Go Back   Zukikrawlers > Technical > Suzuki Engine
Photo Gallery Home Forum FlashChat Email

Suzuki Engine Discuss all your engine questions, troubles, and tech in this area.

Old 09-07-2011, 08:13 AM   #1
sledhead004

sledhead004 has a reputation beyond reputesledhead004 has a reputation beyond reputesledhead004 has a reputation beyond reputesledhead004 has a reputation beyond reputesledhead004 has a reputation beyond reputesledhead004 has a reputation beyond reputesledhead004 has a reputation beyond reputesledhead004 has a reputation beyond reputesledhead004 has a reputation beyond reputesledhead004 has a reputation beyond reputesledhead004 has a reputation beyond repute
16 valve idle

Got my 16 v swap done and it seems to run well. The motor has a pretty high cold idle (2500 rpm). During the warm up the motor will drop rpm and then raise back up like its searching for the right idle. I think one of the guys that helped me do the install messed with the idle adjustment screw. Is this bad? I know I need to check the TPS to see if its ok, but I was wondering if anybody had any other ideas. I read on kick-fix.com a little but couldn't find much. My motor is a 1995 1.6 16 valve.

1987 Samurai JX DD
4.57s,lockrights, 34x10.50x15, Rock4xfab Cage, 1.6 16v and yj spoa, 6:5:1 t-case. Twisted T,
Proud member of the bigflex padders union!
Local 10001

sledhead004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 09:46 AM   #2
zorproducts
God blessed America

zorproducts has a reputation beyond reputezorproducts has a reputation beyond reputezorproducts has a reputation beyond reputezorproducts has a reputation beyond reputezorproducts has a reputation beyond reputezorproducts has a reputation beyond reputezorproducts has a reputation beyond reputezorproducts has a reputation beyond reputezorproducts has a reputation beyond reputezorproducts has a reputation beyond reputezorproducts has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by sledhead004 View Post
Got my 16 v swap done and it seems to run well. The motor has a pretty high cold idle (2500 rpm). During the warm up the motor will drop rpm and then raise back up like its searching for the right idle. I think one of the guys that helped me do the install messed with the idle adjustment screw. Is this bad? I know I need to check the TPS to see if its ok, but I was wondering if anybody had any other ideas. I read on kick-fix.com a little but couldn't find much. My motor is a 1995 1.6 16 valve.
I can assure you this is not normal and my previous experience of this description has always been fixed with a new Throttle Body gasket. If you spray carb cleaner at the base of the square gasket (4 bolts) attaching the TB to the plenum and you get a idle up then you can try tightening the bolts or must replace this gasket.

MY
Brass shift sheets T-BRA & THONG, MY-SIDE1 & 2 CV kits, SNATCH "the best t-case cradle". TRAIL-GEAR Authorized Dealer. ZOR Bumpers! See that little set of scales over to the lower left? Give me reputation IF I HAVE helped you and I will be happy!
http://zuksoffroad.com

Stay outta my tree! And the tree next to my tree and the trees next to that! Or any tree made out of wood!
zorproducts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 10:23 AM   #3
sledhead004

sledhead004 has a reputation beyond reputesledhead004 has a reputation beyond reputesledhead004 has a reputation beyond reputesledhead004 has a reputation beyond reputesledhead004 has a reputation beyond reputesledhead004 has a reputation beyond reputesledhead004 has a reputation beyond reputesledhead004 has a reputation beyond reputesledhead004 has a reputation beyond reputesledhead004 has a reputation beyond reputesledhead004 has a reputation beyond repute
Thanks My I will try it!

