Go Back   Zukikrawlers > Members Location > Pacific Region
Photo Gallery Home Forum FlashChat Email

Pacific Region California | Nevada | Oregon | Washington | Hawaii

Old 01-20-2014, 10:08 AM   #1
lunchbox

lunchbox has a reputation beyond reputelunchbox has a reputation beyond reputelunchbox has a reputation beyond reputelunchbox has a reputation beyond reputelunchbox has a reputation beyond reputelunchbox has a reputation beyond reputelunchbox has a reputation beyond reputelunchbox has a reputation beyond reputelunchbox has a reputation beyond reputelunchbox has a reputation beyond reputelunchbox has a reputation beyond repute
RE: Craigslist Ad for Rebuilt Tranny

So here in Southern California there's a guy on Craigslist that's been advertising Rebuild Samurai Transmissions for quite sometime... so I'm curious if anyone has every got one from him? if so how'd it work out? And was it a smooth transaction?

I mean it seems like a fair price:

http://sandiego.craigslist.org/csd/ptd/4294886603.html
lunchbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 10:46 AM   #2
chad reed

chad reed has a reputation beyond reputechad reed has a reputation beyond reputechad reed has a reputation beyond reputechad reed has a reputation beyond reputechad reed has a reputation beyond reputechad reed has a reputation beyond reputechad reed has a reputation beyond reputechad reed has a reputation beyond reputechad reed has a reputation beyond reputechad reed has a reputation beyond reputechad reed has a reputation beyond repute
A friend got one a while back and seems to working good so far.

Maker of the sheep stick
chad reed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 01:12 PM   #3
badzook

badzook has a reputation beyond reputebadzook has a reputation beyond reputebadzook has a reputation beyond reputebadzook has a reputation beyond reputebadzook has a reputation beyond reputebadzook has a reputation beyond reputebadzook has a reputation beyond reputebadzook has a reputation beyond reputebadzook has a reputation beyond reputebadzook has a reputation beyond reputebadzook has a reputation beyond repute
That's the same exact add with pictures and everything for a guy that claims to be out of Everett Washington. Same picture and add just a different phone number.. Weird

http://portland.craigslist.org/wsc/ptd/4294722094.html
badzook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 02:39 PM   #4
crisbee1

crisbee1 has a reputation beyond reputecrisbee1 has a reputation beyond reputecrisbee1 has a reputation beyond reputecrisbee1 has a reputation beyond reputecrisbee1 has a reputation beyond reputecrisbee1 has a reputation beyond reputecrisbee1 has a reputation beyond reputecrisbee1 has a reputation beyond reputecrisbee1 has a reputation beyond reputecrisbee1 has a reputation beyond reputecrisbee1 has a reputation beyond repute
$50 more in Everett. The California model must be govt. subsidized
crisbee1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 02:45 PM   #5
lunchbox

lunchbox has a reputation beyond reputelunchbox has a reputation beyond reputelunchbox has a reputation beyond reputelunchbox has a reputation beyond reputelunchbox has a reputation beyond reputelunchbox has a reputation beyond reputelunchbox has a reputation beyond reputelunchbox has a reputation beyond reputelunchbox has a reputation beyond reputelunchbox has a reputation beyond reputelunchbox has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by crisbee1 View Post
$50 more in Everett. The California model must be govt. subsidized
LOLz
Old 02-10-2014, 02:33 PM   #6
lunchbox

Ok, so I went ahead and decided to check out this Craigslister... long story short, he's legit and it is the same guy advertising in multiple locations.

Here's the basics... the dude's name is John, runs a small shop in Longbeach that appears to solely focus on the samurai transmission and transfer cases. We runs ads on Craigslist all over the western US, supplying rebuilt transmissions & Tcases as far north as Everett, WA and as far east as New Mexico. He also sells them on eBay.

My Experience:
Being the skeptical shopper you never know what you're going to get off of craigslist sometimes... so I first sent an email to John and had a list of questions which he kindly answered and added that if I had any other questions, feel free to call him... so I did. During the call I explained that I had a spare tcase (w/ all the gears, parts etc.) that I wanted to get rebuilt with 6.5 gears as well as pick up a rebuilt transmission. After chit-chatting for a bit, we made arrangements to meet him at his shop in Longbeach the following Saturday. Saturday came, I made the drive up with the transfer case and parts in tow. John's shop isn't much to look at, but once inside he got straight to business... we covered all the bases, he explained that if he found any oddities he'd call, then we chatted some more which gave him an opportunity to share his opinion on clutches, tcase shifters option, etc., he seemed to be extremely knowledgeable about the Samurai Drivetrain. So once we finished up I told him I'd be up the following weekend to pick everything up, he said OK and I was on my way back to San Diego.

