Go Back   Zukikrawlers > Technical > Technical Section
Photo Gallery Home Forum FlashChat Email

Technical Section Technical, Modifications, Troubleshooting, and Repairs. You better wanna get greasy to be in here!

Old 08-26-2006, 10:14 AM   #1
holeshot

holeshot has a reputation beyond reputeholeshot has a reputation beyond reputeholeshot has a reputation beyond reputeholeshot has a reputation beyond reputeholeshot has a reputation beyond reputeholeshot has a reputation beyond reputeholeshot has a reputation beyond reputeholeshot has a reputation beyond reputeholeshot has a reputation beyond reputeholeshot has a reputation beyond reputeholeshot has a reputation beyond repute
Rear axle bearing install

Got another project here at the house and thought I would share some info, Might help someone to do this job on there own.

I'm installing new rear axle shaft bearings and axle seals. Reason for this is failed bearing and a leaking seal.(This is in a stock Zuk axle. Not mine.)

The first time I did this job (years ago) I didnt know that the E-brake cable was just held on at the brake backing plate with a pin. So I ended up removing the intire assembly from the backing plate. Dumb ass me. So I want to point this step out very clearly.

First thing to do is remove the pin holding the E-brake cable to the backing plate.

Just pull the cotter key and the pin will pull up and out.

E-brake cable removed.

This is the pin and keeper you will be removing.

Next remove the brake line from the wheel cylinder.

Of course buy now the Zuk is on jack stands. Now remove the 4 nuts at the axle end. This is all that holds the axle shaft in position.

I just leave the tire on, so that way I can use the tire to kick the axle out of the housing. Just kick the inside of the tire outward and the axle will come out.
The extra rubber brake hose you see is something I put on just to keep brake fluid from draing all over the place.

Once the axle is out I removed the tire. After that remove the 4 nuts that hold the brake drum to the axle shaft.

Now remove the brake drum. This will allow the backing plate to move outward and away from the bearing.

At this point I like to cap off the wheel cylinder to keep any crap out of the cylinder. I used a piece of old brake line folded over and smashed in a vice.

Now onto the fun stuff. Theres three pieces that have to come off the axle. The lock, The bearing, and the spacer. The lock and the bearing are a press fit and will not just pull off. The spacer will just pull off after the bearing is off.
This is how I remove the lock. I used an electric grinder and ground down the lock to the point of almost copletely through. But didnt go all the way through.

Now use a chisel and hit the lock at the point where it was ground down.

This will break the lock and it will now slide right off the shaft, and there will not be any marks in the shaft. I dont like using a torch for this because I fell it put to much heat to the axle shaft.

Now to remove the bearing I switched to this style grinder with a cut off wheel. Cut through the outter race in two places 180 degrees apart and peel the outter race off.

Now your left with the inner race and the spacer.

Now use the electric grinder and chisel again and remove the inner race. The spacer will just slide off.

This is what is left of what was just removed from the axle.

holeshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2006, 10:45 AM   #2
holeshot

holeshot has a reputation beyond reputeholeshot has a reputation beyond reputeholeshot has a reputation beyond reputeholeshot has a reputation beyond reputeholeshot has a reputation beyond reputeholeshot has a reputation beyond reputeholeshot has a reputation beyond reputeholeshot has a reputation beyond reputeholeshot has a reputation beyond reputeholeshot has a reputation beyond reputeholeshot has a reputation beyond repute
Now onto the reassembly.
Here are all the new parts.

Heres the part numbers.
Spacer

The spacer has two differant sides but only goes on one way. The concaved side will go on towards the backing plate. The flat side will be agenst the bearing.

Bearing

Lock

I bought all this from TT for $55 each side, So $110 plus frieght to do the complete axle. This also came with an axle seal that I havent shown yet.

I loaded all the new parts onto the axle shaft. In this order: Spacer, bearing, and lock put everything in the press and pressed on the new parts.

Here is what it should look like when finished.

I still need to replace the seals and put it all back together. So check back later to see the rest.

Old 08-26-2006, 01:06 PM   #3
zukking01

zukking01 has a reputation beyond reputezukking01 has a reputation beyond reputezukking01 has a reputation beyond reputezukking01 has a reputation beyond reputezukking01 has a reputation beyond reputezukking01 has a reputation beyond reputezukking01 has a reputation beyond reputezukking01 has a reputation beyond reputezukking01 has a reputation beyond reputezukking01 has a reputation beyond reputezukking01 has a reputation beyond repute
That is a beauty of a write up. Did you do a write up on your 16v harness?
Old 08-26-2006, 09:42 PM   #4
holeshot

Quote:
Originally Posted by zukking01
That is a beauty of a write up. Did you do a write up on your 16v harness?
Thanks, and sorry, no I dont have any write ups on the 16v harness.