1987 Samurai JX DD
4.57s,lockrights, 34x10.50x15, Rock4xfab Cage, 1.6 16v and yj spoa, 6:5:1 t-case. Twisted T,
Local 10001

Old 09-08-2011, 11:25 AM   #4
HardLuk

HardLuk has a reputation beyond reputeHardLuk has a reputation beyond reputeHardLuk has a reputation beyond reputeHardLuk has a reputation beyond reputeHardLuk has a reputation beyond reputeHardLuk has a reputation beyond reputeHardLuk has a reputation beyond reputeHardLuk has a reputation beyond reputeHardLuk has a reputation beyond reputeHardLuk has a reputation beyond reputeHardLuk has a reputation beyond repute
Please let us know your findings, sledhead004
"The point of spring under is better control. It has improved my handling and control a huge amount. My last lift was a 6" spoa with mudder tires, that was a pain in the butt to control, wandered all over the road, bump steer like you cant believe, rattled, shook, bounced, jiggled, everything but julienne fries." -- rkteckt

HardLuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 11:58 AM   #5
dadstoybox
THE MOTIVATOR

dadstoybox has a reputation beyond reputedadstoybox has a reputation beyond reputedadstoybox has a reputation beyond reputedadstoybox has a reputation beyond reputedadstoybox has a reputation beyond reputedadstoybox has a reputation beyond reputedadstoybox has a reputation beyond reputedadstoybox has a reputation beyond reputedadstoybox has a reputation beyond reputedadstoybox has a reputation beyond reputedadstoybox has a reputation beyond repute
Myron nailed it. seems like everyone we mess with around here has the same issue. when you replace the gasket,dont use 3 tubes of RTV on it

All the women in the world gave birth to children while my mother gave birth to a LEGEND
DTB Enterprises
Haul-A-Round Trailer Mfg.
Well Lit Offroad Lighting
QuadCarrier

Proud member of the bigflex padders union Local 10001
pie

RIP Brother
Zero

WTSS
FOREVER

dadstoybox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 09:20 PM   #6
sledhead004

Sprayed the carb cleaner around and got no idle up. I ordered a gasket any way and I will start there. Is it ok to adjust the screw or are you supposed to leave it after setting your TPS?

1987 Samurai JX DD
Local 10001

Last edited by sledhead004; 09-09-2011 at 10:01 PM.
Old 09-10-2011, 10:00 AM   #7
zorproducts
God blessed America

zorproducts has a reputation beyond reputezorproducts has a reputation beyond reputezorproducts has a reputation beyond reputezorproducts has a reputation beyond reputezorproducts has a reputation beyond reputezorproducts has a reputation beyond reputezorproducts has a reputation beyond reputezorproducts has a reputation beyond reputezorproducts has a reputation beyond reputezorproducts has a reputation beyond reputezorproducts has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Sprayed the carb cleaner around and got no idle up. I ordered a gasket any way and I will start there. Is it ok to adjust the screw or are you supposed to leave it after setting your TPS?
I have adjusted that screw with good effects in the past.

I also had a hard time getting it to idle up by spraying carb cleaner on it. It was loose on the bottom and it got fixed with a new gasket. What you should be have is a "surge". This problem almost got me killed a few years back. I was asked at an event to pose on a rock above a canyon. When I dropped down onto the rock the engine surged and I couldn't stop the rig. When the front tires went over I looked at my wife and said we were going to die. Looking at the picture doesn't really show how far up we were. We probably wouldn't have died but I wouldn't want to find out. Fortuneatly, the front dif dug into the last bit of rock ledge and I had enough time to hit the kill switch. Pucker factor for sure. I use a pcture of that on my business card to remember that ez fix.

MY

Brass shift sheets T-BRA & THONG, MY-SIDE1 & 2 CV kits, SNATCH "the best t-case cradle". TRAIL-GEAR Authorized Dealer. ZOR Bumpers! See that little set of scales over to the lower left? Give me reputation IF I HAVE helped you and I will be happy!

Stay outta my tree! And the tree next to my tree and the trees next to that! Or any tree made out of wood!
Old 09-10-2011, 08:03 PM   #8
sledhead004

Man thats a bummer My! I ordered a gasket last night. After coming off cold warm up or high idle and its warmed up it seems to be searching for the right place to idle, but not to much only a few hundred rpms.

