Go Back   Zukikrawlers > Technical > Technical Section
Photo Gallery Home Forum FlashChat Email

Technical Section Technical, Modifications, Troubleshooting, and Repairs. You better wanna get greasy to be in here!

Old 07-24-2009, 06:18 PM   #1
MSuits

MSuits has a reputation beyond reputeMSuits has a reputation beyond reputeMSuits has a reputation beyond reputeMSuits has a reputation beyond reputeMSuits has a reputation beyond reputeMSuits has a reputation beyond reputeMSuits has a reputation beyond reputeMSuits has a reputation beyond reputeMSuits has a reputation beyond reputeMSuits has a reputation beyond reputeMSuits has a reputation beyond repute
16 valve, what trans & gears?

Right now I have a 1.3, 6.5 case and 5.12 r&p gears with a stock 5 speed trans. I love the crawl ratio for crawlin and can still do 65-70mph on the road.(yes, the rpms are high at that speed)

I have a 16 valve with a 3 speed auto sitting in my garage. I Had planned on using the auto, but I am worried about it being to low for the road. It would be a waste to have a 16 valve and not be able to cruise it down the road. On the other side I like my low range for crawling, and adding the auto would make it that much cooler.

I guess I am looking for opinions on what would be the setup.
Old 07-24-2009, 06:43 PM   #2
zorproducts
God blessed America

zorproducts has a reputation beyond reputezorproducts has a reputation beyond reputezorproducts has a reputation beyond reputezorproducts has a reputation beyond reputezorproducts has a reputation beyond reputezorproducts has a reputation beyond reputezorproducts has a reputation beyond reputezorproducts has a reputation beyond reputezorproducts has a reputation beyond reputezorproducts has a reputation beyond reputezorproducts has a reputation beyond repute
If that is a GMC 3 speed auto 2wd Tracker auto I will take it off your hands (if you have all the stuff to go with it). I have a very good 5 speed 2wd for trackers, direct bolt onto motor, larger clutch (than 5 speed Samurai), little modification reguired to cross member (I usually just weld a plate on and extend the bolt pattern forward for trans). You need to run a stubby intermediate shaft just like with the 2wd auto. 65 to 70 with an auto will be above 4500 rpms even with the 16v. Autos are the bomb for crawling but I prefer to have them in trailer queens. If you want the best of both worlds the auto may not make you happy.

MY
Brass shift sheets T-BRA & THONG, MY-SIDE1 & 2 CV kits, SNATCH "the best t-case cradle". TRAIL-GEAR Authorized Dealer. ZOR Bumpers! See that little set of scales over to the lower left? Give me reputation IF I HAVE helped you and I will be happy!
http://zuksoffroad.com

Stay outta my tree! And the tree next to my tree and the trees next to that! Or any tree made out of wood!
zorproducts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 09:35 PM   #3
Bass Man

Bass Man has a reputation beyond reputeBass Man has a reputation beyond reputeBass Man has a reputation beyond reputeBass Man has a reputation beyond reputeBass Man has a reputation beyond reputeBass Man has a reputation beyond reputeBass Man has a reputation beyond reputeBass Man has a reputation beyond reputeBass Man has a reputation beyond reputeBass Man has a reputation beyond reputeBass Man has a reputation beyond repute
If it's a 4wd, you can run it like this: Motor, 3speed, Kicker case, Sammy case. If the lockup works, then it will cruise awesome and you can have dual cases! If it's 2wd, give it to Myron.
Bass Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2009, 10:54 PM   #4
MSuits

MSuits has a reputation beyond reputeMSuits has a reputation beyond reputeMSuits has a reputation beyond reputeMSuits has a reputation beyond reputeMSuits has a reputation beyond reputeMSuits has a reputation beyond reputeMSuits has a reputation beyond reputeMSuits has a reputation beyond reputeMSuits has a reputation beyond reputeMSuits has a reputation beyond reputeMSuits has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by zorproducts View Post
If that is a GMC 3 speed auto 2wd Tracker auto I will take it off your hands (if you have all the stuff to go with it). I have a very good 5 speed 2wd for trackers, direct bolt onto motor, larger clutch (than 5 speed Samurai), little modification reguired to cross member (I usually just weld a plate on and extend the bolt pattern forward for trans). You need to run a stubby intermediate shaft just like with the 2wd auto. 65 to 70 with an auto will be above 4500 rpms even with the 16v. Autos are the bomb for crawling but I prefer to have them in trailer queens. If you want the best of both worlds the auto may not make you happy.