Old 08-26-2006, 10:42 PM   #5
Zee
Super Moderator

Zee has a reputation beyond reputeZee has a reputation beyond reputeZee has a reputation beyond reputeZee has a reputation beyond reputeZee has a reputation beyond reputeZee has a reputation beyond reputeZee has a reputation beyond reputeZee has a reputation beyond reputeZee has a reputation beyond reputeZee has a reputation beyond reputeZee has a reputation beyond repute
As usual,a very detailed and informative write up.
Z

Zee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2006, 04:59 PM   #6
Itsmejoe231
Krawler

Itsmejoe231 has a reputation beyond reputeItsmejoe231 has a reputation beyond reputeItsmejoe231 has a reputation beyond reputeItsmejoe231 has a reputation beyond reputeItsmejoe231 has a reputation beyond reputeItsmejoe231 has a reputation beyond reputeItsmejoe231 has a reputation beyond reputeItsmejoe231 has a reputation beyond reputeItsmejoe231 has a reputation beyond reputeItsmejoe231 has a reputation beyond reputeItsmejoe231 has a reputation beyond repute
Very nice write up!!

Itsmejoe231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2006, 05:06 PM   #7
Bearkat

Bearkat has a reputation beyond reputeBearkat has a reputation beyond reputeBearkat has a reputation beyond reputeBearkat has a reputation beyond reputeBearkat has a reputation beyond reputeBearkat has a reputation beyond reputeBearkat has a reputation beyond reputeBearkat has a reputation beyond reputeBearkat has a reputation beyond reputeBearkat has a reputation beyond reputeBearkat has a reputation beyond repute
Great info.
Bearkat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2006, 07:31 PM   #8
holeshot

Now for the last few steps.
Pulling the old seal from the axle tube is a no big deal, just use a large pry bar and pry out the seal. Use some emery cloth and clean out any rust from the seal area.
One thing worth making note of is, The little black plastic thingy that sits in the axle tube inboard of the seal. This is in there to keep the axle shaft from damaging the seal on installation of the axle shaft. The axle shaft will rest on the plastic piece and not the seal.

Seal and part #

Not much to tell about putting in the seal. Just drive it in with a big socket. Just make sure it's square when installing. I like to put a bead of sealant around the axle flange where the backing plate bolts on.

This is the only type of sealant I will use. I feel its way better than anything else.

Now just slide the axle back in, Tighten up the bolts reattach the brake lines and bleed the brakes and your all done.

Thats all there is to it. Hope this will help one of my Zuki brothers.

Old 08-29-2006, 08:05 PM   #9
DesertZuki
Starting Over

DesertZuki has much to be proud ofDesertZuki has much to be proud ofDesertZuki has much to be proud ofDesertZuki has much to be proud ofDesertZuki has much to be proud ofDesertZuki has much to be proud ofDesertZuki has much to be proud ofDesertZuki has much to be proud ofDesertZuki has much to be proud of
Good stuff! Thanks for the work!

DesertZuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2006, 08:17 PM   #10
LostSoul
Team Jeep Rescue

LostSoul has much to be proud ofLostSoul has much to be proud ofLostSoul has much to be proud ofLostSoul has much to be proud ofLostSoul has much to be proud ofLostSoul has much to be proud ofLostSoul has much to be proud ofLostSoul has much to be proud ofLostSoul has much to be proud of
Very nice article, Hell if I was closer I would treat you to a beer for that one. Keep up the good tech, I am relatively new to these and always like to find easier ways to do things. I figured out the way to change the rear third without removing the brakes by tearing apart another spare axle I had, hehehehehe.

1987 LWB, 1.6L 8V, 6.4:1 T-case, Lincoln Locked Yodas front and rear, 5.29's, Mighty Kong with Gorillas, WARN 8000lb , Custom Tubed front end with 5.5" Stretch and Stinger, LED's rear, 38" TSL's.
LostSoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2006, 01:46 PM   #11
MotoDog

MotoDog is on a distinguished road
Rear Wheel Bearings

Wow, just in time! I got the drivers side leaking. Thanks for the GREAT pictures!

I like the idea of leaving the Tire ON to pull it apart.
I ordered parts for both sides, figure one side is leaking, the other just waiting to ruin a new set of brakes!

