Go Back   Zukikrawlers > Technical > Technical Section
Photo Gallery Home Forum FlashChat Email

Technical Section Technical, Modifications, Troubleshooting, and Repairs. You better wanna get greasy to be in here!

Old 05-08-2010, 10:19 PM   #1
shadowrider

shadowrider has a reputation beyond reputeshadowrider has a reputation beyond reputeshadowrider has a reputation beyond reputeshadowrider has a reputation beyond reputeshadowrider has a reputation beyond reputeshadowrider has a reputation beyond reputeshadowrider has a reputation beyond reputeshadowrider has a reputation beyond reputeshadowrider has a reputation beyond reputeshadowrider has a reputation beyond reputeshadowrider has a reputation beyond repute
how do you know when the rust is to bad?

hello all i have just gotten my first zuk and i know most will have rust under neath them and i have checked the frame for holes and have found none so fare but this thing has alot of rust under neath it and i had to crawl under it today to pry my cadalatic converter away from the frame and when doing so my pry bar knocked some good sized slivers off from somewhere under this and i noticed my floor boards will need to be redone but i am a little conserned about alot of the parts under it like leaf springs brackets under my floor that the leaf springs are on they are rusted pretty good
then i have rust on my axels and the U bolts that go around the axels that hold my leaf springs and shocks

so i am wondering how do you tell if the rust is just to bad to salvage ? here is a pic of my U bolts and a few of the frame

[IMG]http://i749.photobucket.com/albums/xx133/kenny69dawn
/S7301252-1.jpg[/IMG]

this is a section of the frame that sits right under the drivers seat this is where the big slivers of rust fell off when the pry bar taped against the frame
all these pics have rust that looks like itll just crumble when you tap on the parts

/S7301278.jpg[/IMG]

/S7301280.jpg[/IMG]

shadowrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2010, 08:42 AM   #2
240hpsammy
beer is the answer

240hpsammy has a reputation beyond repute240hpsammy has a reputation beyond repute240hpsammy has a reputation beyond repute240hpsammy has a reputation beyond repute240hpsammy has a reputation beyond repute240hpsammy has a reputation beyond repute240hpsammy has a reputation beyond repute240hpsammy has a reputation beyond repute240hpsammy has a reputation beyond repute240hpsammy has a reputation beyond repute240hpsammy has a reputation beyond repute
probably looks worst then it is , just hammer down the rust clean and inspect

mine looked similar but the frame coating they originaly spray on keep the moisture
between the frame and the rust and its no good so i removed all of the coating
and rust and it looks brand new , i rented a drain inspection camera and looked
inside the frame and there were no rust at all even if the outside looked like yours!

MY BUILD THREAD

240hpsammy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2010, 12:23 PM   #3
Reddog1

Reddog1 has a reputation beyond reputeReddog1 has a reputation beyond reputeReddog1 has a reputation beyond reputeReddog1 has a reputation beyond reputeReddog1 has a reputation beyond reputeReddog1 has a reputation beyond reputeReddog1 has a reputation beyond reputeReddog1 has a reputation beyond reputeReddog1 has a reputation beyond reputeReddog1 has a reputation beyond reputeReddog1 has a reputation beyond repute
I would not be overly concerned with the rust on the axles, although I would replace the "U" bolts. I would be very concerned with the rust in the rest of the photos, especially where the springs mount to the frame. I would definitely repair those.

I suggest you look at your seat and seat belt mounting points.

Wayne
'91 EFI, DD, Hardtop, Partial EXO, A/C, Warn 8000 winch, 100 AMP GM Alt, Toy Celica P/S, TT YJ SPOA M/L, 5-leaf YJ, DT 8000 shocks, TT Knuckle Over Steering, Mighty Kong, 6.5 TC, Evil Twins, TT Full Skid Plate, Diff Guards, Fuel Tank Skid, Rock Sliders, Anti-Wrap Bar w/Axle Truss, Panhard Bar, Cooper SST - 30x9.5x15, 8" wide 2-1/2" BS wheels, Maxima rear Disc w/ebrake, rear locker, Thumb Throttle, CB Radio, towed 4 down