1987 Samurai JX DD
Local 10001

Old 09-11-2011, 01:43 AM   #9
skyman

skyman has a reputation beyond reputeskyman has a reputation beyond reputeskyman has a reputation beyond reputeskyman has a reputation beyond reputeskyman has a reputation beyond reputeskyman has a reputation beyond reputeskyman has a reputation beyond reputeskyman has a reputation beyond reputeskyman has a reputation beyond reputeskyman has a reputation beyond reputeskyman has a reputation beyond repute
is this specific to the 16v, or can the gasket cause this with an 8v too?
skyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 08:41 AM   #10
zorproducts
God blessed America

Quote:
Man thats a bummer My! I ordered a gasket last night. After coming off cold warm up or high idle and its warmed up it seems to be searching for the right place to idle, but not to much only a few hundred rpms.
Again you are describing that "surge" hope you find I am correct. In any case have you checked the IAC? Blue connector going into the plenum. Have someone turn key on and off and see if you feel the IAC open and close. It is a controlled vacuum leak for maintaining idle.

MY

Old 09-11-2011, 08:42 AM   #11
zorproducts
God blessed America

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyman View Post
is this specific to the 16v, or can the gasket cause this with an 8v too?
Totally different thing on a surging 8v. Bring it by the shop and I will adjust the wax plug for you.

MY

Old 09-11-2011, 07:49 PM   #12
sledhead004

Quote:
Originally Posted by zorproducts View Post
Again you are describing that "surge" hope you find I am correct. In any case have you checked the IAC? Blue connector going into the plenum. Have someone turn key on and off and see if you feel the IAC open and close. It is a controlled vacuum leak for maintaining idle.

MY
No but I will!! I'm on graves this week so hopefully I can get time to look into this. Also when starting cold it runs really high rpm above 2,000 rpm, Is this normal?

1987 Samurai JX DD
Local 10001

Last edited by sledhead004; 09-11-2011 at 08:26 PM.
Old 11-17-2011, 11:06 PM   #13
my996duc1

my996duc1 has a reputation beyond reputemy996duc1 has a reputation beyond reputemy996duc1 has a reputation beyond reputemy996duc1 has a reputation beyond reputemy996duc1 has a reputation beyond reputemy996duc1 has a reputation beyond reputemy996duc1 has a reputation beyond reputemy996duc1 has a reputation beyond reputemy996duc1 has a reputation beyond reputemy996duc1 has a reputation beyond reputemy996duc1 has a reputation beyond repute
old thread but my 16v idle is surging.
it doesn't do it every time.

did you ever get your idle surge fixed ?

1987 Tintop / 1.6 16V ps & ac / 6.4 t-case Twisted TT / 4.30 R&P Hybrid rear / Double Tough axles / Shrockworks f&r, sides / ARB lockers f&r / Kong & TT full skid / DS disconnect / CV shafts f & r / TT YJ missing links f & r / PW tintop cage / PW 15 gal Tank / 31" x 12.50 - SOLD

Last edited by my996duc1; 11-17-2011 at 11:17 PM.
my996duc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 09:51 AM   #14
talonxracer

talonxracer has a reputation beyond reputetalonxracer has a reputation beyond reputetalonxracer has a reputation beyond reputetalonxracer has a reputation beyond reputetalonxracer has a reputation beyond reputetalonxracer has a reputation beyond reputetalonxracer has a reputation beyond reputetalonxracer has a reputation beyond reputetalonxracer has a reputation beyond reputetalonxracer has a reputation beyond reputetalonxracer has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by my996duc1 View Post

My sidekick did that as well, I discovered a complete cleaning of the EGR circuit cleaned up the idle issue, as well as provided more power throughout the rpm range. The EGR was not compeltely closing/sealing.

