Go Back   Zukikrawlers > Technical > Suzuki Engine
Photo Gallery Home Forum FlashChat Email

Suzuki Engine Discuss all your engine questions, troubles, and tech in this area.

Old 12-31-2013, 08:20 AM   #1
steve1814

steve1814 has a reputation beyond reputesteve1814 has a reputation beyond reputesteve1814 has a reputation beyond reputesteve1814 has a reputation beyond reputesteve1814 has a reputation beyond reputesteve1814 has a reputation beyond reputesteve1814 has a reputation beyond reputesteve1814 has a reputation beyond reputesteve1814 has a reputation beyond reputesteve1814 has a reputation beyond reputesteve1814 has a reputation beyond repute
G13BB 16-valve SOHC in samurai?

Has Anyone ever done this swap? I did search, and saw the motor hinted at a few time in some threads, but never found one that had the motor swapped in.

Cheers,
Steve

steve1814 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 06:00 PM   #2
Nagtrainer

Nagtrainer has a reputation beyond reputeNagtrainer has a reputation beyond reputeNagtrainer has a reputation beyond reputeNagtrainer has a reputation beyond reputeNagtrainer has a reputation beyond reputeNagtrainer has a reputation beyond reputeNagtrainer has a reputation beyond reputeNagtrainer has a reputation beyond reputeNagtrainer has a reputation beyond reputeNagtrainer has a reputation beyond reputeNagtrainer has a reputation beyond repute
Yup, Sent ya PM..

Got lots of notes on this swap. What would you like to know?

1986 SCORE Class 3 Samurai with DOHC 1.3L Crower Cam & Rods, Fabbed Block girdle, ghetto block guard, GSXR600 ITB's Custom one off header. The Hybrid of Hybrid rear axles with ford 9" Spool and 28 spline axles, Nissan 240SX brakes, Hybrid front axle (in the process of fabbing) Snatch, Panty Liner, Twin Stick, Stage 3 clutch, MicroSquirt, FLIR, Lowrance Navigation, Yaesu 2 way, Parker Air, Sigtronic intercom.
Nagtrainer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 06:09 AM   #3
steve1814

steve1814 has a reputation beyond reputesteve1814 has a reputation beyond reputesteve1814 has a reputation beyond reputesteve1814 has a reputation beyond reputesteve1814 has a reputation beyond reputesteve1814 has a reputation beyond reputesteve1814 has a reputation beyond reputesteve1814 has a reputation beyond reputesteve1814 has a reputation beyond reputesteve1814 has a reputation beyond reputesteve1814 has a reputation beyond repute
My main question is: was it worth it?

Here is my dilemma: I have been wanting to do the 1.6 16V swap, but it seems that locating a good used engine that is not over 100,000 miles is about impossible. I have thought about buying a complete one that runs and just having it rebuilt. I have the entire harness, ECU (1995 M/T), and a set of new mounts for the 1.6 already. Recently I came across a brand new G13bb at a good price-it comes complete and has 0 miles. I would need to pick up an ECU and the wiring but I gather that the engine is "drop in" as far as mounts and the tranny goes, but there are changes necessary to the 13bb that are needed as well.

So, that is where I am at. I have yet to make up my mind as a new engine appeals to me, but the power gain with the 1.6, and the tons of support that comes with it keeps me from pulling the trigger on the new one.

Cheers,
Steve

steve1814 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 08:52 AM   #4
Nagtrainer

Nagtrainer has a reputation beyond reputeNagtrainer has a reputation beyond reputeNagtrainer has a reputation beyond reputeNagtrainer has a reputation beyond reputeNagtrainer has a reputation beyond reputeNagtrainer has a reputation beyond reputeNagtrainer has a reputation beyond reputeNagtrainer has a reputation beyond reputeNagtrainer has a reputation beyond reputeNagtrainer has a reputation beyond reputeNagtrainer has a reputation beyond repute
You would be amazed at the difference and drivability. Even stock the G13BB works real well and has plenty of poop to do just about anything. When I first installed mine and had it running, I was getting unbelievable fuel economy with a Stock engine and ECU, I had 31" tire and stock drivetrain. I was able to pull fifth with no real issue. If I could keep my right foot out of the throttle I was able to get 29MPG average, but that was kinda difficult for me (I had a few speeding ticket with it). I would do it again if I could my hands on a 98-2000 Swift.