Being true to his word he touched base with me on Thursday, explained that the shifter forks in the Tcase were done and offered to replace them and add the cost to the total bill. The following day I drove up, rolled right in and everything was sitting on the counter for me ready to go. John seems like a standup guy, offers a 12 month warranty on his labor and seems to know his $h1t. Anyway walked around the shop a bit and snapped some photos for those who are curious.

Old 02-10-2014, 03:08 PM   #7
crisbee1

crisbee1 has a reputation beyond reputecrisbee1 has a reputation beyond reputecrisbee1 has a reputation beyond reputecrisbee1 has a reputation beyond reputecrisbee1 has a reputation beyond reputecrisbee1 has a reputation beyond reputecrisbee1 has a reputation beyond reputecrisbee1 has a reputation beyond reputecrisbee1 has a reputation beyond reputecrisbee1 has a reputation beyond reputecrisbee1 has a reputation beyond repute
Good looking stuff!
crisbee1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 02:42 PM   #8
jkrohn1986

jkrohn1986 has a reputation beyond reputejkrohn1986 has a reputation beyond reputejkrohn1986 has a reputation beyond reputejkrohn1986 has a reputation beyond reputejkrohn1986 has a reputation beyond reputejkrohn1986 has a reputation beyond reputejkrohn1986 has a reputation beyond reputejkrohn1986 has a reputation beyond reputejkrohn1986 has a reputation beyond reputejkrohn1986 has a reputation beyond reputejkrohn1986 has a reputation beyond repute
The links don't work anymore, can you post a new link or info for contact and prices?
jkrohn1986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 03:41 PM   #9
DemoMike

DemoMike has a reputation beyond reputeDemoMike has a reputation beyond reputeDemoMike has a reputation beyond reputeDemoMike has a reputation beyond reputeDemoMike has a reputation beyond reputeDemoMike has a reputation beyond reputeDemoMike has a reputation beyond reputeDemoMike has a reputation beyond reputeDemoMike has a reputation beyond reputeDemoMike has a reputation beyond reputeDemoMike has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkrohn1986 View Post
The links don't work anymore, can you post a new link or info for contact and prices?
Just search "suzuki" under auto parts on Los Angeles Craigslist. Any "new" CL link will expire over time...
DemoMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 10:08 PM   #10
FRAGzilla187

FRAGzilla187 is an unknown quantity at this point
thanks for the write up! I'm sure it'll be greatly appreciated for time to come
FRAGzilla187 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 10:09 AM   #11
jrnm

jrnm has a reputation beyond reputejrnm has a reputation beyond reputejrnm has a reputation beyond reputejrnm has a reputation beyond reputejrnm has a reputation beyond reputejrnm has a reputation beyond reputejrnm has a reputation beyond reputejrnm has a reputation beyond reputejrnm has a reputation beyond reputejrnm has a reputation beyond reputejrnm has a reputation beyond repute
so what is the name of the business? There are 178 listings in L A for Suzuki transmission.

Proud builder of the one and only SUZUKI NADA JEEP.

"Stercus accidit"
jrnm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 01:03 PM   #12
lunchbox

It's not listed as a business, but here's a link to The Latest Ad
Old 02-14-2014, 03:02 AM   #13
dogonmut

dogonmut has a reputation beyond reputedogonmut has a reputation beyond reputedogonmut has a reputation beyond reputedogonmut has a reputation beyond reputedogonmut has a reputation beyond reputedogonmut has a reputation beyond reputedogonmut has a reputation beyond reputedogonmut has a reputation beyond reputedogonmut has a reputation beyond reputedogonmut has a reputation beyond reputedogonmut has a reputation beyond repute
That guy must own stock in a silver paint company.
Old 02-14-2014, 10:22 AM   #14
jrnm

jrnm has a reputation beyond reputejrnm has a reputation beyond reputejrnm has a reputation beyond reputejrnm has a reputation beyond reputejrnm has a reputation beyond reputejrnm has a reputation beyond reputejrnm has a reputation beyond reputejrnm has a reputation beyond reputejrnm has a reputation beyond reputejrnm has a reputation beyond reputejrnm has a reputation beyond repute
thanks, was hoping he did auto's

Proud builder of the one and only SUZUKI NADA JEEP.

"Stercus accidit"
jrnm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 10:39 AM   #15
lunchbox

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogonmut View Post
That guy must own stock in a silver paint company.
The guy drops the parts into a chemical bath, then once they're cleaned off he has guy prep them then paint them... the look really good in person. I almost want to put the transfer case on the coffee table for a conversation piece!