I am going to read the thread again and again before starting the job!
I hope I can do a near-as-good job!

Thanks from a Newbie!

Mike
Crestline, Ca/
MotoDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2006, 09:38 PM   #12
sfccotton
High Desert Dweller

sfccotton is a glorious beacon of lightsfccotton is a glorious beacon of lightsfccotton is a glorious beacon of lightsfccotton is a glorious beacon of lightsfccotton is a glorious beacon of light
Great Post! You saved me a lot of headaches. I just pulled my third member out and found this plastic piece in the bottom of the housing. I had no idea where it came from and searched Chiltons and still couldn't figure out where it came from. NOW I KNOW!
So off to the dealer and order a new one while my spool is getting installed!
TT Spool in the rear
33" M/TRs with 15x8 'D' window steel rims with 2 3/4" backspace
1.3 L w/TBI conversion w/Thorley Header
TT 2" Exhaust w/Magnaflow
PRP suspension seats
sfccotton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2007, 08:57 PM   #13
mikeymoto

mikeymoto is on a distinguished road
Sweet thread, gotta bring this one back to the top!

Today I pulled my rear end in preparation of lots of work (TT heavy duty axle housing, spool, 5.12s, new bearings and seals...the works) and I tried a really hare-brained idea to get the old bearing AND bearing lock ring off, involving my shop press and the brake backing plate. End result, one F'ed up backing plate. Sigh. Now I'm wondering if I should try finding a new one or just go to discs in back.

mikeymoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2007, 09:04 PM   #14
FGZ

FGZ will become famous soon enoughFGZ will become famous soon enough
I could send you a spare brake backing plate I have laying around if you pay shipping. I've gotten all kinds of stuff this way and it's time I pay it forward.

oh but if rear disks are an easy enough option, I'd love to have those over drums any day.
FGZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2007, 10:41 PM   #15
ack

ack has a reputation beyond reputeack has a reputation beyond reputeack has a reputation beyond reputeack has a reputation beyond reputeack has a reputation beyond reputeack has a reputation beyond reputeack has a reputation beyond reputeack has a reputation beyond reputeack has a reputation beyond reputeack has a reputation beyond reputeack has a reputation beyond repute
addendum for those who use non-OEM parts...

I am replacing bearings on a rear axle using non-OEM parts which are slightly different so I thought I would add some graphics that show the difference between the two types and how non-OEM parts fit. First Holeshot's picture of the bearing stack:

Here you can see (from left to right) the spacer, the bearing and the retainer.

This is what the OEM parts look like graphically:

and what a typical aftermarket bearing may look like:

Note that the aftermarket bearing has the spacer built into the bearing and both the spacer part of the bearing and the OEM spacer itself are contoured to fit snugly against the rounded edge of the axle lip (that curved line near the outer edges of the spacer representing the actual shape of the axle shaft). It is important to install the OEM spacer with the contoured edge against the axle lip so that the bearing is the correct distance from the drum flange!

'88 Samurai Offroader
'88.5 Samurai Tintop
'16 Ford Flex Limited AWD "Uber-mobile"
http://www.acksfaq.com

Last edited by ack; 05-31-2008 at 08:17 AM.
ack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2007, 11:50 PM   #16
zukinoobi

zukinoobi has a reputation beyond reputezukinoobi has a reputation beyond reputezukinoobi has a reputation beyond reputezukinoobi has a reputation beyond reputezukinoobi has a reputation beyond reputezukinoobi has a reputation beyond reputezukinoobi has a reputation beyond reputezukinoobi has a reputation beyond reputezukinoobi has a reputation beyond reputezukinoobi has a reputation beyond reputezukinoobi has a reputation beyond repute
Thanks... good to know!

"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity."
-Sigmund Freud, (1952)

"Pelosi snorts pig farts." -Zukinoobi, general disgust of US Congress, (2009)

"... he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." Christ, (~32)