Reddog1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2010, 06:09 PM   #4
shadowrider

shadowrider has a reputation beyond reputeshadowrider has a reputation beyond reputeshadowrider has a reputation beyond reputeshadowrider has a reputation beyond reputeshadowrider has a reputation beyond reputeshadowrider has a reputation beyond reputeshadowrider has a reputation beyond reputeshadowrider has a reputation beyond reputeshadowrider has a reputation beyond reputeshadowrider has a reputation beyond reputeshadowrider has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reddog1 View Post
I would not be overly concerned with the rust on the axles, although I would replace the "U" bolts. I would be very concerned with the rust in the rest of the photos, especially where the springs mount to the frame. I would definitely repair those.

I suggest you look at your seat and seat belt mounting points.

Wayne

aaaaah good tip i didnt think to chk the seat belt and seat mounts i will go do that now

yea i wasnt to concerned with the axels but mainly the U bolts and them spring mounts as you called them the one on the drivers side as shown in one of the pics has a crack in it but i cant tell if it goes all the way threw or if its just a cpl layers

Old 05-09-2010, 07:53 PM   #5
cobleeze

cobleeze has a reputation beyond reputecobleeze has a reputation beyond reputecobleeze has a reputation beyond reputecobleeze has a reputation beyond reputecobleeze has a reputation beyond reputecobleeze has a reputation beyond reputecobleeze has a reputation beyond reputecobleeze has a reputation beyond reputecobleeze has a reputation beyond reputecobleeze has a reputation beyond reputecobleeze has a reputation beyond repute
Mine was so bad even the tub bolts pulled through.
cobleeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2010, 10:32 PM   #6
DaSamurai

DaSamurai has a reputation beyond reputeDaSamurai has a reputation beyond reputeDaSamurai has a reputation beyond reputeDaSamurai has a reputation beyond reputeDaSamurai has a reputation beyond reputeDaSamurai has a reputation beyond reputeDaSamurai has a reputation beyond reputeDaSamurai has a reputation beyond reputeDaSamurai has a reputation beyond reputeDaSamurai has a reputation beyond reputeDaSamurai has a reputation beyond repute
Rust never sleeps..
Old 05-09-2010, 11:09 PM   #7
LiftedZuki

LiftedZuki has a reputation beyond reputeLiftedZuki has a reputation beyond reputeLiftedZuki has a reputation beyond reputeLiftedZuki has a reputation beyond reputeLiftedZuki has a reputation beyond reputeLiftedZuki has a reputation beyond reputeLiftedZuki has a reputation beyond reputeLiftedZuki has a reputation beyond reputeLiftedZuki has a reputation beyond reputeLiftedZuki has a reputation beyond reputeLiftedZuki has a reputation beyond repute
Only good reason for living in the desert/Tri-Cities. My Sami has not a speck of rust.
www.lj10.com
LiftedZuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2010, 11:25 PM   #8
gr8games

gr8games has a reputation beyond reputegr8games has a reputation beyond reputegr8games has a reputation beyond reputegr8games has a reputation beyond reputegr8games has a reputation beyond reputegr8games has a reputation beyond reputegr8games has a reputation beyond reputegr8games has a reputation beyond reputegr8games has a reputation beyond reputegr8games has a reputation beyond reputegr8games has a reputation beyond repute
what is this rust stuff you speak of? don't think my sammi has any either

87 samurai, 2in lift shackles, 1.6 8v, 2in straight pipe exhaust with a glass pack, and 235/75/15 tires
gr8games is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2010, 11:35 PM   #9
dadstoybox
THE MOTIVATOR

dadstoybox has a reputation beyond reputedadstoybox has a reputation beyond reputedadstoybox has a reputation beyond reputedadstoybox has a reputation beyond reputedadstoybox has a reputation beyond reputedadstoybox has a reputation beyond reputedadstoybox has a reputation beyond reputedadstoybox has a reputation beyond reputedadstoybox has a reputation beyond reputedadstoybox has a reputation beyond reputedadstoybox has a reputation beyond repute
we have springs , u bolts , spring plates , rest can be fixed.