MY
Yes, it is the GM 2wd auto. I still want to run it. Would just like to able to manage 65mph. Its pretty much is a trailor queen now, but its always nice to drive around every now and then for fun. If I don't use it I will let you know.

Just wondering what to expect from 5.13 r&ps and a 6.5 case with the auto, and what setups others have used with what results.
Old 07-25-2009, 11:02 PM   #5
phloop
Bacon is the answer

phloop has a reputation beyond reputephloop has a reputation beyond reputephloop has a reputation beyond reputephloop has a reputation beyond reputephloop has a reputation beyond reputephloop has a reputation beyond reputephloop has a reputation beyond reputephloop has a reputation beyond reputephloop has a reputation beyond reputephloop has a reputation beyond reputephloop has a reputation beyond repute
If the gearing is too low, you can always try the 4.62's. Those will bring up your top speed. Might be something to think about.

Union hall 3B

Living life a half bubble off.

pie

0-1

I'm singing dammit!
phloop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2009, 11:09 PM   #6
MSuits

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bass Man View Post
If it's a 4wd, you can run it like this: Motor, 3speed, Kicker case, Sammy case. If the lockup works, then it will cruise awesome and you can have dual cases! If it's 2wd, give it to Myron.
Yes, daul cases would be the hot ticket, but would come with a big price tag thats not in my current budget.
Old 07-25-2009, 11:11 PM   #7
MSuits

Quote:
Originally Posted by phloop View Post
If the gearing is too low, you can always try the 4.62's. Those will bring up your top speed. Might be something to think about.
Thats one of the directions I have thought of going.
Old 07-26-2009, 07:51 AM   #8
zorproducts
God blessed America

zorproducts has a reputation beyond reputezorproducts has a reputation beyond reputezorproducts has a reputation beyond reputezorproducts has a reputation beyond reputezorproducts has a reputation beyond reputezorproducts has a reputation beyond reputezorproducts has a reputation beyond reputezorproducts has a reputation beyond reputezorproducts has a reputation beyond reputezorproducts has a reputation beyond reputezorproducts has a reputation beyond repute
Last rig I built with a 16v, 2wd auto, 6:4 to 1, 5:29 R&P and 36" tires did 55 mph at 4200 rpm. Not that much to drive on the highway on 100 mile trips.

MY
Brass shift sheets T-BRA & THONG, MY-SIDE1 & 2 CV kits, SNATCH "the best t-case cradle". TRAIL-GEAR Authorized Dealer. ZOR Bumpers! See that little set of scales over to the lower left? Give me reputation IF I HAVE helped you and I will be happy!

Stay outta my tree! And the tree next to my tree and the trees next to that! Or any tree made out of wood!
Old 07-27-2009, 11:36 AM   #9
LA-1 Performance
Hollywood

LA-1 Performance has a reputation beyond reputeLA-1 Performance has a reputation beyond reputeLA-1 Performance has a reputation beyond reputeLA-1 Performance has a reputation beyond reputeLA-1 Performance has a reputation beyond reputeLA-1 Performance has a reputation beyond reputeLA-1 Performance has a reputation beyond reputeLA-1 Performance has a reputation beyond reputeLA-1 Performance has a reputation beyond reputeLA-1 Performance has a reputation beyond reputeLA-1 Performance has a reputation beyond repute
Trans 2 WD / 4 WD gearing?

My ..... What's the deference in a GM 2 wheel drive 3 speed auto and 4 wheel drive in gearing?
88 Samurai, 1.6 16V EFI, Spidertrax 9 Axles, Alum Chunks 5.42 Detroit's, 4 linked, 16" Bilstein coilovers shocks, Fox bump stops, Tube chassis, Carbeau seats, Power tank, 17"X10" beadlocks, 40" Maxxis creep crawlers, Anti Rock Bar, 3 Speed Auto with a Rock4x4 Kicker 3 and twin stick 6.5.1 box in a T/T mount, PSC full Hydro, Comp fiberglass hood, Flame out Sys, and a O shit handle.....
LA-1 Performance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 04:00 PM   #10
flashboiler

flashboiler has a reputation beyond reputeflashboiler has a reputation beyond reputeflashboiler has a reputation beyond reputeflashboiler has a reputation beyond reputeflashboiler has a reputation beyond reputeflashboiler has a reputation beyond reputeflashboiler has a reputation beyond reputeflashboiler has a reputation beyond reputeflashboiler has a reputation beyond reputeflashboiler has a reputation beyond reputeflashboiler has a reputation beyond repute
Hey Msuits,

My Sammy, 16V with the TT 4.9:1 tcase and 4.62's on 33's

I feel my rpm is a little high on the highway. It was about perfect with the 1.3 but the 16V is a stroker and I'd love it to be a little quieter on the highway and be able to lug it down just a little on the longer trips.

