Go Back   Zukikrawlers > Technical > Technical Section
Photo Gallery Home Forum FlashChat Email

Technical Section Technical, Modifications, Troubleshooting, and Repairs. You better wanna get greasy to be in here!

Old 05-08-2010, 10:20 PM   #1
shadowrider

shadowrider has a reputation beyond reputeshadowrider has a reputation beyond reputeshadowrider has a reputation beyond reputeshadowrider has a reputation beyond reputeshadowrider has a reputation beyond reputeshadowrider has a reputation beyond reputeshadowrider has a reputation beyond reputeshadowrider has a reputation beyond reputeshadowrider has a reputation beyond reputeshadowrider has a reputation beyond reputeshadowrider has a reputation beyond repute
how do you know when the rust is to bad?

hello all i have just gotten my first zuk and i know most will have rust under neath them and i have checked the frame for holes and have found none so fare but this thing has alot of rust under neath it and i had to crawl under it today to pry my cadalatic converter away from the frame and when doing so my pry bar knocked some good sized slivers off from somewhere under this and i noticed my floor boards will need to be redone but i am a little conserned about alot of the parts under it like leaf springs brackets under my floor that the leaf springs are on they are rusted pretty good
then i have rust on my axels and the U bolts that go around the axels that hold my leaf springs and shocks

so i am wondering how do you tell if the rust is just to bad to salvage ? here is a pic of my U bolts and a few of the frame

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

this is a section of the frame that sits right under the drivers seat this is where the big slivers of rust fell off when the pry bar taped against the frame
all these pics have rust that looks like itll just crumble when you tap on the parts

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

Last edited by shadowrider; 05-08-2010 at 10:27 PM. Reason: trying to fix the pics
shadowrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2010, 10:46 PM   #2
badzook

badzook has a reputation beyond reputebadzook has a reputation beyond reputebadzook has a reputation beyond reputebadzook has a reputation beyond reputebadzook has a reputation beyond reputebadzook has a reputation beyond reputebadzook has a reputation beyond reputebadzook has a reputation beyond reputebadzook has a reputation beyond reputebadzook has a reputation beyond reputebadzook has a reputation beyond repute
Sure makes me glad we don't salt the road over here.. I can get a parts samurai that's been sitting in the woods for 10 years and not find a bit of rust.

How bad is the body on that thing..
badzook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2010, 10:56 PM   #3
dadstoybox
THE MOTIVATOR

dadstoybox has a reputation beyond reputedadstoybox has a reputation beyond reputedadstoybox has a reputation beyond reputedadstoybox has a reputation beyond reputedadstoybox has a reputation beyond reputedadstoybox has a reputation beyond reputedadstoybox has a reputation beyond reputedadstoybox has a reputation beyond reputedadstoybox has a reputation beyond reputedadstoybox has a reputation beyond reputedadstoybox has a reputation beyond repute
that's why I said crawl under it and check everything when you were looking at it and called.

it can all be fixed , it takes time and patience is all. if we have to have a frame we will find one .

All the women in the world gave birth to children while my mother gave birth to a LEGEND
DTB Enterprises
Haul-A-Round Trailer Mfg.
Well Lit Offroad Lighting
QuadCarrier

Proud member of the bigflex padders union Local 10001
pie

RIP Brother
Zero

WTSS
FOREVER

dadstoybox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2010, 11:13 PM   #4
shadowrider

shadowrider has a reputation beyond reputeshadowrider has a reputation beyond reputeshadowrider has a reputation beyond reputeshadowrider has a reputation beyond reputeshadowrider has a reputation beyond reputeshadowrider has a reputation beyond reputeshadowrider has a reputation beyond reputeshadowrider has a reputation beyond reputeshadowrider has a reputation beyond reputeshadowrider has a reputation beyond reputeshadowrider has a reputation beyond repute
well from the looks of it the majority of the body is okay but there is alot of bondo on it i used to paint cars for a livin so i know about how to find the bondo wrk and from what i can tell i think it was rusted real bad to where it was eaten away and the guy just slapped the bondo on and did a crap job smothing it then painted it heck its not even sanded to smoth it out on alot of it but around the front window has a cpl spots of bondo then around all my fenders,my hood has a few spots,under the doors is kinda bad with bondo the door hinges have a little rust under the paint they tryed to cover the rust but you can tell it was there and probly still is ill be sanding the body down this week to see whats really going on under all that paint

dadstoybox hey it looks like i am gonna be able to work on this and have it parked till its done cuz now the wife is getting her a new car so ill be getting the exsplorer so i can have this as my toy to do what ever i want so if it needs to be parked for a while as we work on it then so be it

Old 05-08-2010, 11:30 PM   #5
Marshall

Marshall has a reputation beyond reputeMarshall has a reputation beyond reputeMarshall has a reputation beyond reputeMarshall has a reputation beyond reputeMarshall has a reputation beyond reputeMarshall has a reputation beyond reputeMarshall has a reputation beyond reputeMarshall has a reputation beyond reputeMarshall has a reputation beyond reputeMarshall has a reputation beyond reputeMarshall has a reputation beyond repute
Doesn't look that bad to me. What are your plans for the rig? I don't think it will give you any trouble until you go to weld something on in those areas, then you can just fix it.
Marshall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2010, 11:40 PM   #6
shadowrider

well i plan on makeing it nice DD but one that will still keep up with the pack on the trails or in the mud and stuff

i want to lift it with some nice good sized tires sturdy bumpers with a winch fresh clean paint job solid black with tan top,removable doors,cage on the inside,kc lights over the top or on each side of the window this is just a few ideas i would like to do