As far as support, it's out there, but on different forums, like TeamSwift... And if you want to go wild with one, Suzuki Racing Development out of Florida has all the go fast stuff.

1986 SCORE Class 3 Samurai with DOHC 1.3L Crower Cam & Rods, Fabbed Block girdle, ghetto block guard, GSXR600 ITB's Custom one off header. The Hybrid of Hybrid rear axles with ford 9" Spool and 28 spline axles, Nissan 240SX brakes, Hybrid front axle (in the process of fabbing) Snatch, Panty Liner, Twin Stick, Stage 3 clutch, MicroSquirt, FLIR, Lowrance Navigation, Yaesu 2 way, Parker Air, Sigtronic intercom.
Old 09-19-2017, 06:19 AM   #5
Kickin45

Kickin45 has a reputation beyond reputeKickin45 has a reputation beyond reputeKickin45 has a reputation beyond reputeKickin45 has a reputation beyond reputeKickin45 has a reputation beyond reputeKickin45 has a reputation beyond reputeKickin45 has a reputation beyond reputeKickin45 has a reputation beyond reputeKickin45 has a reputation beyond reputeKickin45 has a reputation beyond reputeKickin45 has a reputation beyond repute
back from the dead

Zombie threads never die.....the come back years later

I just picked up one of these engines, was wondering how you routed the coolant from the rear of the engine to the radiator? I've noticed different intake manifolds that seem to have a coolant outlet at the front as well.
Kickin45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2017, 02:22 PM   #6
Nagtrainer

the original was from a swift. I used a nissan water neck and a buick skylark upper radiator hose. On the redo, I used a 16V intake and stock Sammy upper hoses.

Old 09-19-2017, 06:39 PM   #7
Bad Goat

Bad Goat is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kickin45 View Post
Zombie threads never die.....the come back years later

I just picked up one of these engines, was wondering how you routed the coolant from the rear of the engine to the radiator? I've noticed different intake manifolds that seem to have a coolant outlet at the front as well.
If you do this, please make a thread about it. It's something i'd like to do someday, right now i'm just playing with mega squirt and fuel injection on 8v 1.3.

Last edited by Bad Goat; 09-19-2017 at 09:56 PM.
Bad Goat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2017, 02:07 PM   #8
Kickin45

Kickin45 has a reputation beyond reputeKickin45 has a reputation beyond reputeKickin45 has a reputation beyond reputeKickin45 has a reputation beyond reputeKickin45 has a reputation beyond reputeKickin45 has a reputation beyond reputeKickin45 has a reputation beyond reputeKickin45 has a reputation beyond reputeKickin45 has a reputation beyond reputeKickin45 has a reputation beyond reputeKickin45 has a reputation beyond repute
Oh, it's happening.

The oil pan and pick up, intake and exhaust will need to be changed out from what I can tell.

I've sourced the oil pan, and I'm pretty sure the pick up as well.

I've seen the intake manifolds to move the water outlet on the cylinder head from the rear to up front such as on a standard Sami engine. For now I might just weld in a 90 on the back and plumb a hose up front.

Exhaust might be taken care of by a turbo manifold and just get it done right, right at the start.
Old 09-27-2017, 03:37 PM   #9
Nagtrainer

are you going turbo? if not the 1.6L 16V tri-Y work well

Old 09-28-2017, 09:33 AM   #10
Kickin45

It wont happen right off the bat, but it will eventually have one. for now though, it will end up being a standard header. ::
Old 10-09-2017, 09:52 AM   #11
Bad Goat

Bad Goat is an unknown quantity at this point
Any updates Kickin45?
Bad Goat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 02:25 PM   #12
Kickin45

Nope not yet. got the engine out of the Donor. Now to decide if it's getting rebuilt,going turbo straight off the bat or if I'll run it as is.

The engine definitely needs a reseal on it's exterior, so I may build a running stand for it and ensure I've got all the wiring correct before i knock my rig down for weeks while playing with wires.

I found the correct oil pan, found a turbo manifold that will work. and I believe i'm going to stick with the cooling outlet at the rear of the head and just plumb coolant to front of engine with tube/hose instead of attempting to import a Jimny manifold from Europe or Australia. My company builds an inline thermostat housing that might just fit my bill to have it up front.