated to what you are searching for.

If you still need to adjust your search, you can choose the many other options available to you.

In the above pic, you can see you can narrow down your search to dates, thread that actually have responses to, and sort it to your liking.

in this next pic, its pretty cool, you can pick what forum (category) you want to narrow down your search, useful when you dont want to look at kicktrack stuff...

To select only one, just click on the one you want to search in. If you want to seach several like what is shown in the picture, thats easy too, just hold down the Ctrl button(Macs may be different) and click which ones you would like to search in.

this next tool is pretty dang sweet, here you can see if you want to find post by a certain user or threads started by a user, you can search for them(their name) too.
just start typing their name (even you are unsure of how to spell their crazy zuki based name) and (with flash enabled) the system will narrow down the list of what it could be. like so,

as you can see i started to write my name and it found it for me, then just click the name and search away...

One last thing, at the bottom of threads, there is a "similar threads" section which, if you may find useful when reading around. Kinda like youtube when you are done watching a video, the system finds related threads for you to check out. Especially useful for those of us that have ADD

see, searching is easy, remember to use simple words and use the tools that have been provided to narrow down your search for best results. Using too many words or too precise words may hinder your results.

the other search function that i use often is the "find" built in to your browser. most browsers, if you press Ctrl+F you activate the find feature. it looks like this in firefox...

using this, you can find keywords that are present on your current page and have it highlight one at a time (press next) or highlight them all.

obviously this is not pirate, and you are not going to be shut down and flamed if you choose not to search, but people will appreciate your attempt to search. plus there is a lot, and i mean a lot a good info here as well other forums. search and you shall find my friends!

Last edited by Jetlite11; 04-14-2010 at 05:05 AM. Reason: added info, corrected some of my morning retardedness
Jetlite11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 12:26 PM   #2
madzukr
OLD TIMER

madzukr has a reputation beyond reputemadzukr has a reputation beyond reputemadzukr has a reputation beyond reputemadzukr has a reputation beyond reputemadzukr has a reputation beyond reputemadzukr has a reputation beyond reputemadzukr has a reputation beyond reputemadzukr has a reputation beyond reputemadzukr has a reputation beyond reputemadzukr has a reputation beyond reputemadzukr has a reputation beyond repute
or you could just ask the queston and get an anwser.
madzukr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 03:57 PM   #3
ack

ack has a reputation beyond reputeack has a reputation beyond reputeack has a reputation beyond reputeack has a reputation beyond reputeack has a reputation beyond reputeack has a reputation beyond reputeack has a reputation beyond reputeack has a reputation beyond reputeack has a reputation beyond reputeack has a reputation beyond reputeack has a reputation beyond repute
search...

All the cool kids are doing it!

thanks and reps to you, Jetlite11!

That said, it's time for me to plug the heck out of my favorite Zookin' Search Engine, Ack's FAQ!

Click on Search in the banner graphic, then follow the instructions to take you directly to the best answer on the net - often found right here at zukikrawlers.com!

End of shameless promotion...

'88 Samurai Offroader
'88.5 Samurai Tintop
'16 Ford Flex Limited AWD "Uber-mobile"
http://www.acksfaq.com

ack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 05:38 PM   #4
Jetlite11

Jetlite11 has a reputation beyond reputeJetlite11 has a reputation beyond reputeJetlite11 has a reputation beyond reputeJetlite11 has a reputation beyond reputeJetlite11 has a reputation beyond reputeJetlite11 has a reputation beyond reputeJetlite11 has a reputation beyond reputeJetlite11 has a reputation beyond reputeJetlite11 has a reputation beyond reputeJetlite11 has a reputation beyond reputeJetlite11 has a reputation beyond repute
ack's post got me thinking

hereis a really cool howto and add-on for firefox (if you dont have firefox, you should change ) that will let you put any search box into the search tool bar that is in the right upper corner.

after installing the plug-in, just right click within a search box like the one in this pic

and in the right click menu, choose "add to search bar"

just tested it for Ack's FAQ and ZukiKrawlers and they both work very nice...
Old 04-13-2010, 06:24 PM   #5
Bass Man

Bass Man has a reputation beyond reputeBass Man has a reputation beyond reputeBass Man has a reputation beyond reputeBass Man has a reputation beyond reputeBass Man has a reputation beyond reputeBass Man has a reputation beyond reputeBass Man has a reputation beyond reputeBass Man has a reputation beyond reputeBass Man has a reputation beyond reputeBass Man has a reputation beyond reputeBass Man has a reputation beyond repute
Nice writeup. You've mastered hyperlinking, now what about capitals and periods? Rep to ya.
Bass Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 08:07 PM   #6
Itsmejoe231
Krawler

Itsmejoe231 has a reputation beyond reputeItsmejoe231 has a reputation beyond reputeItsmejoe231 has a reputation beyond reputeItsmejoe231 has a reputation beyond reputeItsmejoe231 has a reputation beyond reputeItsmejoe231 has a reputation beyond reputeItsmejoe231 has a reputation beyond reputeItsmejoe231 has a reputation beyond reputeItsmejoe231 has a reputation beyond reputeItsmejoe231 has a reputation beyond reputeItsmejoe231 has a reputation beyond repute
Nice write up!! And thanks for the info. I will make this a sticky and duplicate it in the FAQ section.

Also rep added!

Itsmejoe231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 08:25 PM   #7
kabob

kabob has a reputation beyond reputekabob has a reputation beyond reputekabob has a reputation beyond reputekabob has a reputation beyond reputekabob has a reputation beyond reputekabob has a reputation beyond reputekabob has a reputation beyond reputekabob has a reputation beyond reputekabob has a reputation beyond reputekabob has a reputation beyond reputekabob has a reputation beyond repute
nice write up ...... yeah I gave up on telling people to search.... really, its retarded how many times people ask the same question over and over again

Quote:
Originally Posted by ephrael View Post
This is the greatest thread in the history of threads. Thank you guys so much.

kabob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 10:55 PM   #8
Jetlite11

thanks for the "nice write up"s, there only so much i can add to this board cause most has been covered!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kabob View Post
nice write up ...... yeah I gave up on telling people to search.... really, its retarded how many times people ask the same question over and over again
i gave up too plus i feel like people then think you are a Richard if you tell them to search. but then i thought that maybe they just dont know how to search that well...ever wonder why the IT guy doesnt ever know the answer to your questions right off hand. he may say something like " well that is weird..." and run off and find the answer...its because he is a master at searching. IT guys actually get tested on their googling skills!

anyway, with everybody and their mom on the internet these days, a good search will turn up something. what i'm hoping, is if people know how to really search, they will find what they are looking for faster than they would asking.