Offroad I'm pretty happy, haven't needed taller gears.

Would be nice to lower the highway rpm about 800 to 1000rpm... In fact I'm putting in a 86 trans to get the lower rpm 5th.

But, my gears work pretty good, just a little to much rpm for me to consider it perfect when cruising 65mph for hours on end.
flashboiler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 04:46 PM   #11
zorproducts
God blessed America

Quote:
Originally Posted by LA-1 Performance View Post
My ..... What's the deference in a GM 2 wheel drive 3 speed auto and 4 wheel drive in gearing?
Somebody else is going to have to answer that, I only use it cuz it is short.

MY

Old 07-27-2009, 07:08 PM   #12
MSuits

Quote:
Originally Posted by flashboiler View Post
Hey Msuits,

My Sammy, 16V with the TT 4.9:1 tcase and 4.62's on 33's

I feel my rpm is a little high on the highway. It was about perfect with the 1.3 but the 16V is a stroker and I'd love it to be a little quieter on the highway and be able to lug it down just a little on the longer trips.

Offroad I'm pretty happy, haven't needed taller gears.

Would be nice to lower the highway rpm about 800 to 1000rpm... In fact I'm putting in a 86 trans to get the lower rpm 5th.

But, my gears work pretty good, just a little to much rpm for me to consider it perfect when cruising 65mph for hours on end.
Sounds like you are still using a sammie 5 spd. I was worried about the 3 spd auto cause it has no overdrive. I have a 89 5 speed and a 86/87 but would rather use the auto as long as its somewhat steetable. Once I get my cromo front shafts put in I may up the tire size to the 34/35 range. (maybe)
Old 07-27-2009, 08:20 PM   #13
kamikaze

kamikaze has a reputation beyond reputekamikaze has a reputation beyond reputekamikaze has a reputation beyond reputekamikaze has a reputation beyond reputekamikaze has a reputation beyond reputekamikaze has a reputation beyond reputekamikaze has a reputation beyond reputekamikaze has a reputation beyond reputekamikaze has a reputation beyond reputekamikaze has a reputation beyond reputekamikaze has a reputation beyond repute
i would say run it with your current set-up and see if you like it or not. if worse comes to worse swap in some 4.62's..
kamikaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 09:13 PM   #14
Bass Man

Bass Man has a reputation beyond reputeBass Man has a reputation beyond reputeBass Man has a reputation beyond reputeBass Man has a reputation beyond reputeBass Man has a reputation beyond reputeBass Man has a reputation beyond reputeBass Man has a reputation beyond reputeBass Man has a reputation beyond reputeBass Man has a reputation beyond reputeBass Man has a reputation beyond reputeBass Man has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSuits View Post
Sounds like you are still using a sammie 5 spd. I was worried about the 3 spd auto cause it has no overdrive.
Lockup drops you down pretty good... It's like OD.
Old 07-29-2009, 07:45 AM   #15
John Deere

John Deere has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Deere has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Deere has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Deere has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Deere has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Deere has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Deere has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Deere has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Deere has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Deere has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Deere has a reputation beyond repute
Msuits, a three speed with the lock-up working will be the same as fourth gear in your current setup (1:1 ratio). The extra power of the 16v will let you pull taller gears and/or bigger tires on the street, and with the torque converter you will still gain in your effective crawl ratio.
La-1 performance, two or four wheel drive doesn't change the final drive ratio on these critters. A rule of thumb on automatics is; 8v 3pd = 4.62 16v 3spd = 4.30 16v 4spd = 5.12. I'm sure there is an exception to this rule, but I am unaware of it. HTH
John Deere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 07:51 PM   #16
Bass Man

Rep added ^^^ Nice post, thanks.
Old 07-30-2009, 05:46 PM   #17
MSuits

So how do I make sure the lockup is working? What do I have to do?
Old 07-31-2009, 11:04 PM   #18
Mope

Mope has a reputation beyond reputeMope has a reputation beyond reputeMope has a reputation beyond reputeMope has a reputation beyond reputeMope has a reputation beyond reputeMope has a reputation beyond reputeMope has a reputation beyond reputeMope has a reputation beyond reputeMope has a reputation beyond reputeMope has a reputation beyond reputeMope has a reputation beyond repute
With your current gearing, 33's, and the 3 speed auto trans you'll be 5600 rpm at 65 mph. Without an overdrive, I'd definitely look into some 4.62's or even 4.30's. The 4.30's would drop you about 1000 rpm at 65.
Mope is offline   Reply With Quote