"Our Southern border is RED DAWN without the parachutes!" Zukinoobi (2010)

zukinoobi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2007, 10:53 AM   #17
mikeymoto

mikeymoto is on a distinguished road
I decided I'm going to go discs in back. No sense putting effort into fixing drums. Compared to my Tacoma, I felt the brakes on my stock Samurai were excellent, though I think after the lift and 34s they would not feel as good any more. So I think the discs are in order anyways!
mikeymoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2008, 07:03 AM   #18
virginislandzuki

virginislandzuki has much to be proud ofvirginislandzuki has much to be proud ofvirginislandzuki has much to be proud ofvirginislandzuki has much to be proud ofvirginislandzuki has much to be proud ofvirginislandzuki has much to be proud ofvirginislandzuki has much to be proud ofvirginislandzuki has much to be proud ofvirginislandzuki has much to be proud ofvirginislandzuki has much to be proud of
Speaking of rear axles I'm having a pinging sound coming from there and then it goes away after I speed up..like a clang clang shik shik sound...now when I put it in 4hi it stops.
virginislandzuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2008, 11:14 PM   #19
smeth

smeth is on a distinguished road
Thanks for this thread, I just ordered the parts to do this. You can hear metal on metal on the passenger side and see oil on the inside of the tire.
smeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2008, 07:07 AM   #20
Dogfather

Dogfather is just really niceDogfather is just really niceDogfather is just really niceDogfather is just really nice
Holeshot dude that Rocks...... Great job... If you ever need a camera Biotch call me I'll come take the pictures...
Old 07-11-2008, 06:21 PM   #21
Rangerscott69

Rangerscott69 has a reputation beyond reputeRangerscott69 has a reputation beyond reputeRangerscott69 has a reputation beyond reputeRangerscott69 has a reputation beyond reputeRangerscott69 has a reputation beyond reputeRangerscott69 has a reputation beyond reputeRangerscott69 has a reputation beyond reputeRangerscott69 has a reputation beyond reputeRangerscott69 has a reputation beyond reputeRangerscott69 has a reputation beyond reputeRangerscott69 has a reputation beyond repute
Ya'll want pics of the 410 backing plates installed?
Rangerscott69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2008, 11:17 PM   #22
Itsmejoe231
Krawler

Itsmejoe231 has a reputation beyond reputeItsmejoe231 has a reputation beyond reputeItsmejoe231 has a reputation beyond reputeItsmejoe231 has a reputation beyond reputeItsmejoe231 has a reputation beyond reputeItsmejoe231 has a reputation beyond reputeItsmejoe231 has a reputation beyond reputeItsmejoe231 has a reputation beyond reputeItsmejoe231 has a reputation beyond reputeItsmejoe231 has a reputation beyond reputeItsmejoe231 has a reputation beyond repute
sure!!

Itsmejoe231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2008, 11:37 PM   #23
Rangerscott69

Rangerscott69 has a reputation beyond reputeRangerscott69 has a reputation beyond reputeRangerscott69 has a reputation beyond reputeRangerscott69 has a reputation beyond reputeRangerscott69 has a reputation beyond reputeRangerscott69 has a reputation beyond reputeRangerscott69 has a reputation beyond reputeRangerscott69 has a reputation beyond reputeRangerscott69 has a reputation beyond reputeRangerscott69 has a reputation beyond reputeRangerscott69 has a reputation beyond repute

Cant find my pics of it installed why I redid my bearings.
Rangerscott69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008, 01:50 PM   #24
brammie

brammie has a reputation beyond reputebrammie has a reputation beyond reputebrammie has a reputation beyond reputebrammie has a reputation beyond reputebrammie has a reputation beyond reputebrammie has a reputation beyond reputebrammie has a reputation beyond reputebrammie has a reputation beyond reputebrammie has a reputation beyond reputebrammie has a reputation beyond reputebrammie has a reputation beyond repute
I did my bearing today.
everything went great until I forgot to put the brake plate back on after cleaning the oil before I put on the bearing and the shrink ring
ooops!!!!
brammie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2008, 04:14 PM   #25
JasonR

JasonR has a reputation beyond reputeJasonR has a reputation beyond reputeJasonR has a reputation beyond reputeJasonR has a reputation beyond reputeJasonR has a reputation beyond reputeJasonR has a reputation beyond reputeJasonR has a reputation beyond reputeJasonR has a reputation beyond reputeJasonR has a reputation beyond reputeJasonR has a reputation beyond reputeJasonR has a reputation beyond repute
Excellent post. I used it today to replace my rear bearings. Went very smooth and took about three hours. I also replaced the ubolts and changed the rear diff gear oil. The 12 ton press from harbor freight worked excellent to press them back on. I can't believe how bad the bearings were and I can't believe how poorly they are sealed between the oil seal and outer hub. I can't believe there isn't a better seal surface or supplied seal other than rtv. I thought the vibration was from my tires but it was from the bearings. So so far after three days I have the spoa done, front/rear axle bearings, barfield joints rebuilt. Next is a regeared Tcase and ujoints all the way around.
JasonR is offline   Reply With Quote