MUTANTS for NUKES,,, feel the GLOW !!!
talonxracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 09:40 PM   #15
my996duc1

my996duc1 has a reputation beyond reputemy996duc1 has a reputation beyond reputemy996duc1 has a reputation beyond reputemy996duc1 has a reputation beyond reputemy996duc1 has a reputation beyond reputemy996duc1 has a reputation beyond reputemy996duc1 has a reputation beyond reputemy996duc1 has a reputation beyond reputemy996duc1 has a reputation beyond reputemy996duc1 has a reputation beyond reputemy996duc1 has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by talonxracer View Post
My sidekick did that as well, I discovered a complete cleaning of the EGR circuit cleaned up the idle issue, as well as provided more power throughout the rpm range. The EGR was not compeltely closing/sealing.
I will start there.
Thank you !
1987 Tintop / 1.6 16V ps & ac / 6.4 t-case Twisted TT / 4.30 R&P Hybrid rear / Double Tough axles / Shrockworks f&r, sides / ARB lockers f&r / Kong & TT full skid / DS disconnect / CV shafts f & r / TT YJ missing links f & r / PW tintop cage / PW 15 gal Tank / 31" x 12.50 - SOLD
Old 11-18-2011, 10:32 PM   #16
seb112

seb112 has a reputation beyond reputeseb112 has a reputation beyond reputeseb112 has a reputation beyond reputeseb112 has a reputation beyond reputeseb112 has a reputation beyond reputeseb112 has a reputation beyond reputeseb112 has a reputation beyond reputeseb112 has a reputation beyond reputeseb112 has a reputation beyond reputeseb112 has a reputation beyond reputeseb112 has a reputation beyond repute
i had the same probleme exept it was doing it when i was holding the gas steady wile cruising in the trail

turns out it was the tps
yj front, 4link coil rear
kick power steering
New paint
Toy axle

Proud to be Sponsored by Zuks Off Road for 2011
My build

seb112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 11:10 PM   #17
my996duc1

Quote:
Originally Posted by seb112 View Post
i had the same probleme exept it was doing it when i was holding the gas steady wile cruising in the trail

turns out it was the tps
I will try unplugging the TPS and see if that changes anything.
I think unplugging it is how I can check to see if it is causing the problem ... ??

Thanks for the suggestion !
Old 11-19-2011, 12:29 PM   #18
seb112

seb112 has a reputation beyond reputeseb112 has a reputation beyond reputeseb112 has a reputation beyond reputeseb112 has a reputation beyond reputeseb112 has a reputation beyond reputeseb112 has a reputation beyond reputeseb112 has a reputation beyond reputeseb112 has a reputation beyond reputeseb112 has a reputation beyond reputeseb112 has a reputation beyond reputeseb112 has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
I will try unplugging the TPS and see if that changes anything.
I think unplugging it is how I can check to see if it is causing the problem ... ??

Thanks for the suggestion !
yes
yj front, 4link coil rear
kick power steering
New paint
Toy axle

Proud to be Sponsored by Zuks Off Road for 2011
My build

seb112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2011, 01:05 PM   #19
sledhead004

Quote:

I haven't had a chance to put my gasket in yet, hopefully in the next few weeks, I will get around to it.

1987 Samurai JX DD
Local 10001

Old 11-21-2011, 05:21 PM   #20
my996duc1

I tried un hooking the TPS sensor and it had no effect other than to throw the cel.
I took off the air intake and looked passed the throttle plate and I can see the small hole inside has a very small amount of carbon build up. The next thing to try is pulling the EGR and associated tubing and try cleaning it out.

Mine is running sometimes just fine, no problems.
Then later it will idle up for a few seconds drop down to idle then immediately bounce back up to about 1200rpm and hold it for a few seconds before dropping back down, then back up.

It does NOT surge while driving it. I've tried slow speed driving along and it seems to run fine.

Anything else I should be looking at ??

_
Old 12-11-2011, 10:54 PM   #21
my996duc1

GOT IT.

I went to take off the EGR to clean it and the top bolt was loose.
I tightened it up and checked the bottom bolt.

Been driving it a couple of days with no more of the surging idle.

Thank you for all the info and ideas.