All the women in the world gave birth to children while my mother gave birth to a LEGEND
DTB Enterprises
Haul-A-Round Trailer Mfg.
Well Lit Offroad Lighting
QuadCarrier

Proud member of the bigflex padders union Local 10001
pie

RIP Brother
Zero

WTSS
FOREVER

dadstoybox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 12:24 AM   #10
jraoffroad

jraoffroad has a reputation beyond reputejraoffroad has a reputation beyond reputejraoffroad has a reputation beyond reputejraoffroad has a reputation beyond reputejraoffroad has a reputation beyond reputejraoffroad has a reputation beyond reputejraoffroad has a reputation beyond reputejraoffroad has a reputation beyond reputejraoffroad has a reputation beyond reputejraoffroad has a reputation beyond reputejraoffroad has a reputation beyond repute
I don't think any of that looks to bad. Kind of clean even for my area.

Knock the loose stuff off and do what you can to slow its spread.Don't worry about it until you can see through it.
jraoffroad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 02:05 AM   #11
The Factor

The Factor is an unknown quantity at this point
Rust is a SOB, somehow the PO managed to infect my zuk, even though it's been in SoCal its whole life. ------ She drove it in salt water a bunch and never washed it.
The Factor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 12:06 PM   #12
Reddog1

Reddog1 has a reputation beyond reputeReddog1 has a reputation beyond reputeReddog1 has a reputation beyond reputeReddog1 has a reputation beyond reputeReddog1 has a reputation beyond reputeReddog1 has a reputation beyond reputeReddog1 has a reputation beyond reputeReddog1 has a reputation beyond reputeReddog1 has a reputation beyond reputeReddog1 has a reputation beyond reputeReddog1 has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by jraoffroad View Post
I don't think any of that looks to bad. Kind of clean even for my area.

Knock the loose stuff off and do what you can to slow its spread.Don't worry about it until you can see through it.
I am miffed that you would say "Don't worry about it until you can see through it." Did you look at the spring hangers?

Wayne
'91 EFI, DD, Hardtop, Partial EXO, A/C, Warn 8000 winch, 100 AMP GM Alt, Toy Celica P/S, TT YJ SPOA M/L, 5-leaf YJ, DT 8000 shocks, TT Knuckle Over Steering, Mighty Kong, 6.5 TC, Evil Twins, TT Full Skid Plate, Diff Guards, Fuel Tank Skid, Rock Sliders, Anti-Wrap Bar w/Axle Truss, Panhard Bar, Cooper SST - 30x9.5x15, 8" wide 2-1/2" BS wheels, Maxima rear Disc w/ebrake, rear locker, Thumb Throttle, CB Radio, towed 4 down

Reddog1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 01:08 PM   #13
jraoffroad

jraoffroad has a reputation beyond reputejraoffroad has a reputation beyond reputejraoffroad has a reputation beyond reputejraoffroad has a reputation beyond reputejraoffroad has a reputation beyond reputejraoffroad has a reputation beyond reputejraoffroad has a reputation beyond reputejraoffroad has a reputation beyond reputejraoffroad has a reputation beyond reputejraoffroad has a reputation beyond reputejraoffroad has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reddog1 View Post
I am miffed that you would say "Don't worry about it until you can see through it." Did you look at the spring hangers?

Wayne
Yep, they don't look to bad, not much more than some surface rust. They frame shot looks worse, but still not to the point of being concerned.

I'll get you a pic of a northern Ohio lightened frame later.
Old 05-11-2010, 12:33 AM   #14
jraoffroad

Not the best pic, but it's typical of frames from around here. All the zuks around here that I know well enough to know the condition of the frames, except 1, have holes or repairs on the frames. It not a big deal in this area.

This has been here at least 3 years that I know of. I need to patch it up soon.
Old 05-12-2010, 01:02 AM   #15
shadowrider

well thanks for all your input fellas i did find that i have a few holes in my floor boards that i will have to replace so i know thats a bad spot nothin like being able to look down at the road while your driving